Nash big 6 sedan 1933 $8,500 Farmingville, NY

Knock knock...

Who's there?

Piston #3!

I really like the style of the dash, really like the whole car actually as I've always had a soft spot for Nash.

The original owner appears to be keeping watch behind and above!

• Haha 8

23 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Photos taken early last fall, with some leaves on ground but most still on trees?  Does that suggest anything to you?

It could suggest a huge number of things, but they would all be speculation until you talk to the seller and see the car. Which I hope a serious potential buyer would do. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gearheadengineer said:

It could suggest a huge number of things, but they would all be speculation until you talk to the seller and see the car. Which I hope a serious potential buyer would do. 

We all (well, most of us) attempt to gather clues or "indicators" from these listings before deciding whether we should spend time contacting the seller--and to some degree to plant some thoughts in the heads of people who may have less knowledge than we may have.  I also noted a lack of engine compartment photos, and only fractional coverage of upholstery (driver's door corner).  "Clues" or "indicators" are indeed speculation but serve as grounds for deciding whether or not to pursue more information--and these clues or indicators can be either positive or negative.

• Like 3

Here it was 3-4 years ago when it was for sale then.  I didn't note the month/year.  Nash folks could answer if the postwar L-head six was a version of this engine. 

'33 Nash six NY a.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grimy said:

Photos taken early last fall, with some leaves on ground but most still on trees?  Does that suggest anything to you?

How about the ghost in the tree? FLA tags but the homes and landscape does not look too much like FLA, other post the car has NY tags. But it all means nothing to me as I am not a player in this game, just doing a bit of sluething.

• Like 2

I wonder if this Nash wasn't offered for sale sometime last year. I remember poring over it, savoring all of it's details. I think that it's an absolute beauty. I simply love the lines. It's a bit like a sophisticated '32 Ford. Do any of you remember seeing it before?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I wonder if this Nash wasn't offered for sale sometime last year. I remember poring over it, savoring all of it's details. I think that it's an absolute beauty. I simply love the lines. It's a bit like a sophisticated '32 Ford. Do any of you remember seeing it before?

I do, i have the photos I saved in a file from posting it that time.  But I did a search, and the prior advertisement doesn't come up so it might have been a few years ago and been cleared away.

This car was at Dragone Motors circa 2020.  You can find a video of them driving it on you tube.  Then was offered in update NY for 2-3 years on Facebook.  Starting price was around 13k and it dropped slowly to around 8k last fall.   Then sold.  Pics must have been taken just after it changed hands.  There was no mention of a motor knock with the prior seller.  The interior is original and looked quite good in the prior seller's pictures.   The body and paint have plenty of "patina".  It appeared to have been well sorted mechanically when Dragone had it.   If the knock is not serious, could be a great driver.  I would not touch the cosmetics nor would it be financially prudent to do so.  This was the lowest priced 1933 Nash, selling for only about 75.00 more than a 1933 Ford sedan.  1932-33 was the high point for Nash (and about every other brand as well) styling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Here it was 3-4 years ago when it was for sale then.  I didn't note the month/year.  Nash folks could answer if the postwar L-head six was a version of this engine. 

'33 Nash six NY a.jpg

Florida plates now but NY plates in this picture…

9 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Who knows, does this Big 6 Nash ride on the same wheelbase as the Ambassador model with the straight 8?

Al

Al:

"Big 6" was mostly an advertising promotional term. The Series 1120 Big Six was the smallest entry-level 1933 Nash: 217.8 ci L-head six, 75hp., 116" wb, $695-$845, the only six-cylinder model Nash offered.  The pecking order was as follows:

Ambassador Eight, Series 1190; 322.0 ci OHV straight eight, 125hp, 133" & 142" wb; $1,545-$2,055

Advanced Eight, Series 1180, 260.8 ci OHV straight eight, 100hp, 128" wb, $1,275-$1,575.

Special Eight, Series 1170, 247.4 ci L-head straight eight, 85hp, 121" wb, $965-$1,095.

Standard Eight, Series 1130, 247.4 ci L-head straight eight, 80hp, $830-$945.

Big Six Series 1120, 217.8 ci L-head six, 75hp., 116" wb, $695-$845.

Quite a selection of models, sizes, engines and prices to generate a calendar production of 14,973.  For context, Nash produced 116,622 cars for 1929, such was the effect of the Depression. 

Source: The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, edited by B. R. Kimes and H. A. Clark.

Steve