CRAP-TACTULAR '48 IN THE BUGLE

I'm still sadden by the modified '48..... what a loss.

It's already a 70's and 80's used car lot, now the BMD division will convert yet another parking field into a "LEADS EAST" '50'S WEEKEND SHOW.

well, there are always museums to see real Buicks mad.gif.

Guest my3buicks

Everyone in the hobby has different but similar interests - while "modified" Buicks may not be your thing, and obviously anything in the 60's 70's either, your vintage may also hold no interest for owners of other era and category. It is also EXTREMELY rude to point out a particular Buick and bash it for all to see for your own self gratification and fun. The Buick Club is an umbrella for ALL Buick owners/interested parties. If you don't like a particular division, year, model, group, whatever -keep it to yourself if you wish to express yourself in the above manner, your opinion is welcome in a more constructive way and not singling out a particular members car- negativity like that has no place here!!

Whoa, <span style="font-style: italic">crap-tacular</span> is a pretty harsh word, don't you think (and do you read FARK.com often?)? That's way out of line, <span style="font-style: italic">especially</span> in this case. I personally think any car that someone has lavished time and money on is a good thing. This car was tastefully done, well built and still screams BUICK. Some rods may be considered a "loss" to the hobby, but this sure isn't one of them

According to my records, they made 11,176 of these cars in 1948, so it isn't exactly rare. What's the loss? A perfectly restored #1 condition example of this car would probably sell for significantly less than $15,000 today. It isn't particularly valuable, either, not as an original. I'm guessing this particular car is worth quite a bit more.

And dig the amount of work that went into it--the way the front bumper ends merge with the front fenders, the way the fenders are swept into the doors or the portholes used in an innovative way, even if they did take liberties with the number of them.

I know we've had a lot of discussion about purists vs. rodding here and that you were probably pretty certain how the rest of us would have reacted to this car. But I think you're way, way, WAY out of line here, Tommy, with the way you expressed your thoughts. Opinion is one thing, and I definitely think you're entitled to yours. I just think you could have expressed it in a more constructive way.

And the next time someone wonders why there are few under 50 people people at BCA meets, direct them to Tommy's post.

High school seniors this year were born in 1986-87, when the last GN was a NEW car. Their twenty something older sibs would be around 10--just old enough to think mom/dad's new GN was the coolest thing it town. What do you think they'll be looking for if they want to have a car just like Mom and Dad's?

As others have said, everyone is welcome to their own opinion about the best of the "real" Buicks. It's just too bad that some folks have to go out of their way to insult others.

The sad part is newbies might believe that "everyone" feels the same as Tommy and make their first BCA experience their LAST BCA experience.

No, I don't own a 70's or 80's Buick. Never have been able to afford a Turbo 3.8 but really liked the ones I've driven.

But, my 60's used car BUICK and I will think of Tommy's comment tomorrow night on an evening ride with the top down. That's the nice thing about USED CARS--THEY GET USED!!!!!

1965 Buicks turn 40 this year. That's just about the same age the first straight 8 Buicks-1931- were at the first BCA Nationals in the early 70's.

Good Morning All: The BCA Board has taken the view that the BCA is a tent in which room can be made for all. We do not serve one group or view and those who want all others to live in their small world only are welcome to simple not walk around or view those cars which do not please them. Most of the modifieds are built from cars which would not be restored, although their are a few exceptions to that statement. They primarily become modifieds because the owner of the parts or car has been unable to find someone to buy them for an original restoration. Fewer and fewer cars from the 30's, 40's and early 50's are being restored and the demand for them and their parts is softening. The BCA cannot cater to a small group who must have it their way or be unhappy. We will lose a few members who take this attitude but the entire BCA is much better served by welcoming everyone and not being snooty about others and their Buick interests. As long as a persons interests and needs are being served by the BCA why be angy or dispareging toward others who interests and needs are also being served? Tommy, the things the BCA has done which have served you and your needs are not changing. The primary years of interest may be changing but the BCA cannot do anything about that. When I joined the BCA in 1974 most of the cars at meets were from the 30's, 40's and a few 50's. That has all changed with the aging of the membership and the passage of time. None of us can change these trends but must be able to adapt to them for the BCA to survive. It is always easy to critize when you are not a member of the Board charged with the survival of the BCA and service to the membership. Give these comments some thought. The BCA must serve more than one small group or year of Buicks. Have a great day. Patrick W. Brooks, President, BCA

