1953 MG TD, not mine.

I agree that is a good price. It looks just like the TF I bought in 1977 { it had a MGB engine as well } and that is cheaper than what I paid { $3,500 } way back then.

3 minutes ago, Gearheadengineer said:

Agreed. Apparently someone close felt the same way. The ad is now gone.

Can a car get any more British than a TD?  Maybe a Morgan.  I’ll have one someday.

• Like 1

I passed a beautifully restored red '52 MG TD yesterday evening. A teenager was driving. We pulled up at a light, I rolled down the window, and told them how much I liked the car.

The father said, "He's learning to drive a stick!"

I thought he was very brave teaching his son to drive a stick on that classic car. 

Edited by DrumBob (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DrumBob said:

I thought he was very brave teaching his son to drive a stick on that classic car. 

While I agree with you, I did teach my son on my ‘65 Galaxie. Vintage car, and with a bit of power. Thankfully no issues resulted 😀

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 1:38 PM, Angelfish said:

Can a car get any more British than a TD?  Maybe a Morgan.  I’ll have one someday.

Agreed ,

Used to have:

1938 Morgan Barrel Back Trike (3-Wheel),

Restored my 1948 MG-TC - Works car from factory with blower,

1955 TR-2,

1952 Jag XK-120MC

Then switched to 1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce,

and a succession of Citroens

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Agreed ,

Used to have:

1938 Morgan Barrel Back Trike (3-Wheel),

Restored my 1948 MG-TC - Works car from factory with blower,

1955 TR-2,

1952 Jag XK-120MC

Then switched to 1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce,

and a succession of Citroens

Alfas and Citroens are on my list too.  My Dad had 2 DSs but sold them long before I had a drivers' license.  I'd like to find a good driver.

5 hours ago, Angelfish said:

Alfas and Citroens are on my list too.  My Dad had 2 DSs but sold them long before I had a drivers' license.  I'd like to find a good driver.

https://www.2dehands.be/v/auto-s/oldtimers/m2025836589-mg-td-1950

The asking price for this MG does not seem much but if you have to have the car restored it will cost more then you would buy one in good condition.

About the Citroën Ds, if you would like one, I can help you with it. There are plenty for sale for reasonable price.

https://www.2dehands.be/v/auto-s/oldtimers/m2089564456-citroen-dspecial-op-lpg for a good driver car.

https://www.2dehands.be/v/auto-s/ds/m2087636663-citroen-ds-19-1969-oldtimer

I can also arrange shipping.

8 hours ago, demco32 said:

https://www.2dehands.be/v/auto-s/oldtimers/m2025836589-mg-td-1950

The asking price for this MG does not seem much but if you have to have the car restored it will cost more then you would buy one in good condition.

About the Citroën Ds, if you would like one, I can help you with it. There are plenty for sale for reasonable price.

https://www.2dehands.be/v/auto-s/oldtimers/m2089564456-citroen-dspecial-op-lpg for a good driver car.

https://www.2dehands.be/v/auto-s/ds/m2087636663-citroen-ds-19-1969-oldtimer

I can also arrange shipping.

I assume the selection of DSs is better on your side of the pond.   Is it cost effective to ship them over?   I don’t want you to go out of your way looking, but I would want a driver, not a show car, with the European headlights and air conditioning.  I’m not buying one immediately (chasing down a Mercedes Benz 450SLC at the moment) but it is on my list.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:38 AM, Angelfish said:

A Morgan is a much better car, except the chassis frame and steering is inferior to what MG had progressed to by the TD era. TD's has a very robust , but unfortunately quite heavy frame. Morgan's had a rather lightweight frame { to the point of being quite flimsy } that usually does not stand up over time. At least replacement frames are reasonable in price to buy. Shipping adds considerably to the cost depending on where you live. Not heavy, just bulky.

MG uses a really very good rack and pinion set up. Same steering with detail changes used right up to the last of the MGB's. Top notch. Morgan's use a worm and peg steering box . { late model Morgan's use a R and P, but those cars are extremely pricy compared to a typical TD } Not great even when new. Parts are expensive and hard to source. 

Big problem with a TD is that it is heavy and very underpowered.

Morgan's are lighter and depending on what version engine much quicker than a TD.  

Morgan's are also a lot more expensive than TD's , but most would agree the extra cost is worth it. A $3,500.00 Morgan comes home in a supermarket shopping buggy.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Angelfish said:

I assume the selection of DSs is better on your side of the pond.   Is it cost effective to ship them over?   I don’t want you to go out of your way looking, but I would want a driver, not a show car, with the European headlights and air conditioning.  I’m not buying one immediately (chasing down a Mercedes Benz 450SLC at the moment) but it is on my list.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/recherche?category=2&text=citroen ds&u_car_brand=CITROEN&regdate=1950-1970

Citroën is a French brand and is of course widely sold in Western Europe.

Therefore more can be found with us in Belgium, France, etc...

The DS is a comfortable car and was way ahead of its time when it first came onto the market in 1955.

You won't find cars with air conditioning but aftermarket could be an option.

They are complex cars to work on compared to many American cars that were much larger and not as compact.

The most expensive shipping option will be transport in the USA, container shipping is not that expensive.

If you can pick up the car yourself from the transport company where the container is delivered, this will make a significant difference in costs.

I can put you in touch with a very good company that I have already worked with to transport cars from the USA to Belgium.

I don't know the law regarding imports to the US, import tax?

As for the Mercedes R107 models, you should pay attention to rust, especially at the back of the chassis near the rear wheels.

• Thanks 1