1969 Pontiac Tempest Sprint

Taking a break from Buicks...This one caught my eyeballs!  I joined the OHC Club a couple years ago 

and started looking for an interesting example.  That means to me 1) Sprint 2) 3-speed, 3) running or close to it 4) affordable :)

So this checked all boxes for me.  PHS docs say it has 2 options- Sprint package (OHC 6, Quadrajet, Shocks and upgraded sway bar, stripes) and an AM radio.  None of this PS, PB, stuff to weigh it down.  Standard bench seat with cloth/vinyl, rubber floor covering...

There is some rust but not bad.  The rubber floor made the driver's floor pan rust away, but the rest is OK.  Trunk floor is solid and not a sign of any rust there.  Paint is mostly original.  Interior was covered with aftermarket covers and the material underneath will serve the first phase of my ownership. 

My plan is to fix the engine up- it started and would have been great but it has a manifold leak and a bad fuel pump.  Parts are on the way!   First pic- the ad, 2nd is at new home, 3rd -OHC Sprint 6!

425369394_10224887545839534_1245525749907281901_n.jpg

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

Edited by Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel
correct (see edit history)
  • Like 10

Very Nice. Im glad your keeping the cammer in. 99% would have made that into a Judge!!

Carb looks great. When the guy rebuilt my motor he said he wasnt going to shine up the carb any. He is a racer at heart and he is about going and not showing. IF the part is rebuilt correctly and runs perfect he is happy, doesnt care what it looks like. The fortunate part is that my carb will hardly ever be seen once the ac is on, but still a bit of dissapointment. Yours looks so much nicer.

• Like 2

I’ve always thought this engine was cool. A high school classmate got a new 69 firebird with one. That 17 year-old loved it!

• Like 1

Ted,

Welcome to the Cammer world!

I have always thought these were interesting and cool engines.

My current project is a 1933 Pontiac sport coupe - with a 1966 OHC-6.

Enjoy your Sprint!

Joe

PXL_20230324_205616999.jpg

Edited by 95Cardinal
removed sentence (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I'm jealous of your Tempest, Ted. Seriously. My brother had a two door '68 or 9 Tempest back when we were young. (8 cyl.) I've thought of it often over the years. It was probably in the same general condition as your car. Great styling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was interesting- I'm used to Buicks and have not seen one of these clutch Z-bar linkages before.  The holes were worn out and new ones ez to find.

Not as weird as my 65 GS or 65 Wildcat forks (cast iron) but very different from the 400/455 style in the Buick.

IMG_0912.JPEG

s-l960 (1).jpg

• Like 2