David Wunsch passes away

I just received a call from Sandy Neidigh, a very dear friend of David Wunsch's, telling me that David passed away this morning after surgery. Sandy asked that I post this information on the Forum, since it is Sunday morning and she has been unable to reach anyone at National Headquarters.

Sandy advised that David had recently confided in her regarding his medical condition and asked that she act as his spokesman within the AACA family should the worst happen.

Sandy asked that cards and condolences be sent to David's son, Craig Wunsch at David's home address, 9346 N. Weather Hill Drive, Tucson, AZ 85743. She also said that it was David's wish that any remembrances be made to the AACA Library & Research Center.

Howard Scotland

David was my friend, my mentor.

He got me involved with the AACA. Through his example I became a judge, a meet chairman, a newsletter editor, a regional officer - and the webmaster for the AACA and this forum. Without his lead, I may never had done any of them.

My most satisfying moments involved with the club were done working with David.

I will miss him.

Peter

P.S. As I get more information about his funeral arrangements I will be sure to post them here.

What a shock and a loss for all, Dave was a friend to all of us. He was always a person who wanted to help in any way. As a AACA Board member we saw Dave at his finest. He always performed his job in a quality way and followed up on everything. He will be sadly missed by all. Our prayers go out to Dave's family

Doug and Joyce Drake

There are no words that can describe the void felt within ones self when a friend is lost. This man was a friend to not only to so many individuals but to AACA as a whole. Dave Wunsch cheerfully accepted every challenge put to him and carried out his tasks at a constant 100% level. Yet, even more so carried himself with a quiet aura of professionalism at all times. Whether acting on behalf of AACA during his roles as Chairman of Judges Training, or more currently as a National Director, or simply the man that he was, it was always easy to see the leadership present.

Simply put this man was a class act all the way and I am proud as so many of us are to have called him our friend.

Wayne,

Prior to serving as a national director, Dave served on the National Judging Committee for six years. During that time he held the position of Chairman Judges Training. He was involved in a major revision of the judging form that we use today at national meets.

Dave received two national awards from AACA for his contribution to the success of the AACA Judging Program. He was respected by his fellow board members and a good friend to all.

During 1999, when I was president of AACA, the Tucson Region under Dave Wunsch?s leadership hosted two AACA back to back national meets - the Western Division National Meet and the AGNM. Dave had three packed days planned of activities. He made me feel very special during my stay and even offered his Cadillac for me to use on the Western Divisional Tour held in Sedona, AZ immediately following the two meets in Tucson. I have wonderful memories of my visit out west thanks to Dave.

He will be missed by all who knew him.

Janet

I wish to echo every word that Dave Berg has said, and those said by Janet Ricketts and others who knew Dave Wunsch. I last spoke with him by phone on October 31, twice that day, both seeking his advice and wishing him well during his upcoming surgery. He was upbeat as always, knowledgeable as always, supportive as always and ready for the difficult days ahead. My sense of loss at this sudden turn of events is difficult to put into words. I'll just say that I think my life was enriched by knowing Dave, and sharing thoughts with him during the all too limited time I had the priviledge of being his friend.

Earl D. Beauchamp, Jr.

Julia E. (Judy) Beauchamp

Today we awakened to the most devastating news. To learn of the passing of such a good friend, Dave Wunsch was such a sadness. My last e-mail before I left for Tallahassee was with Dave. We will feel this loss personally as will so many of us in the AACA that know him. Those who have not met Dave also will feel this loss as he was a quiet "behind the scenes" worker for so much of our organization. It seems hard not to think of this man with his smile which lit his face when he saw you and his warm hug of welcome and his ability to get things done.

Goodbye, dear friend. John and Fran Shore

Guest imported_Brenda Shore

Dave Wunsch was my friend and much of the reason that I became an AACA judge. His commitment and guidance was invaluable and something that I will remember forever. I just spoke to Dave about two weeks ago - he was apologizing for not being able to help judge our websites due to the surgery. This speaks volumes as to his concerns for others.

I will miss you Dave - you were my friend, my dinner partner and my judging mentor. I know, however, that you are already busy judging cars and helping others in your new "home".

Love and prayers to you Dave, Brenda

Sally and I add our condolences to Dave's family and many friends. His friendship was warm and genuine, his accomplishments many, and his dedication to AACA and the hobby unsurpassed. We are grateful to have had the opportunity to have shared his presence and mourn his passing. Ron and Sally Barnett

Dave's death is a case of Earth's loss being Heaven's gain. Dave was a good friend to both of us. His visits in our home which was a pleasure we will never forget. He leaves so many people with such good memories.

Buddy & Patt Paquet

Words can't begin to convey the sense of loss and sorrow we feel. Having had the pleasure to work with Dave on our board was something I'll always treasure. What a tremendous loss for us personally who have known him, and of course for AACA - he was so dedicated and such a hard worker! But, we will move on for the good of the hobby and the club and treasure the memories his time with us brought. Dave would have wanted it that way.

