Adding cutting oil to water for coolant

6 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

As I look at ways to counter crap gas boiling I am adding an electric fuel pump, carb heat shield and may want to move off 50/50 mix from the sounds of it.  A 10% improvement would be great.  Before moving to straight water though I wonder about the value of a 25/75 ratio? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

If your cooling system is thermostat controlled the engine temperature won't change noticeably unless the cooling is marginal. If it is marginal though, you would gain a little headroom. Weaker solutions of Ethylene Glycol do transfer heat better than 50/50, and still provide better freeze protection than water. I've not gone down that path yet with any car. It gets both really hot and really cold where I live. Personally I would be looking for a way to make 50/50 work, but my decisions are heavily influenced by my local climate.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@Bloo the local climate is a consideration as well.  I have been lucky to have had two Model A Fords that never overheat no matter what.  I keep at a 50/50 mix and don't need to worry about seasonality.

The Packard doesn't overheat either but is definately susceptible to the fuel boil condition after a long run and then stop/go.  The heat shield and elec fuel pump will be steps one and two though.  I figure that should get me there as it seems to be the common approach.  But will keep this in mind as well.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I run about 70/30 purified water/anti-freeze plus the requisite amount of No-Rosion in all my old cars. 70/30 gives protection down to about 7 degrees, which is plenty for our region (Cleveland, believe it or not). In my Lincoln, I figured it would run notably warmer with anti-freeze in there compared to straight water, but nope, same temperature. That didn't make sense other than to suggest that the system has excess capacity and is limited by airflow, not coolant type or other factors. It runs exactly 100 degrees above ambient, so I can live with that.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

That didn't make sense other than to suggest that the system has excess capacity and is limited by airflow

That's very possible, and extremely common!  Rarely mentioned in cooling system threads on the web.....

It all starts with airflow. If you don't have enough of that, everything else is window dressing.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

On 4/6/2024 at 6:52 PM, Matt Harwood said:

If you just want to run water, you should add this instead of cutting oil:

No-Rosion Cooling System Corrosion Inhibitor

In fact, whatever you're running, this stuff is fantastic. We recently brought a 1930 Marmon out of hibernation after about seven years and the owner was fanatical about using this stuff. After draining the radiator, it was squeaky clean inside. I'm a believer--it's in all my old cars.

Where can I buy this stuff? I looked on the internet but no luck.Thanks.Greg