Fabric U-joint wanted for Olds (pics)

I have been searching for years for a flexible fabric cords rubberized disk (whatever you want to call it) universal joint. It is for on my 1927 Oldsmobile. I have no idea what other years this style was used or if other makes shared it.

27Ujoint.jpg

27Ujoint2.jpg

What I have now is deteriorated and the plies are separating. This is actually two disks stacked together. I want to keep it original. If I cannot find this item then I will have to make some myself. The problem with that is finding an appropriate material.

Does anyone know what other makes may have used this? Or if anyone is reproducing it?

Dave Neuhaus

Rapid CNC

How about using one of those "Help" parts, available at most auto parts chains. "Universal Flexible Steering Shaft Coupler" (rag-joint repair kit) If that won't work for you, try cutting two circles out of a heavy-duty truck tire sidewall with a hole saw, glue together rubber to rubber, drill as needed to bolt up to your flanges.

This was posted in a thread that I have on the Packard Forum. Would this work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reinforced rubber sheet (the reinforcement is called scrim) is made today for industrial belting - conveyors and such.

</div></div>

Thanks for all the replies. I thought about conveyor belts, but I think they are usually too thin. For this application it needs more cords than rubber. The downside to using a tire sidewall is getting it to look nice/original when it is done. I don't think it would be too easy to cut a perfect circle in a truck tire. But then again maybe it's not as difficult as I imagine.

The whole spacing is critical. That's not a problem for me since I have my own CNC mill to do it on, so I guess I should quit my whining and do it. If I do make some I would like to make a bunch extra to sell, but not if I have to trace and cut with a razor knife. That would suck.

David Neuhaus

Rapid CNC

I have heard that the fabric joint replacements for 1928-30 Plymouths are still available from John Deere. Part number L373T (apparently for a 1940 John Deere LA tractor). However I have also heard that it is quite expensive.

check with eqipment rental places , there are rag joints in trenchers , tillers , etc . even on ebay you can find these joints for vintage tractors , implements . ABD IT'S NOT WHINING . it's expressing your innermost needs and wants . WHINING ? NOPE .

The 1925-1927 Studebaker Standard Six model's used this type of drive shaft coupling. It was probley used for other Studebaker model years. I bought a complet set for my 1927 Studebaker off of ebay. I have also seen an add in Hemming's Motor News selling these disk. You may try calling Steven Munts as he may have these disk. His phone # is 509-892-9258. I got some small disk that drives the accessary package on the standard six motor from him. I hope that this will help.

Regards:

SamB

• 3 years later...
How about using one of those "Help" parts, available at most auto parts chains. "Universal Flexible Steering Shaft Coupler" (rag-joint repair kit) If that won't work for you, try cutting two circles out of a heavy-duty truck tire sidewall with a hole saw, glue together rubber to rubber, drill as needed to bolt up to your flanges.

Wouldn't truck mud flaps work better? In cutting rubber freeze it first; then it's like cutting a piece of wood.

I revived this old post because I have found a source for them here Universal Joint Flex Disc. I have what I need now. They are show quality with crisp edges and holes exactly positioned where they belong. In my research on these discs I have discovered just how very prevalent these were in the late 20s. I am pretty sure this exact disc was used on the following vehicles:

1925-27 Oldsmobile

1925-27 Studebaker

1924-27 Chrysler four cylinder model 50 & 52

1924-27 Maxwell four cylinder

1928-30 Plymouth Q U 30-U up to 1561283 U.S built and all Canadian built

1926 Nash

1922 Reo

1940 John Deere LA tractor

Can anyone add to this list or expand the years used?

The discs are 6 inch od and have 6 holes at 4-5/8 inch diameter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Just spent most of today getting off the rear fabric universal on our 1925 Willys Knight tourer - they are a tad fraid and causing a lot of vibration. Did the front ones back in the '80s and fortunately made spares, so hopefully tomorrow I will be able to re-install things with the new pieces that were sitting under the seat. The reason for my input is to say that back then when I got the material to make the fabric rings I was told you must use power transmission belting, never conveyor belting or anything else. The front ones have done about 20,000 miles now and look as good as the day I put them in.

Making them was fairly easy, just took a bit of time. Drew up inner and outer circles on the belting with pencil, marked very carefully the diagonals passing through the stud holes and drew a square box on each one at the correct PCD to match the arms of the tailshaft and the gearbox/rear axle arms. A piece of exhaust tubing of the right diameter for the centre hole was sharpened on one end and a press used to punch out the centre of each ring. A small cutter was then used in the same way for the 6 outer holes using the square boxes as a guide to ensure they were in the right place. Can't remember what I used to cut the outside circle now.

Hopefully my back will still be in one piece tomorrow night once I get the job finished!

• 7 months later...

My friend took some burlap fabric, and cut out multiple circles to match his pattern until he reached the proper thickness. He then cut out the bolt holes and lightly coated each piece with tar. He placed a washer over the holes on every other sheet. Once the right thickness was reached again he placed it on a piece of plywood, put another piece on top and parked his truck on it overnight. It’s been five years and it still is holding together, although I might be changing it out next year.

It took some time but, it looks original.