I would like to challenge those who have concerns about the growing number of cars manufactured during the 1970's and 1980's participating in our BCA events. The ONLY way to maintain a strong representation of the earlier cars is for those of you who own them to bring them out and actively participate. The earlier cars still exist in the BCA, and newer generations will never learn to appreciate and collect these cars unless they are shown and driven. It is your responsibility to maintain the presence of the early cars at our events, and you can accomplish a great deal by persuading others with the older cars to participate as well.

Guest Bob Newquist

Its such a shame to see discussions like this. When I first became involved with BCA back in 1966 the predominate cars were from the 30's and 40's. Yes there were older ones, the horseless carriages, but they were not as plentiful. I would like to think we favor the cars we remember as kids! The point regarding folks under 50 is well taken, they should not be discouraged or put down.I remember Greg Field bringing his 38 Hollywood Top Limited?? down to my place in San Diego for a show we had, I thought it was neat! People have been modifying cars for quite some time and there is a place for that, quite frankly I like the car that stirred this discussion. I still like the old straight eights but the reality of it also makes me favor cars of the 1990's hence my like for the Roadmasters of that era! Lets lighten up and be a bit less harsh when we see this cars showing up at the meets. Bob Newquist BCA#6

Hi Patrick and Bob, mister #6...

I've been in this man's army for 18 years, so I have some experience with the club. I was a member of the Gateway chapter and remember that old junk yard in Versailles Mo. (The old guy made we wait in truck when I was 16. Thought I was going to steal something).

AACA is also dealing with the MD class. I go to Hershey to see old original cars, I don't go to Carlisle for the ford and chevy parts.

I see the pictures from Planio, 4 old cars. Bill from New Mexico is in our '27 group.

Like the car below, if you built it they will come.

md-buick.jpg

The "big tent" and the lecture on tolerance is all well and good, but at what percent Buick will the line be drawn? 5% 25% 45% 85%? I've read the rules, but just like the driving award that the guy missed because he did not have a spare tire, it all gets pretty murky.

I'm not a board member, (is Paul Meyers Mini in the MD class?) so i can express my opinion with out 10 guys yelling at me in the board room.

My opinion is that the resto-rods water down the show field, and the 70's & 80's will some day be the lot with the 4 cars on it.

Note: the hot button rhetoric always get's the blood flowing on a tread. (We had a 69 Ford LTD in the '70's.. could not afford a Buick!)

I have to throw my 2 cents in ...

I have looked at the pictures of all the cars that I took for the Bugle and counted the decades that were represented.

1909 and newer 2 cars

1910 - 1919 2 cars

1920 - 1929 3 cars (including 2 1927 cars)

1930 - 1939 8 cars

1940 - 1948 15 cars

1950 - 1959 35 cars

1960 - 1969 37 cars

1970 - 1979 21 cars

1980 - 1981 13 cars

1990 - 1999 15 cars

Understand, that these numbers are just the cars that had their pictures taken. About 50 or so cars chose not to get their pictures taken.

So there were more cars then the Bugle shows. They showed the Award winners, you actually had to be in Texas to see all the cars.

Also, the owner of the 1948 also brought 2 other cars with him that were dead stock and great looking. He does nice work no martter what the car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rather than some wheezing, rough "original" '27! {translation; neglected, unrestored, etc,}. </div></div>

Wheezy was on the show the Jeffersons. You've never driven a Buick-Six rocket!

Rough yet driving 250 miles to mystic sea port CT this weekend for the pre-30 car show.... no MD

Original, no the 27-20 was only blue, someone started MD'ing this one before I saved it.

Neglected, Warm and dry for $130 a month.

Unrestored, spin on oil filter, maybe it is a MD?

