1949 Buick Super Sedanette - $18,000

Long term ownership is always what you want! 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/south-pasadena-1949-buick-super/7780196297.html

I've owned this car for 28 years. Rebuilt Dynaflow transmission works fine but has a leak at the rear seal that needs to be fixed. Car runs and drives good. Current title with YOM 1949 California plates, NO TRADES or lowballers.

email;   48ae8eff32cd3c209fd77e33868925e3@sale.craigslist.org

1949 Buick Super Sedanette 100B0B_a8pflAzme9J_0fu06Y_600x450.jpg00y0y_2KLeCOkFBh0_0fu06Y_600x450.jpg01414_iUugSNga8g5_0e706V_600x450.jpg00N0N_7ILvtA6nQRd_0of0aQ_600x450.jpg00R0R_2yjWB7YLOam_0fu06Y_600x450.jpg00j0j_NIcdB5EyZJ_0b00e9_600x450.jpg

• Like 5

It's probably already gone for $18,000.  One of postwar Buick's most iconic shapes, this is highly coveted.  This color is it's best or nearly best color too.   If you buy a solid 1949 Sedanet for say $4000, then pull the chrome off to have redone, you would be well into 5 figures already.   Buy this car instead. 

While 1949 Roadmasters are arguably cooler owing to the longer hood, they are the same 122" wheelbase, and have a far more difficult parts path with the 322 cid straight 8.  The 248 is a great compromise motor, getting better gas mileage and having much better parts availability.   

• Like 3

I like this one (of course).

I think this forum is named inappropriately. Rather than ‘Not Mine…’ this should be named +Wallet Emptying Forum: Restraint Advised+

It’s a damn good thing I only have a two car garage. 

• Haha 1

That's a damn nice 49; my favorite year for the sedanet.  I will be in that area today and may go look at it.  But I really shouldn't buy it!

On 8/30/2024 at 8:25 AM, B Jake Moran said:

It's probably already gone for $18,000.

Nope, still listed as of now.  But of course @deac is on his way over "just to have a look." 😜 Beautiful car!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, neil morse said:

But of course @deac is on his way over "just to have a look.

Can't wait to read his new "Me and My Buick" thread!  ;)

He better hurry-up and finish the '57 Poncho...

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

He better hurry-up and finish the '57 Poncho...

I have put a lot of work into the 57.   Got to come up for air now and what better air can I get that's better than a Buick?  BTW the seller of the sedanet has not responded to my inquiry yet....

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I would need to see more than one small ground level external picture of the car taken from far away before I drove any great distance to see it. Since I've seen several much higher priced 1949 Buick sedanets in considerably worse condition than this one (and personally inspected one myself) advertised for sale I'm a bit skeptical about this one. There's not nearly enough pictures or information in the ad to form an opinion, at least for me. 

Update:  My exuberance for this car has dropped some after talking to the seller.  The biggest issue is there's a leak from the the trans and it been leaking for 28 years.  The seller says he's had the trans rebuilt and the leak is still there; something fishy going on.  I mentioned that in certain cases the trans fluid can find it's way down the torque tube and mix with the rear end fluid.  To that he said he doesn't drive it very far and he checks the rear end fluid often.  He says it's the trans leaking yet describes the repair like it's the rear main seal  He also indicated that the engine has a knock while going down the road, however the knock is not heard at idle.  He stated that he has repainted the car and the car originally he suspects it was a green.  I asked about the wiring in the car and he never replaced it!  I am not looking for a project; a solid driver in good shape, yes.  This one is a headache.  I am supposed to go see it today but now I am not sure I will go. I'll keep my 1940 "Super Super"; there are no headaches in that car!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4