Turn signals on a 1941 Chrysler royal coupe

Can anyone tell me why some 1941 Chrysler royal coupe have turning signals on top of their fenders and others don't. And more importantly,  does it mean they are more rare than the ones without the turning signals in the fender?

iMarkup_20240428_125256.jpg

• Like 1

In 1941, it is highly doubtful they are turn signals. The first factory turn signals on the front of the car were on 1940 Buicks. It took years before the rest of the industry did it. I think it happened in the early 50s.

They are probably parking lights. I don't know why some would have it and some not. in 1941 it was probably still required to leave them on all night in some jurisdictions (yes, really). In the mid to late 30s fender top parking lights were optional on some cars, but the ones without generally had a tiny parking light bulb hidden inside the headlight. By 1941 that approach would have been impossible, because 1941 (and most 1940) American cars had sealed beam headlights, and they are... sealed. They couldn't just stuff a tiny parking light bulb inside the headlight anymore.

Are you sure they built some without?

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

In 1941, it is highly doubtful they are turn signals. The first factory turn signals on the front of the car were on 1940 Buicks. It took years before the rest of the industry did it. I think it happened in the early 50s.

They are probably parking lights. I don't know why some would have it and some not. in 1941 it was probably still required to leave them on all night in some jurisdictions (yes, really). In the mid to late 30s fender top parking lights were optional on some cars, but the ones without generally had a tiny parking light bulb hidden inside the headlight. By 1941 that approach would have been impossible, because 1941 (and most 1940) American cars had sealed beam headlights, and they are... sealed. They couldn't just stuff a tiny parking light bulb inside the headlight anymore.

Are you sure they built some without?

Well, Me and my boyfriend looked all night long at pictures on the internet and saw very few that had them at the top

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bloo said:

I believe Studebaker first offered turn signals as an accessory in 1941.

Craig

• Like 1

Both Buick and Cadillac had turn signals as standard equipment beginning in 1940. I don't know about Buick but Cadillac 's were self canceling like today's.  I believe they were made federally mandatory for 1953, earlier in some states. A lot of cars were fitted with aftermarket signals that employed existing brake lights and add on front lights, parking light,  or modified pRk lights with 2 filament sockets. 

1 hour ago, Jim Skelly said:

I would not bet the farm on it, but I believe this article is off by a year.    I have been a BUICK  guy as long as I have been a car guy.    First one I can remember was a 1932 Dad drove to Arkansas from California in 1942.   Then another 1932 in about 1946.   In 1949 came a 1938 Special, Mod 41.  This had no turn signals. The next one a couple years later was a 1939 which did have turn signals.  On the Back only.  Operated from a switch on the first Buick column shifter lever. My 1940, MY first Buick, in 1953, had turn signals,  As did all Buicks I had afterwards.  UNTIL  my 1950 I now have.   It was a signal delete.

Ben

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

In Minnesota turn signals were not mandatory until 7-1-49

I believe it became Federal law January 1, 1956.

Craig