what kind o car is this?

Brad in Wisconsin

Found this while cruising the web............. TOWN OF DAVENPORT - Quick Access to Photos in "Davenport, Fact and Fancy" - Delaware County, NY Genealogy and History Site anyone know what kind of car it was before hotrodding? also look around there is a Case steamer stuck in a bridge and a early car that ended under a bridge also a brass T in the snow kinda nice!

Obviously it has been significantly modified from what it was originally. Saying that, the length of the hood reminds me of an early 6 cylinder Austin, about 1909 vintage. I suspect the wheels have been modified too as early 36 or 37 inch tires were hard to find when this car was "made".

I will be watching to see what the others think.

I've been to this place. They use to have a gas up there and it is, or was a museum in the 1980's that was owned by the State of New York. Had a working overshot water wheel that powerd a vintage wood working shop.

http://www.dcnyhistory.org/Fact_Fancy/images/5.12.jpg

Neat place. Dandy Dave!

the length of the hood reminds me of an early 6 cylinder Austin, about 1909 vintage.

Good observation, Lozierman. A photo I have of a 1909 Austin shows a hood with 16 louvres, looks exactly like this one.

Don

Do a Google search for a 1909 Austin and you will see what made me identify this mystery auto as an Austin. An Oldsmobile Limited had a long hood too, but the hood was much taller. The Austin motor sat on a sub-frame which made it sit lower in the chassis allowing for a shorter, in heighth, hood.

There are more Limiteds left than 6 cyl. Austins. In fact I had a 6 cyl Limited motor at one time that is now in the 7th known Limited out of about 500 produced.

You guys floor me!!!!!!!!!! so fast! I thought it might be an european machine due to the hub heavy hub area of the wood spoke wheel. Do you think the truss under the frame was "factory" or was that added after bouncing about Iowa for a few years. By the aged look of the car when the photo was taken, maybe it still survives or probably melted up in a scrap drive..

On the same site in chapter 5 photos, check out 5.09 and 5c (Help Keiser31) to show the picture???? what kind of milk truck and what is the icesaw engine!!! Fun fun FUN!!!

Judging by what I see I'd hope that this one could be counted as one of the survivor's. Notice the flat spots on both tires are no longer on the bottom suggesting the car has just been moved from it's long slumber to be revived by happy new owner visible above the drivers side door. Either that or as you said it's a victim of the scrap drive and somebody wanted to record it's last ride!

Howard Dennis

• 13 years later...

Wheel hubs and hood length / shape identify the Marmon 48. The hubs in particular. I know of no other car that had hubs like this. Body looks home made. I can't imagine that being a commercially produce roadster body. Very angular transitions between the vertical surfaces and the horizontal, particularly aft of the doors.  Circa 1920 ? remake of a Marmon 48 touring . Also wheel diameter is quite a bit smaller than stock. Once again suggests a post WW1 remake . Many / most of the large car tire sizes were discontinued during WW1 and if you wanted to continue driving a " brass era " , big car post war you had no choice other than to fit cut down wheels and smaller rims / tires. Photo looks to be later 1940's / early 1950's.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

As far as I know there are only a small handfull of known survivors {  possibly as few as 3 or 4 }. I have the front 1/2 of the body for the 4 cyl version { touring car }. All aluminium castings. What a way to make a body. Only 2 or 3 of those ones known as well. Just more junk to move but I can't bring myself to scrap it. A interest in Pre war stuff is a disease.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 6:52 PM, 1912Staver said:

Just more junk to move but I can't bring myself to scrap it. A interest in Pre war stuff is a disease.

You got that right! I may be in the same boat.

It is definitively NOT the OP car. However, a longtime good friend has a 1915 Marmon custom built roadster (known history back to new!). After the restoration was completed (some years back), they were curious about the the length of things. With me sitting in the driver's seat as though I was driving, my friend ran a tape measure. It was nine feet from my nose to the Motometer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1