Here is another photo from a different angle.

BCA BUGLE OCTOBER 1, 2014

27Buick+V-8.jpg

First Senior BCA National meet 2014

This show last weekend in Great Neck NY required ropes and an attach Poodle to hold back the crow of fans.

pic012.jpg

He goes for the Throat!

pic006.jpg

OK, I don't think name-calling is appropriate here, guys. Different tastes, different opinions, and they're all valid. How some of us express them can be questionable (I know I've occassionally sampled the flavor of my own shoes), but craptacular to wheezing, beautiful to weird, they're all cars that somebody had fun building, loves to drive and spent considerable time building/restoring/earning the money to pay for it. We're ALL car guys, regardless of how we choose to express ourselves in sheetmetal.

Yes, I would definitely like to see more 20s-40s cars at <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> show I attend, and I'm bored with mass-produced 4-door sedans from the 60s and 70s (and 80s--<span style="font-style: italic">holy dirt, am I getting old!</span>). That's why I bought the car I wanted and why I plan to drive it everywhere I go, after winning my BCA Senior, that is! I'm 34, so I figure I have at least 30 years of showing it off left. I doubt I'll ever own a collector car newer than about 1950 because they don't appeal to me. But I don't begrudge those who find the 60s-70s-80s vehicles attractive nor those who tailor their vehicles to their own tastes because they're having fun with their cars. Isn't that what it's all about?

Unless you have a Duesenberg or some other rare and amazing car (rodding the MIMI, for instance, would be inappropriate), use your car any way you want, do anything you want to it or with it. You don't owe other enthusiasts anything, nor do you have to answer to the future as a caretaker of history. No car is "lost" if an owner loves it and has fun with it, even if it isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Enjoy your cars, dammit, and let everyone else do the same. It's a hobby after all.

I guess I will put in my two cents. I am fairly new to using this site, but I do not recall any recent original messages that have generated so much response in such a short period of time. So, in that regard, the message might be a good thing. I think there seems many responses by owners with full proper restorations that favor the modified cars, and that too, to me, seems a good thing. There is, indeed, room for everyone and I am hoping that we see a number of "proper" modified Buicks in Batavia, along with restorations and originals. Also some good "drivers".

I learned a very valuable lesson around 1990 from a close friend.

We were at a large car show with our exceptionally nice cars (in our opinion). Across the row from us was a mostly stock 1972 (or so) Ford Pinto. I say mostly stock, because it had a beautiful MAACO $200 paint job, complete with runs, orange peel, overspray, etc. Not only did it have these fine features, but it was also equipped with some $10 seat covers and a very nice rainbow colored racing stripe that ran from headlight to taillight on each side, obviously applied by someone with little experience in applying vinyl to paint.

As ten of us stood there snickering, pointing, and just being assholes, (which I'm certain that the owner noticed) my freind Danny walked right toward the car owner. We all held our breath waiting for what kind of smart ass remark Danny would come up with... "Hey is that a Pinto?" we all snickered.

Danny spoke with the guy who was genuinely proud of his car, which he had purchased new. It's the only car that he'd ever owned, and had a lot of meaning to him. Danny (who was the king of customs around here for a long time) spent 30 minutes with the guy going over the details that the guy was proud of. After paying the $20 entry fee and sitting there all day, Danny was the first to compliment him, and it made his whole day. He grinned from ear to ear for hours.

A few weeks later Danny searched the guy out to give him a set of hubcaps for the car. At the show the guy had told Danny that he only wished he could afford a set of hubcaps to cover his rusty steel wheels.

Since that time I've chosen to NEVER bag on someone else's ride. I guarantee that I've had cars that I loved that would get little to no appreciation by most, but they were the world to me. Since then I can find something to respect about every car I see, and I treat each that way.

Fortunately, I'm pretty thick skinned so when the former President of our MAFCA chapter refers to my car as "bastardized" I laugh. I don't think he knows I've heard him say that on multiple occasions.

Remembering that we all have different tastes it all boils down to mutual respect. Keep it alive, and our hobby will thrive. Let it get out of hand and we'll drive people away.

