Clutch

captndan

You will find shop manuals of the period to be rather incomplete from a contemporary standpoint. There is a logical reason for this. It has something to do with the typical master - apprentice structure of skilled labor 100 years ago. Imagine an eleven year (old) young apprentice working in no better than slave conditions just after the end of the Civil War. The Industrial Age has just started to roar. A feudal economy (I owe my soul to the company store) , produces the most famous wealth concentrated in the fewest hands , provided by the blood , sweat , tears , backs , and lives of disposable labor. Hey ! Ya don't even have ta BUY 'em here in the North ! Eleven year young kid is an apprentice foundryman. Works for Studebaker Brothers hoss drawn Carriage . Or Baldwin Steam Locomotive Works (my grandfather worked there in better times , late 'teens , early '20s) , Philadelphia , PA. Kid starts out fueling forge fires , mess up at his extreme peril. Works unimaginably hard. Learns on the job , and ends up at the right place 30 years later. Now a foreman , he is building the first automobiles ! Fast fwd. 30 more years. He is now a repository of the sum total of the entire institutional knowledge of the industry! And HE has an apprentice ! Foreman now making , what ? You tell me. Two bits an hour ? The kid ? Four cents ? (You would have to multiply by about 20 or 25 to translate into modern equivalent - still , do the math , skilled labor is VERY cheap). Foreman needs no manual. Kid neither. He too will learn on the job. 

So yes. Get a manual , sparse as it may be. But for a more comprehensive tutorial, please apprentice yourself to the Chrysler Products - General forum below. Some of those guys were , or still are foremen. And around here , skilled information , as was labor in days of old is VERY cheap , but of VERY great VALUE ! Here' hoping you too make foreman !    - Carl

• Like 1

I'll just cut to the chase.

A cursory examination of the car, the under carriage and the engine/transmission assembly should  reveal if the transmission and bellhousing can be removed without pulling the entire engine/trans. If so, do so. If not, remove the hood, the radiator and, possibly the headlight bar. Disconnect everything connecting the, aforementioned, engine/trans to the car. Remove the shift tower. Using a hoist or chain fall, snatch that sucker out. Separate the engine from the bellhousing and replace the clutch and T/O bearing.

Read this backwards for re assembly

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Now we're gettin somewhere.  Found out I just bought this car.  I tried to have the seller do the work but he reduced the price instead.    So now I'm stuck with the job.  I know Fords but this is my first Chrysler.  Where do I get a manual?

Not to over simplify the job, but it is replacing the clutch on a 90 year old car, not changing the O rings on the space shuttle boosters. If you really need a comprehensive set of instructions or a bloviated dissertation from an internet guru, then, maybe, you should farm the job out. It is a job that any mechanic and nearly any shade tree grease monkey would have jumped into, with both feet, armed with nothing but a set of open ends and a monkey wrench, Repair manual?!?!?! That's for sissies

• Like 2

Cap'n'  and all. This is a multiple plate clutch. Your car probably has a MP Clutch. Most likely similar to this '26 Cadillac. Might be some "do and don't" tips from the guys in Chrysler Products - General  below. That is where you are most likely to get specific info on your clutch. I would do a parallel posting there with more detailed needs than your title here has. Get that thing on the road best by asking the man who has done a clutch job similar to yours.  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, C Carl said:

the typical master - apprentice structure of skilled labor 100 years ago. Imagine an eleven year (old) young apprentice working in no better than slave conditions just after the end of the Civil War. The Industrial Age has just started to roar. A feudal economy (I owe my soul to the company store) , produces the most famous wealth concentrated in the fewest hands , provided by the blood , sweat , tears , backs , and lives of disposable labor. Hey ! Ya don't even have ta BUY 'em here in the North !

Please move next door to me,,,,or move in instead!

• Like 1

Remove the drive shaft and floor boards.

unbolt the transmission, slide it back and lift slightly.

remove the clutch and brake return springs

unbolt the rear half of the bell-housing , (the pedals are also attached ) 

unbolt the pressure plate

The tranny is lighter than the bell-housing

001.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Remove the drive shaft and floor boards.

unbolt the transmission, slide it back and lift slightly.

remove the clutch and brake return springs

unbolt the rear half of the bell-housing , (the pedals are also attached ) 

unbolt the pressure plate

The tranny is lighter than the bell-housing

Thanks 28 Chrysler. Your post is certainly more useful than making fun of a fellow with his first challenge of new/old car ownership!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

001.JPG

Great picture, It had me confused at first. Now I see it shows the three "ears" of the pressure plate that the throwout bearing presses against to release the clutch. It shows the clutch pedal pivot shaft with the two vertical arms that would press against the throwout bearing to push it against the ears. It shows the spline pattern in the center of the clutch disk, and inside that spline pattern it seems you can see the pilot bushing?

• Like 1