Taylormade

Engine Startup

edinmass    234

Working in the shop tonight, our local friend donated his oil pot to us. Thought it was worth a photo. He used a regulator and guage set up from harbor freight.

IMG_2885.JPG

Taylormade    156

I tapped the hole I drilled in the cap to match the threads on the fitting, screwed the fitting in and secured it with a nut on the backside.

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Working in the shop tonight, our local friend donated his oil pot to us. Thought it was worth a photo. He used a regulator and guage set up from harbor freight.

IMG_2885.JPG

Great minds think alike.  I used the regulator and gauge on my air hose connection, otherwise they look identical.

JACK M    421

This is a home made version of an accumulator.

A racing accumulator has a piston in it but may not be necessary.

The accumulator will hold oil pressure over oil that is pumped in it when the engine is running. (requires extra oil)

On the race car I put one of those remote oil cooler adaptors under the oil filter. The tee off of one of those lines to the accumulator.

Sometimes when driving in high speed circles the oil cant find its way back to the pan (ultimately the sump). The oil may be trapped by centrifugal force in the right side valve cover or maybe gets balled up on the crank shaft. If the pressure drops from lack of oil, the pressure above the oil in the accumulator will push this reserve oil into the system.

I also put a valve in this plumbing so that I can save the extra oil under pressure making it possible to  pre oil the system on a cold start up.