Has anyone used uship?

jp1gt

I've used Uship for shipping cars a couple of times. It's primarily brokers. The result was unsatisfying. I got a whole bunch of unrealistically low quotes, none of which ever actually turned into a shipment. These brokers put the shipment out for bid to actual truckers, which didn't ever get selected. In every case, I ended up cancelling Uship and going directly to a shipper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many guys spend so many hours trying to figure out how to save $200 on their shipping and end up with borked-up cars.

Pay one of the big guys the money it takes to do it right and avoid the hassles. It's ALWAYS worth it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am a hauler/ carrier that uses Uship to find loads, it is a "tool" for me. Look at the bidders profiles to find out more about them. Yes there are lots of brokers that bid there. There are lots of small guys too. Yes there is also the guy down the street with a pickmeup truck and no insurance and not legal too. Anyone can sign up and bid on loads. 

In their profiles there is feedback and "qualifications" such as how long they have been on Uship, if they do tracking through Uship (which is nothing more then them saying they are "here"),  or safer watch. Safer Watch is a site that the government uses to show if carriers/ brokers are authorized to be who they say they are and any out of service issues in the past.  Here is my Uship profile  https://www.uship.com/service-provider/237028592-das-bulli-haus

If you book a load through Uship they take the money for the load that includes their fees to you and to the hauler (around 20% from the hauler) and hold it. Once your item (car) is delivered you give the hauler the payment code and they get their money. It is honestly a great system as far as the money goes although the fees are a bit too high for what they really do but they unfortunately are the best site out there doing what they are doing.  

• Like 1

I was going to use them once several years ago to have a car shipped from Colorado to Kentucky. A guy responded and gave me a price. I started asking a lot of questions and found out that he had a pickup with over 300k miles on it and then he admitted that he had a tow dolly and not a trailer. The car he would be moving had been sitting in a garage  for almost 20 years and the tires held air but were dry rotted. That could have turned out to be a real disaster. I immediately cancelled my uShip account and paid more for a more reliable hauler. If you use uShip you will probably regret it. Good luck....

I have a neighbor that gets loads for his pickup and sometimes trailer. Don't know how he finds these loads.

He goes all over the country in his older pick up, often hauling the client's trailer. Boats, campers etc.

Nice guy, but I don't think I would be comfortable consigning anything valuable with him.

Last car I had shipped was with an outfit that Ed suggested, and I was very happy.

I could fill a book with horror stories by acquaintances, clients, colleagues & friends who have used Uship or similar online shipping/transportation brokers …

YMMV

I have [as well as friends] used U-Ship quite a number of times over many years.......and has worked out very well.....not one bad situation ....the last one this summer with a 42 foot fifth wheel trailer from sounthern Texas to the Canada border.

I do not know if I would ship a million dollar car that way but great for other items and if no urgent time line.

I do not see it any different than say a ad on this site like "anybody heading to Hershey from Arizona" plus you cant check ratings and insurance etc.

In all my shipments there was NO way i could ever have gotten the items shipped so cheap such a long distance and all the carriers were carring and nice rigs ........thier service depended on the ratings they get from you afterwards .

Obviously most are small business and not your full service providers like Purolator or DHL etc.......and was dealing with the actual person doing the hauling.

Used once to move a two-wheel across the country. Never again. 

Ultimately, I did receive the bike but it was a horrible experience overall for all of the reasons already explained in this thread and then some.

It was years ago and I think I shared a more detailed account of here, if you wanted to search for uship stories.

Edited by Scooter Guy (see edit history)

Shipping Wars TV show featured the characters of Uship bidding on transporting loads.  It was entertaining and at times might make you think twice about choosing certain featured transporters.

4 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Shipping Wars TV show featured the characters of Uship bidding on transporting loads.  It was entertaining and at times might make you think twice about choosing certain featured transporters.

Keep in mind that it was a TV show and was made for TV. If they did a show following me around it would be very boring. 

• Like 1

I've had good luck the two times I've used uship.  The first time was quite a while ago.  I had a Corvair shipped from Georgia to Long Island without a problem.  I don't remember what I paid for that one.  The second time was two years ago to ship a late model Malibu from Missouri to Long Island.  Both drivers were courteous and the cars had no damage.  

I wasn't thinking a car I was thinking of some big bulky car parts It would be hard to damage. One thing that has changed in 2024 people that haul stuff for the company have to have a DOT license.$200