Terry

Guest snkchevcol

It's not much that I can say about Dave that hasn't already been mentioned in the other posts, but I would like to say that since the first time I met Dave (Judges Apprentice Program)he has always been like a close friend to me. Dave was the kind of person that once you met him he was your friend for life. No matter what he was doing he would always take time out to talk with you and listen to what you may have had to say. Saying this gentlemen will be missed by his family and friends is a true understatement.

Rocky Sink

Dave and I had spoken about his surgery in October. He was a dear friend and great chair of Judges Training. He taught me much. He was not afraid of the surgery. He wanted a better quality of life. Who's to say he hasn't received it?

David's funeral service will be in Tucson at Brings Broadway Chapel at @ 10am Friday. (11/14/03)

As stated earlier by Howard:

Send cards and condolences to David's son,

Craig Wunsch

9346 N. Weather Hill Drive

Tucson, AZ 85743.

David's wish was that any remembrances be made to:

AACA Library & Research Center

501 WEST GOVERNOR ROAD

P.O. BOX 417

HERSHEY, PA 17033

PHONE: (717) 534-2082

AN EMAIL I RECV. FROM Sharon Lee:

I too am very saddened by the loss of my (our) friend, Dave Wunsch. I talked with Dave just last Wednesday, November 5th, and have been in contact with his brother and son several times during Dave's hospitalization and since his death Sunday morning at 3:18am, November 9th.

I just spoke with Dave's sons Keith and Kevin and now know that the funeral arrangements have been made--

Friday, November 14, 10:00 a.m.

Bring Funeral Home

6910 East Broadway Boulevard

Tucson, Arizona 85701

This is located on the SW Corner of Broadway and Kolb and the services will be held in the Broadway Chapel.

I also learned that Dave had requested any memorials be made in his memory to the AACA Library and Research Center. This request had been shared with Sandy Neidigh.

Keith and Kevin were touched by everyone's concern and expressions of sympathy. I have spoken with President Joe Vicini who plans on attending the funeral on Friday and he asked that I share this information with each of you. Please feel free to forward this information to anyone you feel would want to know. The family (brother, Keith, two sons, Craig and Kevin) is presently at Dave's home: 9346 North Weather Hill Drive, Tucson, AZ 85743

Also, I talked with Glenn Neidigh yesterday and he was feeling somewhat better, but I just talked with Sandy this evening and she stated that Glenn had a very bad day today, had not done well following his treatments and that she would be spending the night in his room as she was very concerned. I asked if I could share with you that Glenn was not doing well today (and have her permission) and I know you will want to keep Sandy and Glenn in your prayers. Sandy had hoped to travel to Tucson on Friday to be with Dave's family as I know all of you are aware they were close friends but will now be awaiting consults with Glenn's doctors before (if) making the trip. We will be talking again tomorrow and I will share what I learn.

Sharon Lee

Guest Art Griffin

I first met David when the Tucson Region put on those back to back Grand National and National Meets. We shared stories about hosting meets and immediately became friends. And since then he has been involved greatly in AACA.....giving unselfishly of his time and energy. You can see from Janet Ricketts' posting his many AACA activities. We will all miss David greatly!! My condolences to his family.

I had only known Dave since joining the Tucson Region in 2000. We always thought it gave us a little more class to have an AACA National Officer as one of our members. As others have already stated, Dave was "Mr.Class" and national credentials or not, was an incredible asset to our club.

I had been working with Dave on the 2004 Founders Tour since last spring and his knowledge of the technical aspects of putting an event together were impressive. If you needed it done, Dave could get it done.

Although we in the Tucson Region are extrememly sadded by his passing, we will continue with the plans he had put in motion and hopefully be able to honor his memory with one of the most enjoyable Tours ever.

Roy Ireland

Tucson NEVER gets fog, but this morning the city was blanketed, just like the sadness all who attended David?s funeral felt. Fortunately, as the morning advanced the fog lifted, as did our spirits as we all shared our fondest memories of Dave.

The Pastor who spoke at David?s funeral quoted many of you ? right from your posts above. I've never been more proud of this forum. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences of David.

Peter

As Peter mentioned the pastor included as part of the service many of the remarks that were made on the forum about Dave. What was interesting was he chose comments made by those who did not know him as well as those who did. Your spirit was with all of us at the service.

I did want to share with you a special part of the service at the grave site. The pastor had a card (more like a booklet) from Dave?s parents that was given to him upon his graduation. Apparently, it was very special to Dave as he kept it all these years. The pastor read a couple of verses from the card. I was taken with one particular verse, in which Dave underlined certain words.

I shall pass through this world but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any <span style="font-weight: bold">good thing</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">I can do</span> , let me <span style="font-weight: bold">do it now</span> , let me not <span style="font-weight: bold">not defer it</span> or <span style="font-weight: bold">neglect it</span> for I shall <span style="font-weight: bold">not pass this way again</span> .

I think all of us that knew Dave can attest that he lived by these word.

Joe Vicini, AACA President, was asked to say a few words at Dave's service; he did a very nice job representing AACA.

Janet