Generator brushes wanted

Hello,

well, we tried it at a special car electric store which has often old stuff but here : No success. Don't forget... I am sitting here in Germany. In USA as I needed a stop light switch for my 1955 Buick, I went to Napa and during a minute I got it there for 7.95. 

Thomas

Assuming this's from a car, and that car clubs there have been no help, you might try an electric motor repair shop, especially one that's experienced with vintage elec motors...Larry W had a good suggestion, that there should be brushes available you can size/shape down to what you need.

You might also mention what your starter is on; while my ignition catalog with starter numbers don't go back to 29, all the AL starters they do list have M-prefixes...MA/MZ-number,  etc...

If that's off something exotic or unusual, can you post pic of one; obsolete ign parts dealers here, like aerrebuild.com, could maybe replace them with pic/approx size...

Hi Thomas,

If the brushes are for a car starter motor you may want to give Lester Harris a call in Nevada.  I've had good luck with many pre-war car electrical parts from him.  He does not have an internet connection, only a land line.  Lester's phone number is 775 267-2559.  Please give a description of the starter and what kind of car it is use on.

Nevadavic 

Hi all,

Yesteryear helped me to find out the correct brush. It seems that the original tag on the starter is missing. So it is not possible to find out the model.

The starter is sitting on a engine by Continental which is build in in a German car, it is a Hansa A6 7seater sedan from 1929.

Yesteryear told me that an Autolite brush MH 54 is the right one after the sizes I gave to them. But for a set of 4 = 100,- USD? This sounds very high to me, or?

Kind regards

Thomas

It sounds very high to me too. I haven't bought brushes in a while but the last set I bought was $12 a pair. Now that I think of it, that was about 20 years ago ha ha.

Are you sure they don't make a brush that big in Germany, if not for a car then for a truck or tractor? As others have said, it is not hard to cut one down with file and sandpaper.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Thanks for your answers. Well, I am a bit unsettled... the guy told me, that it is very important to buy the correct brushes regarding the amount of copper in the brushes ( 6 Volt ) and that it is not too hard to damage the collector.

On Ebay is a replacement set for 35 USD made by Ohio. And I guess that a company here can make brushes for me. One asked me already for the size. But I was confused regarding the thing with the copper and hardness...

Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that I would worry about how often the starter is used if the engine starts on the first turn,  but continual cranking on a hard starting engine would cause more undue and excessive wear and tear on the starter.

Make sure they use oil light brass if you have one made for the minimal cost of it. Do not try and file one out as you will never get it perfectly round. After the high spots wear very fast it will be sloppy and you will wish you spent the $100.