Just my .02

Hey guys, you gotta admit the topic makes an interesting thread.

I guess what it comes down to for me is that the car collecting hobby is really more about collecting friends than cars. I have made many friends who have cars I could care less about. But we share a bond in wanting to drive and own old cars. And we enjoy events where we can meet and chew the fat.

Personally, I have no interest what so ever in modified cars, though I can certainly see that some are done much more creatively than others. But I have the same feeling about over-restored over-polished and over-chromed 100 point restorations too. I don't like stuffed animal (Did you see that LIVE POODLE in Tommy's posting!!!) displays around cars either, or an army of trophys. I prefer to let the cars speak quietly for themselves.

Through it all, I've met plenty of great friends from all the car clubs I enjoy. And guess what, a lot of them don't agree with my standards for displaying, restoring, driving or modifying old cars! But I like them anyway....

Now if the modifieds ended up displacing all the old original cars in this club, then I might be concerned, because my interests are pretty much exclusively for original cars.

Bill S

Albuquerque

hey,

we're supposed to be a buick lover orginization, right? that doesn't mean we love every buick. there are things i like about that buick and things i would never do to mine. if one guy thinks it's "crap-tactular", fine with me. i hate how some people modernize cars from the 30's - 60's. to me they have ruined them. i should feel free to say so. i'm not saying they should not do it, just not my taste. build it the way you want it, accept the praise, accept the criticism, and most importantly, just keep working until YOU are happy. my preferance is cars from the early 30's to the very early 60's. if someone shows a buick from '84 i don't have to appreciate it just because it is 20 years old. i should be able to tell them "i don't care about, or like your car". they can tell me "so what, i love it and i've worked really hard to make it what it is". my response would be "good for you". don't dismiss harsh criticism, relish it. if you're not pissing someone off, you're not doing anything interesting.

Mind you, I like stock, but I saw the car in Dallas, and it was spectacular. It has very high level of creativity and craftsmanship, and I was happy for a chance to see it. All the details in it are amazing. I went out of my way to compliment the owner - a nice, humble kind of guy you would love for a neighbor.

If he is reading this, let me say once again, "What a nice job!"

If anybody criticizes, let him buy the car and put it back to stock if he feels to strongly. Did anyone who baged on it ever bother to bring their Buick to Dallas?

Happy wrenching,

Doug Cook

I saw the Buick in Plano, and thought it was very well done. Just because it is not originel does not mean that you can't appreciate the workmanship. If we discourage people from joining our BCA because of the type of car they have, we will be losing our base. Years ago in the BCA everyone drove their cars to the meets, and knew everything about them, because they built them. We now have many people that have invested Thousands of dollars in their creations, and they are NO DIFFERENT!! The Buicks they have created have body fits and paint jobs that could have NEVER come from Buick Motor Division, and we welcome them with open arms. Why the discrepancy?? I enjoy all facets of the old car hobby, and have a 37 Buick street rod,with 455 Buick power, a GS that I drag race , and a 40 Super convertible that has been to The Meadowbrook "Concurs De Elegance" I love them all, so cut the guy some slack!!!

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I love them all, so cut the guy some slack!!! </div></div>

"I second that emotion"

After reading through all the posts, I notice that only the original post and one other supported the idea of speaking negatively about someone else's car. That speaks very highly about the rest of the BCA members. It shows that most of us understand basic human nature and abide by common courtesy. Thankfully we are the rule and not the exception.

so now we aren't supposed to criticize cars? we can only speak positively of them? i spent a lot of time in college to get a B.F.A. in studio art. criticism is what makes you think. it's what inspires you to say... "what can i do next? what did i do right? what needs improving?". believe me, negative criticism gets the creative juices flowing much more than saying..." hey, great car". i want everyone to feel free to build their cars the way they want, but don't cry if someone hates it! there is room for all of our tastes. at least that's what i thought. don't tell people it's not appropriate to voice their opinions. sure, they could be more "delicate" about it, but not everyone is P.C. when i get a digital camera, i'll post some pics of my car and i'll welcome all feedback, even if you tell me it's the biggest pile of s**t you've ever seen.

just don't tell people they shouldn't express their opinion.

