Looking to improve my Radio/Sound (64 Riviera)

atencioee

I want to upgrade the components inside my radio / sound system, such as adding a working AM/FM radio, auxiliary port, possibly Bluetooth and USB, and overall better sound while I keeping my original radio to maintain the original look. I'd like to be able to control those new components with the old knobs slash push buttons of the original radio.

Also, I don't know whether I can restore the speakers with equipment to handle the wattage of a new system or if there are modern speakers that look like the old speakers.

I'm also wondering what this thing (pictured) is and how it functions with the original stock radio and if is needed for the upgraded components or should be bypassed? If bypassed, is an amplifier needed for a upgraded system?

Also, how would upgrading the sound system impact the battery, alternator, and fuse? Would I need to make modifications to those? 

Any guidance, recommendations, businesses that do this, or helpful info would be much appreciated. 

Gene (from Colorado)

IMG_20240317_135906821.jpg

IMG_20240317_140117224.jpg

Check www.tech-retro.com  Aurora Designs.  Several options, plus a "Find a Dealer" that might be near you.  The original person I heard of was Gary Tayman, who happens to be in the FL area.

NTX5467

• Like 1

Greetings atencioee!  Regarding NTX's mention of Gary Tayman, check out my entry on the current "63 64 64 Stereo Thread" above.                 Sorry I can't find his card but he should be easy to find, possibly on Aurora Design's dealer list. While there is probably a dealer closer to you, I highly recommend Gary for his excellent customer service & extensive info over the phone. He knows exactly what your Riviera needs. Also he keeps sending me $25 discount texts which I never need, since I'm all fixed up already. You might ask him if you can use them towards your purchase in exchange for my glowing recommendation. Will be happy to give permission if needed.   good luck.    Drew

• Like 2

17 hours ago, atencioee said:

I want to upgrade the components inside my radio / sound system, such as adding a working AM/FM radio, auxiliary port, possibly Bluetooth and USB, and overall better sound while I keeping my original radio to maintain the original look. I'd like to be able to control those new components with the old knobs slash push buttons of the original radio.

Also, I don't know whether I can restore the speakers with equipment to handle the wattage of a new system or if there are modern speakers that look like the old speakers.

I'm also wondering what this thing (pictured) is and how it functions with the original stock radio and if is needed for the upgraded components or should be bypassed? If bypassed, is an amplifier needed for a upgraded system?

Also, how would upgrading the sound system impact the battery, alternator, and fuse? Would I need to make modifications to those? 

Any guidance, recommendations, businesses that do this, or helpful info would be much appreciated. 

Gene (from Colorado)

IMG_20240317_135906821.jpg

IMG_20240317_140117224.jpg

Looks like your window channel run is leaking

If it is, I would make that a priority over a sound system

Tip: if you're one that likes washing your car frequently (I'm not), use Painters Tape around the whole rear window, sail panel and upper door brightwork while washing. Use compressed air to get water out from behind all that trim immediately. The water just sits in those areas.  Water is like acid on old cars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we send the radios to electro tech, they install high performance high power guts, signal seeking, stereo and blue tooth. The radio remains in its absolutely stock dress. Then we replace the front and rear speakers with perfect fit 3 way high power. The result is fantastic

2 hours ago, dr914 said:

we send the radios to electro tech, they install high performance high power guts, signal seeking, stereo and blue tooth. The radio remains in its absolutely stock dress. Then we replace the front and rear speakers with perfect fit 3 way high power. The result is fantastic

Electro-tech has a new website https://www.smelectrotech.com/

If I remember correctly, I read that one of the principals at Turn Switch died and the company was reorganized.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't care what anyone says you’ll suffer drop off with Bluetooth. If you are going to refit your cabin with good audio gear wire everything. If you can hear bluetooth better get your hearing checked.

I liked the 45 RPM car record players. The tone arm in the record player was mounted upside down when compared to conventional tone arm mounting. The sound was not good but it beat AM radio.