Mystery Plymouth

This car is located at the Rollins Auto Wreckers in Parkland, a city near Tacoma, Washington.

I was attracted to the car because it was filled, with seat springs, and one measured the 37” I needed for my Fargo truck project.

A week ago a friend and I returned to the wrecking yard to retrieve the seat springs, and I had a bit of, nice weather time to take a closer look at the mechanics of the car.

The 1929 Fargo Express Panel Delivery is little more than a rolling chassis and I knew that I would have to replace everything, which is missing, from the gas pedal to the starter switch.

Of course, this was further complicated when I replaced the original 1929, six cylinder engine with a 1951 Dodge pickup engine.

This car is very interesting because it has a radio in the dash, a three on the tree transmission shift lever, the same gas pedal and  manual starter switch as the 1951 engine, and it appears the couplings on the driveshaft which connect the rear ended and the transmission are the same as those on both the Dodge transmission and the Fargo rear end.

I think the car is a mid 30’s, possibly a 1938 or 1939 Plymouth, but a couple weeks of internet search has failed to prove this.

What is it?

Jack

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2133.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

Confirming again, 39 Plymouth.  The square headlights are a giveaway.

Yep, specifically a P8 Deluxe 4-Door Touring Sedan.  The trunk bulge makes it a Touring Sedan and the cheaper P7 Road King doesn't have the vent wings in the front doors.

The 39 is a popular model with Plymouth collectors - looks like there could be some salvageable parts there.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 1