Buick 1940 gas tank problem

Today i poured gas into the tank and the gas came back out when i poured to fast .I would be afraid to go to a gas station and fill it up without going very slow .I looked at new gas tanks from same year and i don't see anything that lets the air escape when you pour in gas .Like on Mercedes cars from the sixties there is a tube on top of the tank that let the air escape .Down here the air has to come out via the same pipe that you put the gas in and then you spill the gas together with the escaping air .....

1 hour ago, Morgan Wright said:

My '40 had no air outlet. 

Thanks for letting me know ! I guess you have to be very carefull when you go to the gas station .All the pictures i find on the net do not show that fine pipe like on the 1941 from previous post .

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

The tank should have an air outlet.  This is the tank from my '41.  Maybe it's clogged on your tank.

new_tank2.jpg.27b1c70892971453d41e969c8e0e4c35.jpg

new_tank4.jpg.35b5b5e7177d921f1ec1318ab167e987.jpg

Mine does not have that fine pipe and there is a rubber hose between the neck and the tank .

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

The tank should have an air outlet.  This is the tank from my '41.  Maybe it's clogged on your tank.

new_tank2.jpg.27b1c70892971453d41e969c8e0e4c35.jpg

new_tank4.jpg.35b5b5e7177d921f1ec1318ab167e987.jpg

Mine is not the same and here you have a tank and neck in one piece .Mine has a rubber hose to connect both parts like in the Buick catalog

My ‘50 Super has an air outlet.  My ‘40 Century and ‘40 Special do not have air outlets.  When i am at the gas station, I fill them all up on max flow.  Maybe the neck of the can you are using is too big.  When I use a can to fill my lawn tractor, I use a funnel that has a small neck, forcing me to go slow.  Slowing it down should control any problem.

My 1934 and 1936 Pierces have a vent (hose) extending from the upper vertical side of the tank into the filler neck.  That is, the tank vents into the filler neck rather than directly into the atmosphere.  This is a problem because today's emissions-preventing fuel nozzles create a seal where the nozzle enters the filler neck.  Accordingly, when fueling I have to use two fingers on one hand to compress the spring making the seal (to trick it into thinking there is a seal) while the other hand squeezes the nozzle.  Even then, I have to fill more slowly than on other cars.

If you use emissions-preventing fuel nozzles, ensure there is an air gap between the nozzle and the inside diameter of the filler neck.

Edited by Grimy
added last sentence for clarity, removed one word (see edit history)
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Grimy said:

If you not use emissions-preventing fuel nozzles, ensure there is an air gap between the nozzle and the inside diameter of the filler neck.

Maybe try putting a short piece of heater hose between the bellows on the pump nozzle and the fender to allow air to escape from the tank.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 7:54 AM, EmTee said:

Maybe try putting a short piece of heater hose between the bellows on the pump nozzle and the fender to allow air to escape from the tank.

The darn fuel pump neck is supposed to seal around the lip of the filling point to capture vapors.  I know the filler neck on pumps in CA are particularly touchy, other pumps elsewhere possibly less so.

1 minute ago, kgreen said:

The darn fuel pump neck is supposed to seal around the lip of the filling point to capture vapors.  I know the filler neck on pumps in CA are particularly touchy, other pumps elsewhere possibly less so.

That's fine if the tank has a top vent. On the cars I described, there's nowhere for the displaced air to go if the nozzle's seal is perfect.

Just now, Grimy said:

That's fine if the tank has a top vent. On the cars I described, there's nowhere for the displaced air to go if the nozzle's seal is perfect.

exactly

• Like 1

Is the fuel cap vented on these cars without a tank vent? Seems like something would have to operate as a vacuum break.

Fuel flowing through a hose that is not designed as fuel filler hose can have static electricity problems.

Those two concerns would lead me to believe something is wrong and you really need to look deeper into it.

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Is the fuel cap vented on these cars without a tank vent? Seems like something would have to operate as a vacuum break.

Fuel flowing through a hose that is not designed as fuel filler hose can have static electricity problems.

Those two concerns would lead me to believe something is wrong and you really need to look deeper into it.

Bernie, you've been working too much on modern iron of late.  I can't speak for 1940 Buicks, but all Pierces have vented caps--except those with pressurized fuel tanks, of course.  I'm always careful to specify large diameter *fuel* hose when hose is needed to connect a filler neck to a tank, TYVM.

• Haha 1