Headliner Replacement

BillyJ

Do a search on the discussion page. $400 is way too much.

I pulled the headliner on one car and they did it for $60. I recently redid one myself and the cost was 2yards of material from Hancock fabrics at $12.50 yard, plus some 3M adhesive which I already had.

if the visors are fine, don't get them recovered. they will come out looking like small stuffed pillows. the visors were bonded and riveted together when they were made, and the shop will not disassemble them, but just cover what is already there. the headliner material comes in over 100 colors, and an exact match is quite easy.

as Barney pointed out, this is a very easy job you can do yourself for less than $30. if your car has a sunroof, it is a little more difficult, but you can also clean out the sunroof drain tubes at the same time.

the most expensive quote for a headliner I have ever heard was $300, and that was in the Boston area.

at $400, they really saw you coming. I buy my headliner material from an auto upholstery supply store, and it is $8.95 per yard. if you bought 2 yards, you will have quite a bit left over. the 3M spray adhesive (the only kind to use) is about $11 for a can.

Mike

I just did mine last weekend. Hancock Fabric did not have the right color. Joann fabric had a close match. I got impatient and bought it anyway. 2 yards will cover it. Buy the heavy duty adhesive. Do a search on headliner repair. Someone has an excellent procedure written up. I used a wire brush with a light touch to remove most of the old adhesive. A nylon brush removed the rest. It only cost me $30.00 and 2 hours time. $400.00 is obscene.

I just did one of these for an 89 Riviera. Found a close color match (burgandy) of foam backed headliner material at Jo-anne Fabrics for $10.99 per yard. Needed two yards and my wife had a coupon for 50% off of any one item so, I paid for only one of the two yards. I already had a 16.5 oz. can of 3M adhesive. Still have some left in the can after the job. So for under $25.00 and several hours in the garage I'm now able to sit upright like a man while driving instead of scrunched up like some ape.

Here's a link to a site that offers "how to" as well as photos of the work in progress. http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_interior/article/0,2021,DIY_13689_3024340,00.html

If you still don't want to tackle this project, bring it over to me along with the $400.00 and I'll do it.

P.S.

I just happened to have the passenger seat out prior to starting this project and I found that the added clearance helps with getting the headliner in and out. You have to be careful with the backerboard because it may have become brittle and is easily cracked when bent.

IF YOU MEAN THE FOAM THAT'S THE BACKING FROM THE OLD FABRIC YOU MUST SCRAPE THAT OFF FROM THE STIFF HEAD LINER CAREFULLY MAYBE WITH A STIFF BRUSH IT SHOULD COME OFF EASILY BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE HEADBOARD IT WAS GLUED TO. THEY ARE STIFF AND BRITTLE YOU MAY HAVE TO REPAIR THAT WITH DUCK TAPE IN AREAS YOU WILL SEE WHEN IT IS TAKEN DOWN IT'S ATTACHED BY VELCRO STRIPS TO THE ROOF.NOW WITH THE NEW FABRIC IT WILL HAVE THE FOAM BACKING ALREADY ATTACHED TO THE FABRIC THEN YOU CAN REGLUE THAT TO THE HARD HEADBOARD ... LOOK ON THE INTERNET SEARCH WORD "HEADLINER" YOU WILL SEE INSTRUCTIONS AND PICTURES OF WHAT IM TAKING ABOUT. GOOD LUCK !!!

• 6 years later...
Guest crankshaft

I have an 89 Reatta with a sunroof.

I took out the headliner Saturday and it only took a few minutes. The problem I'm having is that the old headliner looks like its two layers. Not sure how to make it look good when I put back in.

Anyone have experience with this one??

Thanks

I think what you mean by two layers, is that there is a cloth layer and a foam layer. Peel off the cloth and then remove the remaining foam with a wire brush. I took mine to an upholstery shop at this point and had them cut and glue a new matching fabric to the fiberglass liner. I then reinstalled it.

Total cost to do it this way... $50.00, but was well worth it.

When I was in college, I replaced a headliner in a '59 VW that had a sunroof. It turned out OK, but it was time consuming and I could have used at least one more hand.

I paid $120 to have the headliner replaced in our '89 a few years ago. That included recovering the sunvisors. I'm not sure what he did different, but they do not look like pillows.

I was shocked when I saw the contours of the new headliner. I had never been in another Reatta, and I guess the headliner was loose when I bought the car.

Guest steveskyhawk

Removal and replacement of the headliner board will save you a considerable amount of money however it is best to leave the recovering of the board to the pros. The glue that comes in a rattle can is NOT the same as the glue that the upholstery shop uses. This is one job better left to the pros if you want it to look good and last.

