Check out the frame off restored Blue/Blue 65 Gran Sport on BAT!

cjp69

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Dundee said:

Worthy to go over 100k….?

Is that the right site to get it though??

Yes and Hopefully (for the owner) Yes.  They have done it twice before, and IMO this car is nicer than either of those. 

$121k for this one:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-buick-gran-sport-4/

$114k for this one:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-buick-riviera-57/

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, drhach said:

As I watch values on these cars climb, it becomes more and more evident that I will never own one. 

Price still depends on condition and/or originality. I did well to buy solid fixer-uppers to work on over the years. Happy hunting

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

Price still depends on condition and/or originality. I did well to buy solid fixer-uppers to work on over the years. Happy hunting

Steve,

We’re in Lexington. Linda, and John and Carolyn are wondering why you’re not here as well? 🙁

Ed

The big auctions continue to produce big numbers on these cars.

The engine rebuilder added hardened valve seats!! Ouch. Probably zero Nailhead experience. Totally unnecessary process plus milling for seats comes so close to the water jacket.

We have seen so many repeated scenarios where 65 GS's going across big auction block have multiple condition and authenticity issues yet the deep pocketed buyers could care less. The fool was I to be so anal authentically restoring the 66GS 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

The fool was I to be so anal authentically restoring the 66GS 

Had you not have been, we would never have seen the detail with which it was restored.  At the meet n Harrisburg (Hershey), Jason displayed the chassis for his 66.  Only with a display like he had could you see the VIN number stamped into the frame; part numbers on mufflers.  Multi-colored brake hardware.  I’ve never seen anything like it and probably never will again.  In my humble opinion, the best display ever at an ROA meet.  I’ll have to search for some pictures.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2024 at 7:19 AM, JZRIV said:

The engine rebuilder added hardened valve seats!! Ouch. Probably zero Nailhead experience. Totally unnecessary process plus milling for seats comes so close to the water jacket.

We have seen so many repeated scenarios where 65 GS's going across big auction block have multiple condition and authenticity issues yet the deep pocketed buyers could care less.

Jason, up until recently, I thought exhaust seat inserts failed during installation or manifest itself during first start-up. If the installation was a failure, what are the symptoms during operation? Water jacket leak, huh?

Tearing back into my Nailhead's top-end is not what I'd do for kicks. Too many other issues on the list.

Recently, expert Tom T. commented how they'll eventually leak. So, a symptom that is barely noticeable that becomes noticeable as the installation deteriorates. Correct?

Hardened valve seat inserts and 1964 - 65 driveshaft vibration would be good to have articled in the Riview. Someone chimed in on the latter and seemed to have the issue pin-pointed. No one concurred with his findings on drive shaft vibration which is an acute symptom.

As for that auctioned Riviera GS, no mistake restoring one as long as it has those two letters GS. There's someone out there willing to pay for it.