UPDATE "SOLD" House With 300 Classic Cars

The Full Story of That House With 300 Classic Cars Is a Sad One

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/the-full-story-of-that-house-with-300-classic-cars-is-a-sad-one/ar-BB1kvTXs?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a041abad18ef421fa55f86c28e8d7f1b&ei=58

"...cars are pretty much all parts cars, meaning there are few to no restorables among them. He also said the count was probably closer to 500 cars than 300. At his peak, he may have accumulated as many as 1,200 cars"

The property was sold this past weekend. Someone out there has just bought up the motherlode of vintage American car parts, and it might take them years to work out what they've bought. 

Now comes the fun part when the EPA forces the new owner to mitigate all of the environmental issues at the property.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zepher said:

Now comes the fun part when the EPA forces the new owner to mitigate all of the environmental issues at the property.

According to the article and the deceased owner's brother:

"My brother had a girlfriend at one point, and she announced to him that if anything ever happened to him, the day after he was gone, she would crush every car. Well, he threw her out the next day. And she turned him into the EPA, and the EPA actually came out there and inspected the property and did not find anything. As my brother said, 'they've never seen oil in 50 years.'"

• Like 1

Doesn't mean that hydrocarbons haven't already leeched into the soil.

If that was in Calif there is no way the EPA would just let this one go.

54 minutes ago, zepher said:

Doesn't mean that hydrocarbons haven't already leeched into the soil.

If that was in Calif there is no way the EPA would just let this one go.

And your point is?

Apparently, someone is now the new happy owner of such land!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Studemax said:

And your point is?

I doubt the new owner is as scott free as some are saying.

The EPA is always looking for ways to punish people and they go out of their way to do so.

And, may I ask what the point was of your retort? 

On 3/25/2024 at 7:54 PM, Reynard said:

According to the article and the deceased owner's brother:

"My brother had a girlfriend at one point, and she announced to him that if anything ever happened to him, the day after he was gone, she would crush every car. Well, he threw her out the next day. And she turned him into the EPA, and the EPA actually came out there and inspected the property and did not find anything. As my brother said, 'they've never seen oil in 50 years.'"

The EPA very rarely targets residential and farm property.  Commercial and Industrial zoned property are their prime concerns.

Craig

4 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

The EPA very rarely targets residential and farm property.  Commercial and Industrial zoned property are their prime concerns.

Craig

And don't forget the site is in NH not CA.

• Like 1

With the original owner's quip to his brother that the cars hadn't had oil in them for years and knowing how resourceful a lot of the owners of these old yards are it would not surprise me to learn that he used the oil from the cars as they came in for heating and the gas for running who knows what around the property.  Maybe there really is nothing to see here.

• Like 4

This is a very sad story.

It appears that the man had the ability to buy, pay tax on, and keep the authorities away from his property for several years.

Being reclusive isn’t a crime, and if his only offense is collecting junk cars, so be it.

For some of us this is a chosen life style, and very often old cars are, by far, better friends than any self serving human.
It also appears that he did not open up a guest ranch for wayward criminals, or steal cars to put on his property.

I wonder what the people who read this, and close the article in disgust, after they passed judgment on this man, will do in their spare time to appear normal. 

Jack

Jack

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

This is a very sad story.

It appears that the man had the ability to buy, pay tax on, and keep the authorities away from his property for several years.

Being reclusive isn’t a crime, and if his only offense is collecting junk cars, so be it.

For some of us this is a chosen life style, and very often old cars are, by far, better friends than any self serving human.
It also appears that he did not open up a guest ranch for wayward criminals, or steal cars to put on his property.

I wonder what the people who read this, and close the article in disgust, after they passed judgment on this man, will do in their spare time to appear normal. 

Jack

Jack

THANKYOU, JACK.

His property, his chosen "hobby" with his money!!  What's not to LIKE?   More of us should be that way, me thinks.

Ben

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

THANKYOU, JACK.

His property, his chosen "hobby" with his money!!  What's not to LIKE?   More of us should be that way, me thinks.

Ben

I feel the same but am subject to the regulations regarding my property by my town's management (mayor and town council). 

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

THANKYOU, JACK.

Ben

HI Ben…….Since my 2nd retirement, the death of my daughter and then my wife, and having my world reduced to myself and my dog, this forum has gained a level of importance gathering at the family supper table once had.

That said, I will move on after adding that I must watch how far I wander off topic, because doing so could put me off the forum also.

Looking back, I sometime think I too should have chosen a different path in my life, and put more energy and effort into pleasing myself and paid far less attention to tending the needs of others.

Either this fellow was successful, in the financial arena anyway, because the property alone was worth a good sum, and, as evidenced by his downfall, being his girlfriend, he apparently had a side social life also.

And, it would not take a Mister Geppetto to tell when a Pinocchio car collector said “No……..I don’t need another car, and I think I have too many already”………….

Jack

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dship said:

I feel the same but am subject to the regulations regarding my property by my town's management (mayor and town council). 

Hi dship……But, do you ever wonder if one morning you woke up, poured a hot cup of coffee, and decided that it was time to say “Phooey with the rules, regulations, town council, and the judgmental opinions of others”, what you would choose to do?

Factually, we have one go around in life, and  I have a special sort of admiration for the fellow who has the testicular fortitude to cut the cords to all the naysayers and antagonists, and live the way he chose..

Not meaning that we need to form a commune or go into seclusion, but I, personally, am saddened that a country which advertises itself as being “free” would frown upon, make laws against, and pass its judgement on any person who was not considered to be Presidential material or chanting some anti-this, or anti-that slogan at some riot or protest.

Just saying……

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 5:36 PM, zepher said:

That is, unless the new owner is an inside trader, high on the list of EPA managers, who sees a fortune to be made by advertising the classic car parts for sale on Craigslist, or eBay as being “rare”, “antique”. “Collectible” and “priceless” artifacts, and developing the land into a affordable, multi-family dwelling, community.

Jack

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Does not look like he was any where near a town

Ben

To save my life I cannot understand why he would be considered a recluse when he was out and about enough to acquire between 300 and 500 cars. They mention that he had customers, to name one, the guy offering $7000.00 for the car. And the story leaves it to be supposed that he owned the place, and that is some accomplishment for a hermit.

Jack