Guest crankshaft

Thanks to everyone who replied. When I took the headliner out It made a big mess in the car. The foam had turned to dust.After cleaning all that up and cleaning the form up I layed out the material that came off the headliner to possible use as a template. The headliner form on this one is only two to three inches wide at any given point . It leaves a large opening in the middle for the sunroof. Much larger then the sunroof itself. Looks like they used the first layer of headliner material to neatly stick to the form. Then to extend over to the edges of the sunroof they added a second layer. I'm at work now but just found out my shippment from stock interiors just came in so I guess I'll find out tonight if I can make it work. I'll try to remember to take pictures to show what I'm talking about. Thanks for your interest and advice.

Guest crankshaft

OMG what a nightmare the headliner turned out to be . I Got it back together but it looks like crap. I see now what I should of done was start with a new headliner board and go from there. The headliner is wrinkled and looks misaligned but a least its not falling down around my ears like the old one was. I'm gone to try to upload some pictures of my ordeal with my red 89 Reatta. If anyone know where I can get a new headliner board that would great .

Much Thanks

post-74267-143138519551_thumb.jpg

post-74267-143138519571_thumb.jpg

post-74267-143138519589_thumb.jpg

post-74267-143138519607_thumb.jpg

post-74267-143138519625_thumb.jpg

post-74267-143138519645_thumb.jpg

post-74267-143138519662_thumb.jpg

post-74267-14313851968_thumb.jpg

Guest crankshaft

I may have to tint it .I haven't drove it on the highway . I just got it a couple of months ago and don't even have a tag or insurance on it. I need to service to AC and See if I can get someone to touch up pinstripe and paint job . I'd like to put it in a local classic car but I don't know if I can get it ready oin a month.

However, that's the largest sunroof I've seen in a Reatta. Mine are smaller. Both made by Webasto. One's a power sunroof (in the '89) and the other one is operated by a hand crank (in the '90 Maui parts car). The hand crank isn't very practical..

Anyways, back on subject.

New headliner boards are not available. These are unique to the Reatta.

If you bought a used one, it wouldn't have the hole for the sun roof, and you'd have to cut that out. Your best bet is probably to take the board out again and take the whole shebang to a professional auto upholster (as mentioned above).

There's quite a few around our area here, and I can give you some names and numbers if you're interested.

I have one guy that I use exclusively. But he may be a bit far from you. He's up in Timberlake (about 12 miles south of Roxboro). He's done great work for me, and he's very reasonable. I need the headliner done in my '89 and I will probably be taking that up there to him sometime this summer.

His credits include all the upholstery work on a Mercedes 300SL. This tells you the kind of quality work he does. And the best part, he costs at least 30% less than most places I've quoted to get work done before.

Send me a PM, and I'lll get you his name and number if you're interested.

Guest Double M

This guy needs a job done right and gets an estimate of $400. Then the forum laments that is to high (perhaps) and how it can be done for $35 bucks and some spray glue.

Have any of these people ever REALLY done this?

Or is this arm-chair restoration?

I have removed headliners on cars less complicated, rare and without Sunroofs and it is a MAJOR pain in the butt.

ANYONE That has really done this, KNOWS this. Anyone calling themselves an expert and suggests that a headliner can be fixed with some yards of material and some spray glue (especially on Reatta with a sunroof) is neither an expert or in any postion to offer advice.

Headliners :1 Experts: 0

Like one of the previous post say, this is a job left for the pros.

Guest steveskyhawk

I agree with Angelo. I have removed and replaced headliners in Reattas with and without sunroofs. It is time consuming which is why it is expensive to have it done. Being able to match the color isn't easy. You wont find the proper material where your wife or grandmother get their crochet supplies as some have suggested earlier. Another problem with amateur restorations is that rattle can adhesives and vinyl dyes are NOT the same as is commonly used at professional shops.

Some money can be saved if you remove, clean, repair and replace the headliner board AND take control of the color match by finding an auto upholstery supply house and buying the material yourself. Applying the material to the board should be left to the pros.

Time is money.

I've done two without a sunroof. First one I used headliner fabric from Joann fabrics. It was not a correct match, and I was OK with that. I used 3m Headliner adhesive. It turned out good enough for a daily driver with high miles. For the second one, I purchased the fabric through an auto interior shop. I ordered enough to do the visors. I took a little more time on this one and repaired the cracks and reinforced the front corners with fiberglass/epoxy. I carefully cut out the holes for the visors using a template I made from the board before I started. I used 3m Headliner adhesive for this also. I sent the visors out with the extra fabric and had them recovered. It turned out nice and I wouldn't hesitate to do another one. I can't speak to the differences between sunroof/non sunroof, but i would say if you have patience. attentin to detail, and a knack for fixing things this is not a job you should shy away from. Shop around. 500.00 seems high to me considering the fabric will be less that 50.00 even from an upholstery shop.