Creative criticism if fine when expressed directly to the individual who has performed the work. But go back and read the first post of this thread. There was nothing creative in it. No suggestions on improvements. It was merely trash talking. And by the way, my post never said anything about not voicing ones opinion, it just commented on peoples social graces or lack there of.

If the guy who "rodded" out the car saved it from a crusher, silently rusting out in a field or from somewhere else we would not have ever seen it again, I say you get one more opportunity to witness a grand car who was saved for future generations. If you can kid yourself into believing that these cars will be around forever, or that the only living example in captivity should be a stock example of the breed, well that is a narrow minded view. This guy did outstanding work, spent some serious cash, and created something that was obviously attractive to a majority of the crowd that was there. Somewhere a little boy or girl (or some of us that arent so young anymore) will go home and have a fond memory of that car or another Buick. If that memory continues to keep the old cars alive and preserved in whatever state, you and I are luckier for it being there. ANYTHING we can do to raise interest in the hobby, and save some of the older cars (yes I think the 60's and 70's stuff is old as well) is a positive step.

Thank you for the PINTO story it was very touching. Some of us cant drag out concourse cars, and we know we never will, but we still like to be able to look at what other people have had the imagination, money and committment to complete and display. I think there are people who enjoy their car and never display it at shows because of the "blue blooded" "holier than thou" attitude of the guy who can drag a million dollar restoration out on the grass. I am glad to see that the folks who have the attitude of "I like them all, so cut the guy some slack", far outnumber the "narrow minded" your Buick has to be like mine crowd.........

Hello All

I like to think of cars like this as post production concept cars. Anyone who has seen this car is amazed at the workmanship, which is even better than the Blackhawk. Ah, the Blackhawk, great car that I would buy if produced is wearing some vintage parts that some restorer might need. All restored cars INCLUDING MINE are modified to some extent.

Think post production concept car.

Willie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If the guy who "rodded" out the car saved it from a crusher, silently rusting out in a field or from somewhere else we would not have ever seen it again, I say you get one more opportunity to witness a grand car who was saved for future generations. If you can kid yourself into believing that these cars will be around forever, or that the only living example in captivity should be a stock example of the breed, well that is a narrow minded view. This guy did outstanding work, spent some serious cash, and created something that was obviously attractive to a majority of the crowd that was there. Somewhere a little boy or girl (or some of us that arent so young anymore) will go home and have a fond memory of that car or another Buick. If that memory continues to keep the old cars alive and preserved in whatever state, you and I are luckier for it being there. ANYTHING we can do to raise interest in the hobby, and save some of the older cars (yes I think the 60's and 70's stuff is old as well) is a positive step.

</div></div>

I have some very strong opinions on modified cars, but have kept out of this thread because (due to my own stupidity) my membership lapsed with this issue and I never got to see the car in question. However I do need to take exception to some of the statements made here.

<span style="font-weight: bold">By no means</span> are all street rods today built out of rusting hulks that'd otherwise be crushed. Not even close. Over the last decade or so there has been a small cottage industry born whereby fully restored antiques (especially antiques such as Buick that are worth more in pieces than as a whole) are purchased, dismantled for parts, and street rodded. It is very possible to do this to a $10K or $20K car and make a profit, more so if that car is worth more money as a street rod in the first place.

Especially as people in the street rod hobby look to go beyond the trite Ford/Chevy deuce coupe scene (for which the aftermarket provides more material than historic sources these days), it is ridiculous to assume that every street rod one sees is a preserved piece of history. In many cases it just <span style="font-style: italic">used to</span> be preserved.

Therefore I take serious exception to Rojo22's statement <span style="font-style: italic">"ANYTHING we can do to raise interest in the hobby...is a positive step. "</span> Raising interest by undercutting the foundation of the hobby isn't progress by me.

For further evidence of what is being done to some of the rarest cars we have to "share", see the thread Lost Souls in the Rant & Rave section of the forum.

