1914 Buick

Joe in Canada

Where can I get information on 1914 McLaughlin Buick B 55 6 cyl. Pictures would be a helpful to see what is correct on the car. There is not much on the web as I am helping a fellow club member on this one who is looking to buy one that is for sale. It is about 7 Hr. drive one way to see it so he wants to be prepared.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Greg Lange in Michigan is a great guy and a storehouse of info on the "big 6" Buicks. I am not sure if he hangs out on the Buick section of AACA {he probably does}. But he is active for sure on "Brass Buicks" and Dean Tryon"s "cage valve Buick" group. 1914's are esp. rare and have numerous unique parts. There are only a handful of 14's in existence, counting both Buick and McLaughlin. McLaughlin specific info is almost non- existant as far as I know. "Cars of Canada" {Craven } has some info and a picture or two. Two important features are 1914 only; the rear spring arrangement is 3/4 eliptic rather than cantilever so frame is quite different, axle housing springs etc. And the engine crankcase has a air pump driven off the camshaft to supply air pressure to the gas tank, 1915 and 16 use a Stewart vacume tank. Rad shape , hood and cowl shape are different than 1915/16.

Greg in Canada

The B 55 is quite something. I have not heard of a surviving 5 pas. It would have to be a McLaughlin as all the U.S. Buicks were 7 pas. They are big cars. McLaughlin also cataloged a Roadster of which no intact examples are known to survive. There was a basket case example owned by a friend near me {sadly now deceased} that has gone to a new owner . {California I believe} He looked for B 54/ 55 information and parts for many years and did not come up with too much. Ralph Roberts in California has one of the few running B 55's and is quite enthusiastic about them. A rare car. I have a bunch of odds and ends for a C 55 that need a new home. Your friend has a rare jewel. I would really like to see some pictures.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

post-82877-143142728541_thumb.jpgThe car was stored for many years when found and moved to this building 99% there and yes it is a seven passenger McLaughlin. Are there any more 1914 B55 McLaughlin's around you know of. I talked the owner into registering with the AACA Forum and cut out the middle man.

Thanks for the info.

post-82877-143142728566_thumb.jpg

post-82877-143142728541_thumb.jpg

post-82877-143142728566_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Find now the car is not a 1914 Buick B55 as it is actually an aluminum bodied Buick M55 of one of 3 made and believed the only survivor as per museums records with the car. The car was in a museum in Québec that went bankrupt in 1988. The Buick then changed hands twice thrn put into storage until now. With any luck the car will be back on the road touring coming spring. Question is were many Buicks that vintage aluminum bodied?

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Nice Info. Very Cool. It is still a 1914 model though? The radiator and Delco starter/ generator/ ignition features are 1914. However, the vacuum fuel pumps were not used until the 15 Model year. This may have been an upgrade if it was not used until 1915. A photo of the carburetor side of the engine may also shed some light. Sometimes the Export stuff was not put into service until 1915 with the previous years parts. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

It is a 1914 model serial number 2000 the first of 3 made. The carb number is 50163 if that means anything and I have pictures of the drivers side but am having a hard time posting them. The distributer cap has been broken and glued so shopping for one if anyone has one. Will any other caps interchange? At one time someone had the bright idea to paint the walnut dash with black paint and drill a 3 in. hole in the glove box door. Could the hole be for a clock? Will all have to all come out to be stripped and redone as well as the wooden garnish moldings that were painted also. Another question is there is a raised piece of trim and an open slot behind it on the front edge of the running board between the doors. Is that a boot scraper as both sides has it?

Several things come to mind as you say that. If memory serves me correctly, speaking of the Buick line at least, the door hinge pins were on the outside on the 14's, and hidden on the 1915's. My car actually rolled off the production line around mid October of 1914 from the engine serial number. So it is coming up on it's 100th birthday. Your car however is a McLaughlin- Buick. And McLaughlin made their own bodies and did other changes in the early years. Also, the 1914 engines have an air pump on the side of the engine just behind the water pump that would pressurize the fuel tank with two or three pounds of pressure to feed fuel to the carburetor.

• 4 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Allen,

Might I suggest just starting a new post for your 1914 Mclaughlin rather than resurrecting someone else's 6 year old one.  A big benefit is you get notified with replies rather than having to go check yourself.

Scott

• Thanks 1