For Sale: 1954 Hudson Hornet Convertible w/Twin H & OD - $29,900 - Coloma, MI - Not Mine

For Sale: 1954 Hudson Hornet Convertible w/Twin H & OD - $29,900 - Coloma, MI

1954 hudson hornet for sale by owner - Coloma, MI - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1954 Hudson Hornet convertible in excellent condition, runs and drives perfect. Overdrive, all original, no notifications. Please call with questions. $29,900. odometer: 89000.
Copy and paste in your email: d1893b5adcb234b09ed22fa3327e6846@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1954 Hudson Hornet Convertible w/Twin H & OD.

'54 Hudson Hornet conv MI a.jpg

'54 Hudson Hornet conv MI b.jpg

'54 Hudson Hornet conv MI c.jpg

'54 Hudson Hornet conv MI d.jpg

'54 Hudson Hornet conv MI e.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Neat.  Interesting juxtaposition to the Halo cars of 53/54.  Short money compared to them.

A.J.:

If we knew the actual number of 1954 Hudson Hornet convertibles built, I suspect we would find out there were fewer of them built than each of the 1954 'halo' models from the other makers.  

Steve 

• Like 2

"Rare" does not necessarily constitute desirable or valuable, IMHO. On top of that, this supposed $30 grand car needs a top, if not other things, too.

Never cared for the thick header over the windshield, but many owners hide it well with a sun visor:

image.jpeg.e71bc5868f10292c241a6c7982417ee5.jpegimage.jpeg.ddf919cfb13b491d16f9cbc911065e0a.jpeg

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)

Hudson just cut off the roof and welded in a stepped piece to carry the convertible front bow and seal. All Hudsons 1948-1953 use the same windshield, 1954 being different with a one piece windshield. All Hollywood hardtop doors and window assemblies fit the convertibles.

more pictures 062.jpg

more pictures 049.jpg

• Like 6

For some indication of how scarce these late Hudson convertibles were from the start, The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states for the 1954 model:

"Note 2: Industry trade magazines indicate that, on a calendar year basis, Hudson built 2,654 Hollywoods and 222 convertibles with no series breakouts"

How those numbers exclude any 1954 models built in 1953 and are divided between 1954 Super Wasps and Hornets is anyone's guess now.  But, for comparison, the production of the 1954 'halo' models, the Packard Caribbean convertible: 400; the Cadillac Eldorado convertible: 2,150; the Buick Skylark convertible: 836; Kaiser Darrin 161: 435; Hudson Italia: 26, and Nash-Healey: 90.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

IMO and I'll admit I'm really going out on a limb here and flying by the seat of my pants with absolutely NO figures to back it up but I think I've seen more 1954 Hudson Hornet convertibles both in person and on the Internet -either just pictured or for sale- in the last 20 years than any of these 1954 competitor's make convertibles: 1954 Buicks (that are not Skylarks), Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Chryslers, DeSotos, Lincolns, or Mercurys. The majority of Hornet convertibles I've seen have been red, but I've seen some black and yellow ones too. I'm thinking that for a car that finished waaaay down in 14th place on the 1954 US auto production list that estimated 222 convertible production figure is either really low or 1954 Hudson Hornet convertibles have had an unusually high survival rate like Roy mentioned........But maybe it's just me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roysboystoys said:

It seems they were low production , but have a high survival rate. I see more 1954 convertibles than 52/53

I have found 1952’s to be the hardest to find in any body style. So many of these cars were used on a track somewhere. Convertible production went down from 51-53, and went up a little in 54.

3 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I have found 1952’s to be the hardest to find in any body style. So many of these cars were used on a track somewhere. Convertible production went down from 51-53, and went up a little in 54.

Xander:

Have the actual convertible production numbers been found for the Step-Down series?

Steve

• Like 1

I have heard different numbers thrown around by people over the years. Not sure if anyone knows? 350 in 1951, 250 in 1952, 150 in 1953 and 250-350 in 1954? These numbers came from Jim Harmon, he said 1953 is the lowest production, Hudson was in trouble even with on going racing wins. When I had my 52 Hornet convertible the HET club said the vin number made it the 25th, 52 Hornet convertible known of. Sure there are more out there. But even if you double the number. 50 cars spread out over the collector market world wide, is not a lot. I personally saw a 49 commodore convertible go airborne and meet it’s end. So here today does not mean here tomorrow. I heard 400 convertibles for 1947, not sure if that is true?

• Thanks 1

Last I was "active" on the Hudson scene, it was my understanding that Hudson for its full history had been keeping and reporting "calendar year" rather than "model year" production totals.  One of the quirks of Hudson management.  It was certainly the case through the '30s (I specialized in Terraplanes) and I'm near certain still applied in the '50s.

Thus the production for "1935 models" was January 1, '35 to Dec 31, '35.   That included all of early months of 1936 production and made the numbers given fairly useless for product planning IMO.

I believe the Club was so pressed by the hobby in general and "rare" model owners in general that Mr. Harmon and perhaps also Mr. Miller (Ypsilanti) came up with what they believed were darn good estimates to appease inquiries.

"Hey Fred, how many convertibles did we sell in '34?" 

"Well we don't have much idea."

"Fred, how many top assemblies should I order for '35?"

"I dunno, GUESS."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2024 at 1:21 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

A lot of us find the windshield header on the convertibles quite distinctive. Also, that squared-off header was likely a lot less leaky than others.

Also, I've heard Hudson owners complain that a sun visor on a convertible looks goofy. As usual, individual taste prevails.

20 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

"Hey Fred, how many convertibles did we sell in '34?" 

"Well we don't have much idea."

"Fred, how many top assemblies should I order for '35?"

"I dunno, GUESS."

Fred: Give the metal prototype shop and woodworkers the top assembly blueprints, tell them to make a few sets, wait for the orders to show up.  Make more sets whenever we get a convertible sold...they don't have much to do right now...