Dear Abby Letter on Antique Car Being Wrecked

bill pritchett

Did anyone see the letter on Saturday to Dear Abby about a wife who had moved her husband's antique car and had a fender bender with it? She said that he had threatened to divorce her. She was writing Dear Abby about what to do. She said that he had probably cooled off by the time she replied and everything would be fine.

I usually agree with Dear Abby but have some reservations on this one. Sorry I do not have the text of the column but it can be found at http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20060114.

Yes I read this column.I found it to be humorous at first but then sadful.I had an antique part ruined under similar conditions and ranted and raved about it endlessly. Even thou it was 20 years ago,I still feel remorse for my actions to this day.Lets keep our passion for this hobby exactly that but treasure the things that should have real value in our lives.

Over the years I've heard the expression "these guys love their cars and tolorate their wives". Unfortunatley, the Dear Abby letter will reinforce that thought with many women. I also have seen many car guys that should be made to sleep in the garage with their trophy winner. I usually feel sorry for the lady who got stuck with such an insensitive bum.

I hope the rest of the country doesn't think we're all that way. I agreed with Abbey's reply.

There is a very well known restorer/dealer, now retired, whose name many here might recognize, who in the early 70's lived in an apartment above the shop. Shop was filled with Packards, etc most owned by the restorer/dealer. Wife complained that the only vehicle they had to take to town for groceries was the tow truck. Final straw was when the man found and bought a Duesenberg and the wife discovered her good bedspreads, blankets, etc being used to protect the Dues. Her words "Either the Duesenberg goes or I go". His words "I can get another wife, Duesenbergs are hard to find". She did, he did.

My dad and I bought that old Bronco when we were out to Northglenn for the AGNM, and found ourselves in a world of trouble when we got home. Fortunately by the time we got it home, both my wife and my mom managed to cool off. After letting my wife take the Bronco for a drive, she liked the truck well enough to change her tune.

At this point, if we buy any more vehicles, it'll be a convertible. I like the new Mustangs, but then again if Dodge made a new Challenger convertible, I'd have a tough time ignoring that too. Of course if it was an older car that I liked the looks of, we'd get an older convertible instead. At this point, after we get a ragtop, we're done adding to the fleet. We don't have the room, and the wife doesn't have the understanding.