So I got invited to an invite only gathering

This guy comes over to the Pierce Arrow at a cars and coffee and invites me to this private thing at his place.

He says there will probably be some fire apparatus there.

Turns out I had the only car there.

I would say about thirty fire trucks, some of them were very cool.

IMG_20240601_093322161.jpg

IMG_20240601_093435816_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240601_093349000.jpg

IMG_20240601_093357435_HDR.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The one picture of the girl sitting at the wheel.

She was telling us about how her grandfather had it and sold it when she was little.

It seemed to have disappeared.

Many years later following a week tip she found it not to far from her home.

She was able to buy it and get it running.

You can see the delight on her face as she had just fired it up.

It was a very loud and nasty sounding beast, and she obviously loved it and fit it her well.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 13

Posted (edited)

I wonder if you got invited because you have a single-plug (ignition) version of the Seagrave 8 engine in your car?!  Seagrave bought the engine tooling for Pierce 8s and 12s when Pierce was liquidated in May 1938, and continued producing the 8s through about 1958 and the 12s through about 1970, albeit with dual ignition added.  While Pierce was still in business (so I understand), Seagrave bought the individually machined--but not assembled-- engines from Pierce so they could deny they bought finished engines elsewhere.  Seagrave also bumped the V-12 cid from 462 to 531.

In the early 1970s Pierce guys were buying brass (not steel) water jacket plates from Seagrave--a Seagrave improvement over the original.

Edited by Grimy
corrected one word (see edit history)
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Grimy said:

I wonder if you got invited because you have a single-valve version of the Seagrave 8 engine in your car?! 

My first thought as well. Single spark plug on each cylinder and only one distributor on those car V12s.

2 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

My first thought as well. Single spark plug on each cylinder and only one distributor on those car V12s.

My mistake--single PLUG was my intention, not single valve.  I'll edit--thanks, Bernie.

On 6/6/2024 at 5:09 PM, keiser31 said:

I love the "original" paper clip holding the bezel on the 1916 ALF headlight!

You spent to much time looking at the thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/6/2024 at 9:08 PM, Studemax said:

Lots of blurry pix of your finger, too. :)

It must have been the phones fault.  😂

• Haha 2

The Portland chapter of HCCA were also invited and from one of its members posts, there were other cars there. Here are a couple of links to more photos on Facebook;

Facebook

Facebook

They must have shown up later in the day.

I got there at about nine and only stayed for a couple of hours. It was scheduled for two days, so they may have showed up on Sunday.

Fun stuff.

That show was near Aroura, so a fairly easy bunch of two-lane roads for me to get there.

12 minutes ago, Mark Gregush said:

The Portland chapter of HCCA were also invited and from one of its members posts, there were other cars there. Here are a couple of links to more photos on Facebook;

Facebook

Facebook

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Monthly cruise night in Lexington NC last Tuesday and this 1938 ford was there. It was perched new by the city. It is owned by a local fireman now. It was in service locally into the late 70s IMG_4287.jpeg.6ffb867262ad098e45c15073516c83e8.jpeg

Edited by JohnS25 (see edit history)
  • Like 4