Stolen Oakland

Guest etolen

Guest etolen

just received a report of a stolen 1915 Oakland from Ohio.  Stolen out of a storage unit.  The car is blue with black fenders.   Car is pictured below.

58e658c4614ee_1915Oakland1.jpg.18494626f9292b88d3f66b5039acb387.jpgI

Thanks

Edited by etolen
Attached pictures (see edit history)

I certainly hope they find the thief and the car is returned to the owners unharmed.

I find this theft puzzling. Typically, when cars like this get stolen, they are inside an enclosed trailer and the thief is after the enclosed trailer and/or the towing rig.

How would a thief sell a car like this? Without a title, you can't send it overseas. Even if you disassemble it, authorities are going to do some internet searching and find all of the posts that relate to the theft. Shipping anything overseas now days requires a good bit of paperwork and it gets a lot of scrutiny. It's not a Camaro or Mustang, so it really doesn't have any value if you part it out. There is not a huge "black market" for 1915 Oakland parts. How many people are looking for 1915 Oakland parts and those who are belong to  same circles where this theft is being broadcast. There are only a few places you can advertise a car like this for sale, and, it is different enough that it's origins will be easily noticed.

I am also curious how the thief knew it was in a particular storage unit? I would assume that a thief who randomly breaks into a storage units is looking for electronics, tools, modern car parts, and anything else that could be sold or scrapped within a few hours or less.

Also, how did they get the car away from the facility? They either loaded it in an enclosed trailer  or they started it and drove it away. How many thieves have a truck and trailer or know how to start and drive a 1915 Oakland???!!!!!

I have a feeling there might be more to this story than we know.

Again, I hope the car is returned safely.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

http://www.hcca.org/contactus.html

What would the thief likely do? Sell it cheaply to an unsuspecting individual, without advertising of course? Or ship it overseas?

A 1915 Oakland is hardly a car that could be easily sold for a quick pay day.  A thief that would steal a car like this probably had a plan before it was stolen.  He probably either had a deal for parts or someone who would buy the entire car.  In my opinion, the most likely fate for the intact/complete car would be that it was shoved into a shipping container and shipped overseas.  That's the way it was done in Miami, Florida, either through the Port of Miami or the Port of the Miami River.

Damn the thieving bastard anyway,

Grog

• Like 1

Sometimes thieves are given shopping lists. Sometimes someone offers to pay a certain fee for certain items, like and engine and transmission out of certain vehicles. Thieves then sometimes steal an entire vehicle, sell the desired items, take off a few parts, and quickly crush the rest in small pieces. 

Other times there are divorce disagreements, etc. 

I really, really hope they recover the car and catch the thief. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...