For Sale: 1941 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan, 63K miles - $9,500 - Potomac, MD - Not Mine - SOLD!!!

For Sale: 1941 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan, 63K miles - $9,500 - Potomac, MD - SOLD!!!

1941 Buick Super for sale by owner - Potomac, MD - craigslist
Seller's Description:

For sale: 1941 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan, 248 ci engine, dual carburetors, 63,000 miles, 6-volt system. I bought this car in 2006 and have put several thousand miles on it in that time. The previous owner had owned it since 1977, so only two owners in about 50 years! I have really enjoyed this car but have several other old Buicks and have run out of space (and time) to keep this one.
The car was semi-restored around 1980 and was repainted the correct colors (Lancaster Grey and Silver French Grey but not the correct metallic). The paint has held up fairly well but with the nicks and dings you can expect with 40-plus years. The left rear fender has some minor dents and touch up paint and the right fender has some paint cracks but otherwise it is fairly presentable. The chrome is really nice, not quite show quality but still pretty. I would guess it was re-chromed around the time it was repainted. Whoever had the work done did not go the extra step to paint in the black details around the hood ornament and the hood louvers (where it says Super). The chrome spears on the fenders do have some pitting so they are probably original chrome, but the rest of the chrome is nice.
I believe the interior is original, but the front seat has seen better days as it started ripping at the driver’s seat about ten years ago. There are various stains and pin holes as you might expect from 83-year-old fabric. When the car was painted back in 1980, the dash was painted body color rather than the proper woodgraining. The metal turned parts of the dash are presentable but not perfect.
The radio (regular Sonomatic) works fine and the lights and all the gauges work, although the ammeter seems to have started to be hit or miss so I think there is a loose electrical connection in the dash. I replaced the temperature gauge about ten years ago and while not the worst job I have ever done, taking the dash apart again is something I prefer to leave to the new owner. The clock does not work.
It has sat/been ignored more than it should have in the last few years so it could use some basic maintenance such as changing fluids and replace some seals/gaskets. The oil pan gasket in particular needs to be replaced as it has started to drip from there. I have a new gasket for it already, it is not a terrible job to replace it, but at this point I would rather leave it up to the new owner as I am knee deep into putting a 1934 Buick back together already. As with any old car, there are probably some other issues you will find along the way but that is all I can think of right now.
As far as rust, except for a small area, it is pretty minimal as this appears to have been a well taken care of car. There is one area in particular that is pretty bad but you would be unlikely to ever notice unless I told you. Not sure why, but the flat bottom of the left rear door is pretty rusty and has several holes. The only way to see it is to be lying down and looking up at it.
Overall, a nice reliable old car needing a little TLC that you can have fun with and take to cars and coffee and local shows. Pre-war Buicks of this era can easily keep up with modern traffic, are a pleasure to drive, relatively easy to work on and have lots of parts support. This is already a pretty wordy and overly long ad so I can provide a list of the major work I have done to the car and also a list of what I know to still be incorrect. I can also provide a lot more pictures and any details you might need.
As a side note, the previous long-time owner is a very famous actor. I don’t think that adds a lot of value to the car particularly since you are now buying it from me (who is very unfamous) but it does make for an interesting story.
Copy and paste in your email: 0e09d1179c883c749bc8c37fcee09505@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1941 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan.

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD o.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD n.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD a.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD b.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD c.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD d.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD e.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD f.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD g.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD h.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD i.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD j.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD k.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD l.jpg

'41 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan MD m.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
SOLD!!! (see edit history)
  • Like 5

That's an awful lot of car for $9500.  But on the flip side once bought the new owner is taking on a project.  It could very well be a nice driver once the car mechanicals have inspected and the proper maintenance is done.  I like the compound carburetion and the two tone paint.  To quote EmTee it could be a Super Super!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

That's a long ad but after reading I believe the seller to be someone a buyer could trust. It's also also a car that could be purchased and driven for a long time and enjoyed. Tough to beat these Buicks for a cross country trip. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Hi, this is my car, planned to post it on here but didnt get around to it yet.  Long time member here but infrequent poster.  Definitely a wordy ad but that is actually the edited down version!  I bought the car when I was single, enjoyed it for years, but now have kids and five vehicles 1955 and older.  One of the cars needs to go as I have run out of space and time and have a 1934 Buick currently in pieces and need room to work.  As mentioned in the ad, I have driven this car over 3,000 miles but most of that was pre-2019.  I put a lot of time, energy and money into it after I bought it in 2006, but the last five years I have averaged about 50 miles a year and deferred too much maintenance and it deserves better.  It runs pretty well but does need some attention, most of which could probably be addressed by a competent mechanic in a weekend or two.  I believe the wiring harness was replaced at some point by the prior owner as it doesnt look 83 years old.  The voltage regulator is definitely newer. I can provide a lot more photos and info if anyone is interested.  Andrew_Latvia, I replied to your e-mail via Craigslist but let me know if you didnt receive it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, oldbuicks55 said:

