Screwy screws

Over on the Not Mine forum, there is a discussion of a car that may have been built in Canada and one was to tell is that if so, it would use Robertson head screws. Years ago, I remember dealing with late 50's GM products which used clutch head screws. What other uncommon fasteners are there? (Obviously the dreaded Whitworth!)  

All I know is every time I needed to replace one of those oddball screws the local hardware store never had them!

Pozi-Driv and square-drive come to mind. I have a set of Harbor  Freight screwdriver bits that has some of the oddest configurations anyone could think of. Triangular bits, three-pointed star bits, even one to screw a cup hook into a shelf. 

330px-Set_of_security_screw_driver_bits.jpg

I had to buy a pair of clutch head screwdrivers about 45 years ago to replace a wiper motor on a 1960 BelAir.

At least they also worked on some Holley carburetors!

• Like 2

A fellow I used to work for had a Reed-Prince screwdriver.At a glance it looked like a Phillips,but it wouldn't work on Phillips head screws.That was the only one of those I've ever seen and I have yet to see a Reed-Prince screw.

What is a reed and prince screw?

The Frearson screw drive, also known as the Reed and Prince screw drive, and specified as ANSI Type II Cross Recess, is similar to a Phillips but the Frearson has a sharp tip and larger angle in the V shape. One advantage over the Phillips drive is that one driver or bit fits all screw sizes.
image.jpeg.5265796becc32714fdd6ba492465a570.jpeg
  • Like 3

Some manufacturers used screws with strange heads . One of those was used on  a flexible driver to adjust the ignition contacts on my 68 Biscayne v 8. Those screw drivers came in different sizes and were not available in auto parts stores. Snap On started selling them to garage mechanics. When you  go to a public washroom , look at the fasteners that hold the doors and other fixtures. The screw heads are designed to turn only one way.   Lots of appliances were used funny headed screws deliberately to avoid consumers doing their service. Tools makers made tools screwdrivers to defeat the appliances makers. Tool makers were one step ahead.

The British made a cross head screw that looks like the American cross head screw. But the American driver will not fit. Try the American driver on the British screw head and the screw head will quickly go round. I have that experience on my British sports MGB.   The driver must be designed for the British screw. I have a set of drivers like the one shown by Rocket Raider .

5 hours ago, dodge28 said:

Some manufacturers used screws with strange heads . One of those was used on  a flexible driver to adjust the ignition contacts on my 68 Biscayne v 8.

That was just a 1/8" "Allen" head screw. aka Socket Head Screw. Very common. Also come in Button head and Flat head designs. You could use the "L" shaped 1/8"  "Allen" wrench (aka Hex Key)  just fine on most GM cars. 

5 hours ago, dodge28 said:

Tool makers were one step ahead.

Well, they made the tools the appliance manufacturers bought to assemble them in the first place.😉 No use making a fastener that has no tool to install it.

Need more "weird" head screws, look at this page from McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/screws/

Oh yes, the 12 point screws found in engines these days....😮

🛠️🏎️🚗🚋☃️

On 3/9/2024 at 9:57 AM, Leif in Calif said:

Over on the Not Mine forum, there is a discussion of a car that may have been built in Canada and one was to tell is that if so, it would use Robertson head screws. Years ago, I remember dealing with late 50's GM products which used clutch head screws. What other uncommon fasteners are there? (Obviously the dreaded Whitworth!)  

I have seen those used on the Chevrolet Step-Vans in various places inside, fastening various interior panels in place.

Craig

I have been known to take a clutch head bit with my other tools to the junkyard and grab some of screws just so I would have some on hand. Just in case! Along with other miscellaneous odds and ends that aren’t easily obtainable.

• Like 3