Question for Jay Leno, tomb raider

bubba

Jay, Watched your show on "The Learning Channel" last night. For those of you who didn't see it, there is a show called "Rides" on TLC on Tuesday nights. Last night's show was about his discovery of a 1927 Duesenberg model X just a few blocks from his garage in Burbank. I had read about this in some club newsletter that I receive but had no idea that it was going to be on cable.

The show was GREAT!! As a car collector, nothing can be better than taking a car out from the place it's been entombed in for half a century. This is on par with Howard Carter's discovery of King Tut! I laughed as you showed the artifacts that you discovered around the tomb. It's strange that the old "embalmers" always covered their prized car with treasures like old lawn furniture, bicycles, boxes, golf clubs, and of course the usual tires, just in case they get a flat in the after-life. I followed the Duesy on it's journey out of the driveway in Burbank over to your automobile temple. I enjoyed seeing your steam powered cars up close and running and of course the reawakening of the Duesey. Best line in the show was your comment about Pebble Beach where you " can have a simple millionaire competing against billionaires and winning. That's what America is all about". Here now is my question....What was the OTHER car in the garage hiding under all the junk??? I kept waiting for you to look at it. Is it something this "simple thousandaire" could afford?

Please let me know so that I can sleep tonight. thanks, bubba

That show made me grin all night! Nothing like a barn find close to home. I too wanted to know what was the other car in there???? Jay is really the "car guy's, car guy" and seems like another avg Joe, I can respect that. I would love to spend some time to see more of his cars. I know Mike and Jim who restored a Buggatti or 2 of Jays here in Berthoud, Co and that is as close as I have been to Jays collection.

Jay, if your reading this, how about I trade rides? A ride in your Duesey for one in my Amphicar? OK, Not a fair trade, but that's the best I can do. I got to ride in a '14 Bearcat and I still smile about that one.

Thanks for that link! Right after WWII two local brothers bought a gas stanton, repair garage,the cars in the basement storage area went with the deal. Two Model J Dusenbergs had spent the war years down there, and they were more than happy to take the $750.00 offer and get them out of there. shocked.gif

Here in Southern CA I get to see Jay at least two car meets a year. He always shows up in the car of the meet (Doble, Stuz, etc.) and wears a demin shirt and jeans. Though everyone wants to get a picture and say hi he does tour the swapmeet as the rest of us do (with a little thicker wallet). He is an amazingly nice person. I would not be surprised if he or one of his friends did not come on here to answer our question about the other car. My guess is that it was a late 1920's coupe, judging by the glimpse that I saw.

And for those producers out there. Take notice how well recieved this show was. With or with out the Jay connection it had a lot of great information and plenty of shots of the cars. Most show spend 80% of their time telling you what is comming up and reviewing what you just saw before the last commercial marathon! This show just kept telling the story. I did not want it to end. I was disaponted that the car got back on the road so fast. Dosen't work that way for mine! grin.gif They could have spent more time on the rebuild and research of the car. And by the way anyone know what they used to get the paint looking so nice? Talk about diamond in the rough.

I'm glad to hear that Jay gets to roam throught a flea market without being mobed by fans. I've always thought there was room for a TV show that featured car and motorcycle "restorations" that had started at least 20 years ago. Not a new idea, but washing Dad's '31 roadster on July 4th I noticed the 1983 license sticker. There must be some great stories to be told about a project that has been around so long. It would be a nice change from all the silly deadline projects on TV now.grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for that link! Right after WWII two local brothers bought a gas stanton, repair garage,the cars in the basement storage area went with the deal. Two Model J Dusenbergs had spent the war years down there, and they were more than happy to take the $750.00 offer and get them out of there. shocked.gif </div></div>

I really enjoyed the jay Leno site. Great series of article. I even decide to subscribe to Popular Mechanics for a year for my son who an builder/inventor at heart.$12.00

Joe

There was also quite a nice article in Old Cars Weekly about Jay's Duesy find. There was also a fairly extensive article in the same issue regarding another Duesy find that I believe was on the East Coast. Those old cars are still out there. More tombs than anyone can ever imagine. Just need to keep looking. The cars don't really go away, they just get buried in the corner of the garage, barn, or storage building until some event or casual comment results in them surfacing again. There are many low key collectors in the hobby that quietly and without any fanfare entomb these cars for future generations. And the treasure hunt continues....................................

Bob

If it has not been done already, maybe one of the officers of AACA should extend a personal/official invitiation to Jay Leno to come to Fall Hershey. You never know he might even bring one of his vehicles. Maybe he would even consider hosting a "Rides" episode featuring cars at Fall Hershey. Can't hurt to ask him, after all he is a car guy. He would also be one heck of an emcee or speaker at the banquet. That would be one record breaking banquet and a GREAT way to celebrate Hershey's 50th.

I agree. But his schedule and our wishes, it probably would never happen. Knowing how Jay's car collection isn't open for public viewing, I've thought that if we could do a dedicated Leno exhibit at the museum (several of his cars), that could generate a lot of publicity and interest in the museum to get paying customers in. If this were promoted in the right method, it could be a very good thing.

Could you imagine if the cars could be in the Cammack room during the summer when tourist season at Hershey park is high and be on display through Hershey weeks?

.....but it would take Jay's blessing before any of it could ever happen.

I have discussed some of these ideas with a key leader in AACA, perhaps it is already being looked at, maybe it is in the works, and maybe it has been found not to be feasible.

No I wouldn't say so. With the museum in its' infancy, there aren't a lot of people who probably know the museum is even there except the AACA membership, and the people who live near the museum. With a very high profile display and the publicity to promote it, it would create the awareness to promote the musuem. It doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to be able to figure out that it requires a lot of money just to pay the bills and maintain the place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a desperate effort to get people in the door of that place! Great collections were build by passionate owners, not a paid committee overseeing tax writeoffs. IMO grin.gif </div></div>

If nobody knows about it, nobody will come. It's not about desperation, it's about education. No matter how "great" a collection is, it may as well not exist if nobody sees it. Very simple concept. Sounds like a fine plan on increasing awareness of a worthwhile cause.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to be able to figure out that it requires a lot of money just to pay the bills and maintain the place. </div></div>

True, and it is not part of the AAAC, it is its own "Club". IMO