Value of antique tractor? 1948 Ford 8N

22 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Yes, very similar, I had a nice 30 for awhile. Only problem was it didn't have an  over running clutch. When mowing with a rotary mower when you put the clutch in the mower would still drive the tractor forward for about 10 to 15 feet. 

I seem to remember that Ford bought or stole the 3 point hydraulic system from Ferguson...........Bob

After a near miss or two with mine I bought an over run clutch that fit on the ond of the PTO output shaft. Tractor Supply if I remember, major improvement!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NewOldWood said:

After a near miss or two with mine I bought an over run clutch that fit on the ond of the PTO output shaft. Tractor Supply if I remember, major improvement!

I traded mine in on a New Holland something or other then traded that in on a New Holland (Fiat) 4020. A real brute and more than I need but nothing is worse than not having enough tractor for the job..............Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

I traded mine in on a New Holland something or other then traded that in on a New Holland (Fiat) 4020. A real brute and more than I need but nothing is worse than not having enough tractor for the job..............Bob

In my case the old 9n was plenty of tractor for what I was doing. That and I have a fondness for working antiques, there were times when riding around on the old tractor was somehow therapeutic.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NewOldWood said:

In my case the old 9n was plenty of tractor for what I was doing. That and I have a fondness for working antiques, there were times when riding around on the old tractor was somehow therapeutic.

Under stood.

I did a nice cosmetic referb on the 30 but it just wasn't up to the jobs at hand. The 4020 is 4 wheel drive diesel and 65 HP at the draw bar. Now I mostly use it for mowing, snow plowing and splitting wood. Over kill but I like it.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had a 9N that we used at the boat dealership to move boats around.

We had it painted up with flames and pin stripes and it was very popular with the customers.

I sold it when I retired and have no pictures, only the memories.

Probably a bit of sellers remorse here.

• Like 1

The N series Ford tractors can be a little confusing when they were made.  Here is a simple chart

Model -  Introduction Year

9N      -    1939

2N      -    1942

8N      -    1947

NAA*  -   1953

*also known as the "Golden Jubilee"

Edited by Axial_Flow (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Change the introduction of the 8N to 1947. I have one, 1947 serial number. 

8Ns have 4 speed transmissions and a slight horsepower increase over the 9N and 2N. 30! Wheeeeee!🏎️🏎️😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry, this is an antique site. Oh, you qualify!🤣  As do I......

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

And in PA tractors are street legal on most roads

Of course, how else does the farmer get from one field to another across town? 😉   Then there are farm use tags to get the "non-registered" truck hauling beans, etc to market once a year.😁

• Like 1

I used to say my dad and uncle wore out their tractor and equipment tires "road farming". They leased most of their tobacco acreage and some of those fields were several miles apart on tar and gravel roads. Southern States Cooperative and the Virginia Farm Bureau did thriving business with farm equipment tires. Being members of both, their tires were on our family cars and trucks as well as farm equipment.

Thanks to the efforts of a small-town police chief and a 49th House district legislator who can't keep his hands off the license plate statutes, the old "FARM USE" plates that were sold at all farm stores have gone buh-bye in the Commonwealth. You have to purchase specific farm plates at DMV effective 7/1/24.

I can't prove it but my gut feeling is that police chief had owt to do with the 2007 mess with antique and YOM plates in Virginia. Once he moved from medium-sized city police captain to podunk town police chief, one of his first actions was to zero in on farm use vehicles. Not hard to put two and two together, especially since the legislator served both the city and the town and his only response to being asked why he went after the antique plates was "it was done at the request of law enforcement". Uh-huh.

• Thanks 2

(Allegedly) In rural Australia farm vehicles on roads is covered under the "Don't get caught" legislation.😅🚜

Also applies to own fire private vehicles attending local fires.

I also have a Fordson Major?, runs, but with cost of new tyres, I can buy a similar running one with passable tyres.

Catch 22.

I was at the local convenience store and in comes a vintage 1960's tractor. Pulled up to the diesel pump. This thing was solid and well used. I am thinking it may have been an IH. It looked very much like it was still doing regular duty in the fields. Made me think, why cant they build cars this solid? Looked like the only thing ever done to this tractor was add fuel and change the oil every 15 years or so.

(Ok, So I know why, and I know IH made passenger vehicles but really, it is a testament as to how well built these old farm tractors were)

• Like 2

1. Yes, no plates required on farm tractors here in VA. The slow triangle is nice to have. Farm trucks need plates.

2. If that 1960's tractor was driven on roads with the old salt or this new fangled brine, it would not still be here!😞

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

1. Yes, no plates required on farm tractors here in VA. The slow triangle is nice to have. Farm trucks need plates.

2. If that 1960's tractor wa driven on roads with the old salt or this new fangled brine, it would not still be here!😞

Spreading manure would rot the fenders off of them if it was not washed off. We kept a spreader on the farm 5 years or less as they rusted away. Orchard tractors would also suffer some from the spay materials used. It would eat at the Radiator core. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)