Hi, this is my car, planned to post it on here but didnt get around to it yet.  Long time member here but infrequent poster.  Definitely a wordy ad but that is actually the edited down version!  I bought the car when I was single, enjoyed it for years, but now have kids and five vehicles 1955 and older.  One of the cars needs to go as I have run out of space and time and have a 1934 Buick currently in pieces and need room to work.  As mentioned in the ad, I have driven this car over 3,000 miles but most of that was pre-2019.  I put a lot of time, energy and money into it after I bought it in 2006, but the last five years I have averaged about 50 miles a year and deferred too much maintenance and it deserves better.  It runs pretty well but does need some attention, most of which could probably be addressed by a competent mechanic in a weekend or two.  I believe the wiring harness was replaced at some point by the prior owner as it doesnt look 83 years old.  The voltage regulator is definitely newer. I can provide a lot more photos and info if anyone is interested.  Andrew_Latvia, I replied to your e-mail via Craigslist but let me know if you didnt receive it.

Thank you, I've received your e-mail and replied.

As the owner of a '41 Super, I have to say that this looks like a very nice car at a very fair price.  I compliment @oldbuicks55 for providing such a thorough and honest description of the vehicle, warts and all.  I think this would be a great buy for someone who wants to get into the hobby for not too much money and has the skills to do the kinds of jobs mentioned by the seller.  The paint and chrome still look very sharp, and these are very reliable and comfortable cars once they are sorted mechanically.  I hope it finds a good home!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The car is sold. I've bought it. :) Thanks to all members posting in "not mine for sale" chapter of this forum, especially I would like to thank Steve @58L-Y8 for spotting and posting this car.
So far it was easy - thanks to @oldbuicks55 for patiently answering all the questions I've asked and for providing a HUGE quantity of additional photos and videos. Now it's the most complicated (and nervous) part - shipping to Latvia, going through customs and registration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Andrew_Latvia said:

The car is sold. I've bought it. :) Thanks to all members posting in "not mine for sale" chapter of this forum, especially I would like to thank Steve @58L-Y8 for spotting and posting this car.
So far it was easy - thanks to @oldbuicks55 for patiently answering all the questions I've asked and for providing a HUGE quantity of additional photos and videos. Now it's the most complicated (and nervous) part - shipping to Latvia, going through customs and registration.

Andrew, that is half the fun when you buy sight unseen and get it shipped overseas. Hopefully your county’s regulations don’t require too many changes.

And please, make sure you start a post under “Me and My Buick” in the Buick forum. We speak fluent Buickese and have lots of knowledge and bravado!

cheers Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrew_Latvia said:

Andrew:

You are welcome! I'm so glad you were able to buy this 1941 Buick, it looks to be in wonderful condition.  Best wishes for you to have many enjoyable experiences with this fine car.  It gratifying to know when one of the cars we post here finds its next appreciative conservator. 

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1941 Buick Super Series 51 4dr sedan, 63K miles - $9,500 - Potomac, MD - Not Mine - SOLD!!!
Posted (edited)

Andrew, CONGRATULATIONS!  That's a nice Buick.  May you many miles of enjoyment with it!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Andrew, that is half the fun when you buy sight unseen and get it shipped overseas. Hopefully your county’s regulations don’t require too many changes.

And please, make sure you start a post under “Me and My Buick” in the Buick forum. We speak fluent Buickese and have lots of knowledge and bravado!

cheers Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Thanks! When I'll got the car, I will post about "me and my Buick". Thankfully there are no modifications required to register and drive the car - it goes under Historic Vehicle.

• Haha 1

Congratulations on a fantastic car.  The 41s are great.  With compound carburetion, it’s important to occasionally (at least) put your foot down to open the second carb.  Too often people baby the cars and the second carb never gets used and consequently gets gummed up from sitting.  

• Like 1

Yay!  Congratulations, Andrew.  I know you have been looking for a while and I think you made an excellent choice!  Please feel free to contact me any time with any questions you have once you get the car home.  You are really going to turn a lot of heads in Latvia, that's for sure!

3 hours ago, neil morse said:

Yay!  Congratulations, Andrew.  I know you have been looking for a while and I think you made an excellent choice!  Please feel free to contact me any time with any questions you have once you get the car home.  You are really going to turn a lot of heads in Latvia, that's for sure!

Thank you, Neil, for your kind offer! 
It sure will turn heads - as far as I know, this gonna be the first '41 Buick in Latvia.