Chrysler in old photo?

Arkopolis

I found this framed photo in my late father's storage space. He and his father had a Chrysler dealership from 1925 to 1969, so I'm guessing it was hanging there but I don't know the year or model - or even if it's a Chrysler. Was it a special model that still might be out there in some collection? Thanks for whatever help you can give!

EADC1B52-CEEE-4015-B930-6F02B95367F7_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Arkopolis said:

I found this framed photo in my late father's storage space. He and his father had a Chrysler dealership from 1925 to 1969, so I'm guessing it was hanging there but I don't know the year or model - or even if it's a Chrysler. Was it a special model that still might be out there in some collection? Thanks for whatever help you can give!

EADC1B52-CEEE-4015-B930-6F02B95367F7_1_105_c.jpeg

1933 Chrysler....

1933 Chrysler Dual Cowl Phaeton.jpg

• Like 3

That’s one of the first CCCA cars I ever got my dirty hands on back in the 80’s. Had a bunch of fun driving it all over hell and back. Interestingly it was restored at Chrysler in the early 60’s for the then CEO of Chrysler. They didn’t like the original gear box, so they made a new one from scratch with an over drive in it. It was still in the car when we sold it. Many great memories of that machine……..driving through Martha’s Vineyard with Carly Simon in it, and also Dan Ackroyd…………fun times for a kid still in college. I have photos somewhere, but no access to them here at Pebble.

• Like 2

Would it have had chrome wire wheels when new?    Wire wheels were common in the '30's but chrome wires and rims

seem odd on that vintage vehicle

57 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Would it have had chrome wire wheels when new?    Wire wheels were common in the '30's but chrome wires and rims

seem odd on that vintage vehicle

Absolutely normal. 

22 hours ago, Arkopolis said:

Awesome! Thank you all for the info! I wish my grandfather had the car and not just the photo!

Looks like one could be mine for only $70,000.

https://thevaultms.com/inventory/1933-chrysler-imperial/

Arkopolis:

Although both your grandfather's car and the one Vault Cars has for sale are both Chryslers, they are a world apart in models built that year.

Your grandfather's car was 1932-'33 Chrysler Custom Imperial Series CL dual cowl phaeton by LeBaron, 385 ci L-Head straight eight, 146" wb factory priced $3,395.

The Vault Cars offering is a 1933 Chrysler Royal Series CT two-door convertible sedan, 273.7 ci L-Head straight eight, 120" wb factory priced $1,085.

While both are desirable cars; their current valuations reflect not only their relative rarity but also their individual desirability among collectors.  The Series CL Custom Imperial LeBarons are well into six-figures in price when they change hands.

Steve

'33 Chrysler Royal CT a.jpg

'33 Chrysler Royal CT b.jpg

'33 Chrysler Royal CT c.jpg

• Like 2

What great information! Thanks so much, Steve, for the clarification.

17 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Arkopolis:

Although both your grandfather's car and the one Vault Cars has for sale are both Chryslers, they are a world apart in models built that year.

Your grandfather's car was 1932-'33 Chrysler Custom Imperial Series CL dual cowl phaeton by LeBaron, 385 ci L-Head straight eight, 146" wb factory priced $3,395.

The Vault Cars offering is a 1933 Chrysler Royal Series CT two-door convertible sedan, 273.7 ci L-Head straight eight, 120" wb factory priced $1,085.

While both are desirable cars; their current valuations reflect not only their relative rarity but also their individual desirability among collectors.  The Series CL Custom Imperial LeBarons are well into six-figures in price when they change hands.

Steve

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mercman from oz said:

Thanks! I'll get my hands on a copy.

Read all about these Chrysler models in the just released October 2024 issue of Collectible Automobile magazine.

image.jpeg.c7deae8f220dcd893d16e1d11d62afc8.jpeg

On 8/14/2024 at 3:29 PM, edinmass said:

That’s one of the first CCCA cars I ever got my dirty hands on back in the 80’s. Had a bunch of fun driving it all over hell and back. Interestingly it was restored at Chrysler in the early 60’s for the then CEO of Chrysler. They didn’t like the original gear box, so they made a new one from scratch with an over drive in it. It was still in the car when we sold it. Many great memories of that machine……..driving through Martha’s Vineyard with Carly Simon in it, and also Dan Ackroyd…………fun times for a kid still in college. I have photos somewhere, but no access to them here at Pebble.

Man, what a great story!

On 8/14/2024 at 3:32 PM, Matt Harwood said:

The car in your photo is going to cost A LOT more than $70,000. An Imperial dual-cowl phaeton by LeBaron is deep in the six-figures.

This car is a dual windshield phaeton. There is no second cowl. The 2nd windshield rises out of the front seat.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2024 at 1:48 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

This is a dual windshield phaeton. There is no cowling in the rear compartment

On 8/14/2024 at 2:09 PM, dustycrusty said:

One of 36 built!

LeBaron shipped 50 of these bodies to Chrysler. 14 were shipped on 1932 chassis, a few were sent back to the factory and updated with 1933 front sheet metal (hood/grill/fenders), new serial and motor numbers and resold as 1933.

• Like 2