I've got no problem with street rods that are built in the traditional manner out of material the restorers discard or don't want. Many rodded Buicks are still done this way, including perhaps the car in questiuon here. But a growing few are the result of subsequent owners pitching Preservation Award tags and Gold Awards in the trash, and that isn't right. mad.gif A few others (though not many Buicks) are built from cars and materials so rare that if they'd been found by a restorer the result would've been a salavation of an important piece of history, a fact that many rodders know and therefore they keep cars/parts hidden until they're finsished with them (by which time it's too late). That I find equally disturbing. mad.gif

What will they find in your garage during the estate sale? And what will happen to <span style="font-style: italic">it</span>? confused.gif

Guest Rojo22

Dave I think you missed part of my message. I dont believe I can tell anyone what to do with THEIR car. If it is a one of a kind classic, that is worth more as you said in pieces, I would seriously doubt that the interest for the one of a kind supported the value associated with it. Your piece of history if worth $10,000 to one collector is worth $30,000 as a rodded machine to another collector we know what will happen. If the value for a one of a kind machine was worth $100,000 and a rodded machine was worth much less than that, well I guess the one of a kind would probably remain that way. If the rodder is going to bring the car out and show it and get some interest in the hobby yes it is a positive thing. How many cars do you think are bought by guys who own the car just to own the car, and nobody ever gets to see it? Is this worse or better than someone squirreling away parts in a garage?

Should someone dispose of a one of a kind responsibly? Yeah I would hope there is enough interest in the one of a kind to get it into the hands of someone who will preserve the car. I love to see rare cars, just as everyone else does, but the hobby of "absolutely stock restorations", is a small section of the car collecting world. These guys who rod out the cars are our neighbors in the hobby, and branding them as a section of the hobby that is responsible for damaging cars and keeping good parts out of the "absolutely stock restoration" part of the hobby is not healthy for the hobby. Do what you can to keep the old girls running, and if you dont like what the other guy did, find something nice to say, and leave it at that.....We are not here to "regulate" a hobby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> is a small section of the car collecting world. </div></div>

Yes you've got it!

A Small section...yes...yes...yes, that is what the AACA and BCA should be about. But no, our board wants to change the 38 year focus of the club.

the Wal-mart of the car hobbie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Dave I think you missed part of my message. I dont believe I can tell anyone what to do with THEIR car. </div></div>

That wasn't in there, and neither does anyone else. The other thread I referenced, and several others on the forum, try to explore how this situation can be and why it came about. To dismiss it as <span style="font-style: italic">"people telling other's what to do"</span> is nothing short of avoiding the issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Your piece of history if worth $10,000 to one collector is worth $30,000 as a rodded machine to another collector we know what will happen. </div></div>

Knowing what will happen, agreeing with it, and understanding the long term consequences of it's outcome are <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> different things. frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Should someone dispose of a one of a kind responsibly? Yeah I would hope there is enough interest in the one of a kind to get it into the hands of someone who will preserve the car. </div></div>

How about one of 3 of a kind? 7? 250? 2499? The last one left? The last 6? Look at the thread referenced in R&R (all 5 pages of pictures) and try to tell me that the preservationist spirit of this hobby isn't being rapidly eroded. mad.gif

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yes you've got it!

A Small section...yes...yes...yes, that is what the AACA and BCA should be about. But no, our board wants to change the 38 year focus of the club.

the Wal-mart of the car hobbie. </div></div>

Tommy, how long have you been a BCA member and also how active have you been in guiding the BCA?

Time to put in my 2 cents. I am a woman with grandchildren so I can still remember a lot of the 48's on the road. Whatever the year, style or modification ,Buick people are going to appreciate them . As has been stated earlier ,what the owner ends up with is HIS/HER's pride and joy ! If you don't like or approve of what they have done to their automobile walk away or turn the page. We have a 1973 Buick Centurion 455, triple black 2 dr. sport coupe ,45,000 miles all original that I love with my whole heart and a 1967 Buick LeSabre 340-4 ,2 door hdt that was my deceased father in laws car. WE are in the process of restoring it now and it will be ready to take out next spring. Do my cars offend you ??? The truth of the matter is ,there are some cars out there that I don't really care for but my upbringing would not allow me to insult anyones car no matter the year or the " rod " work done on it. I would love to have anyone of the cars pictured. Have you been to many shows lately? There are more 60's and 70's than the earlier years and before long it will be the turn of the 80's and 90's. They are Buicks and they are ALL beautiful !

