September 1947

Restorer32

I have a stack of Motor Age magazines in my "auxiliary office" that I usually peruse for a few minutes each day. I enjoy reading them to get a feeling for the milieu of the times. Of particular interest is the "News Bulletin" section. From September 1947:

* Ford and union agree on new 2 year contract

* July lead output up 12,000 tons ! over 1946

* Ford says car price increase from $20 to $97

* British Austin to set up distribution system in US

* Chevrolet lowest priced car in most models, although Ford still leads in its 6 cylinder Tudor, Coupe and 4 door jobs. Plymouth still the lowest priced wagon

* Tucker has announced that sales of dealer franchises netted 6 million and stock sales 12 1/2 million

* Thermostatically controlled fans may be feature of some 1948 models

Well, I found it interesting anyway.

Yes, the old magazines are great to read the pulse of the auto industry at that point in time.  One of my favorite finds in one was that there was no truth to the rumor William Durant was going to use his holdings in Chevrolet to take over GM.  We all know how that worked out!

Terry

I had a bunch of old MoToR magazines and was surprised by some of the things I learned. For example in 1937 they said the average car is ready for an overhaul at 20,000 to 30,000 miles, there was an article on how the alert garage man should sell overhaul jobs. The magazine that year was full of ads for special piston rings for badly worn cylinders (to avoid reboring) and piston skirt expanders (to avoid buying new pistons).

The other big new item that year was heaters. I guess heaters were seldom seen before that, but there were dozens of ads for aftermarket brand heaters. 1937 and 38 seemed to be the big years for heaters.

Back then heaters were optional & lap blankets common. My '59 XK-150s owners manual had complete instructions for decarbonizing the valves (remove head). Interesting thing was the DOHC sprockets were on risers from the block so you unbolted the cams and could lift the head off leaving the timing chain in place. Quad-4 could have used that.

It's fun to look back at prices for CCCA classic cars in bygone days.  For instance, the Jan-1935-Feb Kelley Wholesale Blue Book lists the 1931 898 Auburn Speedster at $275, the 1930 L29 Cord Cabriolet at $215, and a 1925 Duesenberg Sedan for $50.  Other orphans did better, 1933 Stutz DV32 Speedster, $600, 1933 Marmon V16 Convertible cope, $700.  Oh, for a time machine....

Don't go back that far but remember new Florida homes for $5,000 that not everyone could afford, you have to factor in historic inflation & when I bought my home was running near 20%/year. Also if I lived in the 30's, I'd be near blind and deaf. These are the good old days.

On May 26, 2016 at 5:46 AM, Restorer32 said:

Well, I found it interesting anyway.

You are not alone!  I love reading old magazines to see what was "news" back then.  I sometimes come across facts I'd either forgotten or had never heard about before ... which then give more insight to the present & future.....  Very cool.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"We've misplaced feelings that we used to know" __ John Berry __ 'Standing On The Edge Of Goodbye'

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:26 PM, ScarredKnightfan said:

You are not alone!  I love reading old magazines to see what was "news" back then.  I sometimes come across facts I'd either forgotten or had never heard about before ... which then give more insight to the present & future.....  Very cool.

Yup, me too, always very interesting

Several copies of the St. Joseph, Michigan newspaper from early September 1947 came with my 1947 Custom Clipper. Interesting to read about what was going on in western Michigan and the country around the Labor Day holiday of that year. The papers were conveyed with the car when I sold it.

(o{}o)

On June 2, 2016 at 9:47 AM, poci1957 said:

Yup, me too, always very interesting

Indeed!  I've probably spent "way too much" time looking through old magazines ... LOL

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Beginning to think that I'm wasting time" __ Dobie Gray __ 'Drift Away'

We carry a 1967 Hemming's Motor News in the glove box of our 1934 Ford, just in case we need a good idea of how values have changed during our married life.  Home from oversea's and a civilian again,  I thought prices were high then, but was glad to have our 57 Porsche Speedster & a 57 VW rag top as daily drivers. (Both of which I sold for a profit but wish I still owned)  I'm glad I started in the hobby before

old cars became "Collector Cars" in the late 70's.