Ethanol resistant fuel line

old-tank

Ethanol is going to kill me and it ain't because I drink too much.  Last year I replaced all of the fuel lines on my 55 Century with  SAE 30R14 (Barricade-type hose).  Yesterday I noticed that the one between the frame and fuel pump was cracked and seeping when the 5 psi electric fuel pump at the tank was running.  If the available fuel was less volatile I would be only using the mechanical fuel pump and that line would not be under pressure.

When it cools off I need to replace all the lines on all of my cars, but with what?

3 hours ago, old-tank said:

Ethanol is going to kill me and it ain't because I drink too much.  Last year I replaced all of the fuel lines on my 55 Century with  SAE 30R14 (Barricade-type hose).  Yesterday I noticed that the one between the frame and fuel pump was cracked and seeping when the 5 psi electric fuel pump at the tank was running.  If the available fuel was less volatile I would be only using the mechanical fuel pump and that line would not be under pressure.

When it cools off I need to replace all the lines on all of my cars, but with what?

Seeing as how gas/ ethanol is the default fuel, and has been for awhile, it seems to me any fresh fuel line from a parts store is compatible with it. My 57 uses a rubber line from the tank to the pump no problems in 15+ years............Bob

• Like 1

Since about 1992 when ReFormulatedGasoline was in use in some areas, the fuel line specs were updated THEN to work better with the new fuel.  Or at least more resistant to it, than the prior hose rubber.  Stainless Steel Braided Hose looks neat for show cars or in places it's needed, BUT it still has rubber hose internally and WILL LEAK just as any normal rubber hose might.

Seems like NAPA has the newer-updated-spec fuel line hose?  Kind of like the barrier a/c hose for R134a a/c systems?

One way around this whole E10 situation might be some of the flexible plastic line, in a "steel" color, that could be joined/spliced as PVC pipe to make a durable fuel line for vintage vehicles, with a minimum of rubber in that complete fuel line?  Use light heat to form it around corners and bends, possibly.  A new cottage industry expansion for the repro fuel line vendors?

It's good that you found that seep rather than chase a decrease in fuel economy, much less "fuel smell", Old-Tank!

NTX5467

I checked the lines back at the tank where the fuel filter and electric fuel pump are located and they appear to be fine for now.  The one at the mechanical pump is exposed to more heat and that made be contributing and I drive this car at least 7000 miles a year.  Not that hard to change the line up front yearly!

• Like 1