Guest Rojo22

Again Dave the hidden meaning in the thread is, IF YOU get over it, well that is good for you, but you dont have to get over it for the rest of us. If you feel like the BCA doesnt represent what YOU specifically believe in, well maybe you should start the MUST BE ABSOLUTELY WHAT I LIKE AND APPROVE OF CLUB! We will see how many members sign up for that.

If it isnt rusting away, being crushed or just plain neglected that IS THE DEFINITION OF PRESERVATION. This is not a regulated hobby, and to try and "tell others what to do with their car" is not ignoring the issue, it is actually confronting what you can control (your own car) and accepting the rest. And as others have mentioned it is the application of good upbringing that should prevent us from insulting someone elses car, or forcing them to feel poorly for their own decisions (which you may object to in the privacy of your home, or face the consequences of your rude actions being displayed in a public forum).

Keith,

BCA number #36684.

Not to many '27 buick in New York city.

And no, I'm a working stiff, I don't have time to fight with the retirees at board meeting. Give me another 25 years.

I get first place in the display class on all my cars.

Strange how Dave Moon is agreeing with a Republican!

(I knew he would come around.)

But yes, I have taken a cheap shot at our friends '48, who I'm sure is a good man who dose not beat his wife.

Never the less, I still think it dose not belong in the Bugle!

Go to a hot rod club for crying out loud and put my rustic '27 in a triple center fold for all the young people to hange on their walls.

I was in the Horseless Carraige club, with my '50 years ago, and they don't want to know your name unless you've got some pre-'14 BRASS.

Guest my3buicks

Tommy, so you are fairly new to the BCA and may not be in tune with what the membership has been pushing for for many years. You need to attend nationals, regionals and local Buick shows to get the FULL flavor and feel of the BCA. You will find many members on this forum are old time BCA members (and I'm not talking age) As stated before the BCA is an umbrella for ALL Buick enthusiasts not just the purists. For the record I'm a purist, but can appreciate and enjoy the quality work, the great ideas and the beautiful results of many of the streetrods & customs. My car ownership has leaned heavily toward the 50's and 60's, while I enjoy and appreciate the older cars, their not for me. (although a 39 could find it's way to my garage someday) But my point is, I appreciate the older cars for what they are, the history, the beauty of them but more importantly I respect the owners for preserving them as they see fit for all to enjoy. All members should respect each other and each others likes in the car hobby - you don't have to agree or like it, but give fellow members respect. Also, contrary to your comment on "retirees" many current and past board members have been FAR from retirement or retirement age - you can also benefit and work toward the good of the BCA in Chapters/Regions and other venues other than being a board member. We are all working stiffs with families, responsibilities, and the daily stresses of life but if you want to make a difference in a Club or work to the good of the club you make time to do what you can. Have you taken the time to submit pictures and an article for the Bugle on your 27? And yes the 48 Custom has every bit as much right to be in the bugle as any other car in the BCA. I started in the BCA at age 18, I'm now 43, have been extremely active in the BCA, and have treasured the years, friendships and memories the BCA has afforded me. Lighten up and enjoy the BCA for what it is, and help to build and make it even better.

Keith,

My BCA number I got in 1987.

My AACA number is 500867 in 1990.

My CLC number is 13620 in 1995.

Try to run all three clubs from my arm chair is not easy!

My other big stink in my '27 group is the "mainfold flippers", who flip the intake and put a down draft carb on the car.

I think it's more a reason not to bring a pre-'42 car to a BCA meet. Check this thing out at pre-'30's show two weeks ago. My idea of a car show.

mystic-1.jpg