1927 Buick, not mine.

Thanks for the enlarged images. It looks that at least they gave it a wash before the ad photos were taken. It may have been an older restoration. No upholstery on the rumble seat back the paint looks quite faded.The silver painted bumpers are getting rusty again. Quite a few dents and dings. But I like it! I would like some photos of the engine compartment as well as the interior.

• Like 3

This is a great car to own, ask me how I know?

I bought my 1928 Master country club coupe about 8 years ago, it was an amateur restoration from the seventies. It is a fun comfortable car. The 274 ci 77 hp engine goes down the road at 50 mph. It will pull most hills at that speed without slowing, four wheel brakes are not horrible typical of external contracting they are effected by water and do not stop as well in when traveling in reverse. 128” wheel base with hydraulic shock means a good ride. Most impressive is the interior fit and finish is much like a Packard.  Now the rest of the story as Paul Harvey use to say, the 1927-1928IMG_0917.jpeg.b2473633355c8a5a7b372b5f3a39193e.jpegIMG_1398.jpeg.b7263df1bf1c842031f9211e7b542fe3.jpeg Buick master copied the 1927-1928 Packard so well that Packard sued Buick and won, you say how can anyone sue for having a car that looks like another, well Packard patented the shape of their hood and when Buick copied it they used that same silhouette on everything from the door handles, instrument cluster, headlight bezels even the dome light switch.  Packard only request was for Buick to stop copying their design, result the 1929 Buick which some say was pretty plain looking.

Packard did have a sense of humor as Buick was using the slogan”when a better car is built Buick will build it” after the lawsuit Packards new saying was “when a prettier car is built Packard will build it” .  After seeing this car for sale I brought mine out of the garage and after a 30 minute drive I took a picture.  By the way the 1927 could well be the original color. In 1928 the country club coupe was avaliable in three different paint color packages.  Mine is in light mountain tan, dark mountain tan, black fenders, vermilion pinstripe and natural wood wheels.  A lot of discussion lately about bad color combos, but I tip my hat off to Buick for putting so many colors together and having it look this sharp. I saw these colors listed in judges guide and confirmed as my car was repainted exterior only, door jams and firewall is original paint.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Pretty cool that this is a Master;  another tipoff is the goddess hood ornament, which indicates it has a water temp gauge on the dash.  The Standards had a motometer instead of a water temp gauge. This year and model would be pretty much at the top of my list, yet all the ones like this are always too far away.  Lately most of the affordable Buicks for sale that I like are way out west

• Like 2

You are totally right about the Packard look of the 1924-1927 Buick, an also the lighter look of the 1928 Buick. But Buick was not alone in inspiring their design to Packard front. In that same time frame, Willys-Knight and Star / Rugby have also a similar look. I am a fan of the look of Buick of this period. I was not able to find much information about Packard law sues to other manufacturers because of radiator shell resemblance, but certainly it was a topic of discussion back in those days. If we pay good attention to today’s cars you may also think they are copying each other!

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This last one looks like an early '28 Standard model 26 business coupe, and not a CC coupe, because it has a trunk rather than a rumble seat.  It does have a golf club door, but the business coupe might have also had that.  It is a Standard because of the small engine, and the belt is flat.  Later '28 models or maybe just the larger engines had a V belt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jps said:

Also, the headlights have painted buckets, and the CC coupe would have plated buckets.  Pretty sure this is a business coupe

The 1928 master 54C was the first Buick to use some chrome, the Headlight buckets were chrome and the rest was nickel, radiator shell, bumpers ect. On a nickel tour I keep waiting for someone to say something about the chrome , I believe the previous year the master used nickel headlight buckets.  Another way to identify master from standard is the master has a water distribution pipe that is horizontal and lives above the valve cover, below I included a picture of the headlight bucket next to the radiator shell.

my car came with the grill gaurd, either you like them or you hate them. I have decided that I do like it even though it hides the unique Buick dip under the badge.IMG_0926.jpeg.bd500c613b77a14784dfc81a46283214.jpeg

• Like 4