Driving Miss Daisy Hudson?

Guest Teamsterdug

Guest Teamsterdug

Anyone know the whereabouts of the Hudson automobile used in the "Driving Miss Daisy" (Jessica Tandy/Morgan Freeman) movie? The one that "Hoke" is first hired to drive Miss Daisy around in. I always liked that car and would love to see it in person. Seems like I read several years ago that it was in a museum in Kansas or Oklahoma or somewhere!? I don't even know what model or year car it was for sure. Perhaps '49, '50 or '51. Anybody know? I do know that in the movie it was purchased to replace the '47 Chrysler Royal that Miss Daisy drove off the ledge of her driveway.

Guest BruceW

Everything I read says it was a 1948 Hudson Commodore.

According to the Pryor, Oklohoma tourism web site http://www.pryorok.com/tourism/attractions.htm the 1948 Hudson featured in the movie Driving Miss Daisy is in Mac's Antique Car Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Also, just about every Oklahoma tourism web site that lists Mac's Antique Auto Musuem states the Hudson is there.

Mac's Antique Car Museum

PO Box 3185,

1319 E 4th Street

Tulsa, Olkahoma 74101

I heard a rumor that originally the movie makers wanted to have a 1948 Packard Custom series as Ms. Daisy's car, but they couldn't find two with the same interior so they "settled" for the Hudson. I don't know if this is true, or just a vicious rumor started by Packard die hards!

If any of you have seen the stage play version, Miss Daisy had Oldsmobiles instead of Cadillacs. Found this out when the Little Theater group in South Boston contacted me wanting Oldsmobiles to display in the theater lobby during the run. We obliged them with a 1954 Ninety-Eight sedan, a 1967 Luxury Sedan, and a 1976 Regency, covering the three decades of the play. They used a picture of Miss Daisy and Hoke in the 54 for newspaper publicity. My high school English teacher played Miss Daisy, and a high school friend played Hoke.

Play and movie are among my favorites, along with "Fried Green Tomatoes" (which, fixed right, are a delicacy unto themselves).

I remember that they movie company had a giveaway contest and that the winner would win the Hudson from the movie. There were a stream of advertisements for this contest promoting the movie for a few weeks after its release. I never heard who won or if it was awarded.....obviously I didn't win either.... frown.gif

• 4 weeks later...

At the time of the movie, the Hudson was owned by Herbert Bell of Georgia, a member of the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club. Mr. Bell has since reduced the size of his Hudson collection, so it is quite possible that the car is now in the Tulsa museum.

• 5 years later...

Dan Ackyroyd spends his summers 15 minutes from here near his dad's place. His dad is an antique car guy and I am sure both of them know all the details. I know the garage where he gets his car work done in Kingston so will ask the owner/ mechanic there if he has any more info.

In response to quote 11,my shop is called the Twin H -Garage. We specialize in Hudsons and stock some common parts. But also build Rat Rods and other custom work and upgrades to old cars such as A/C kits,power steering,12 volt conversions etc.. I have some projects on my facebook photos under r2hud308@aol

In response to quote 12 . Mr.Bell owns the one I currently am working on.A friend of mine claims he saw on the show Pickers that Ryan Newman may have one also.I will ask Mr. Bell if he Knows anything about that although Mr Bell is 93 and his memory isnt what it used to be.

Thanks for posting the name of your shop. It will make it so much easier to find you if someone would like to take a look at your shop and what you do there.

And you are talking about Ryan Newman the NASCAR driver, right? In a story I found, written in 2004, he had a 1939 Hudson 2-door sedan.

Edited by Shop Rat
More info. (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest Cauldron Graphix

Seems like I remember when the movie came out (Maybe it was when it came out on Cable) They offered one of those Hudsons or maybe another similar one as a give away. Seems like I remember seeing ads for it on TV Before or after the move played. :confused:

I was impressed by the movie and especially by the choice of cars. A Chrysler would have been the kind of car Miss Daisy would drive. When it was wrecked and needed to be replaced on short notice a Hudson would be a natural choice for a long forgotten reason. From 1945 to 1949 new cars were in short supply and to get one, required a long wait on the dealer's list or a payoff of some kind. But Hudson had plenty of cars for immediate delivery by 1948. So it would be the one make of car you could buy off the lot in 1948.

Cadillac of course was the leading make of luxury car in the fifties and sixties. It is quite correct that Miss Daisy never owned a Ford, Mercury or Lincoln, in those days many Jews held a grudge against Henry Ford for his anti Semitic opinions.

Rather unfairly as he repudiated those views in 1927, issued a public apology, shut down the Dearborn Independent and burned a large and costly library of anti Semitic books.

• 2 years later...
Guest Nostromov
Everything I read says it was a 1948 Hudson Commodore.

Hehe, except what I read was this:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_18686-Hudson-Commodore-1949.html

:)