1967 Camaro Original Promotional Film

Thanks for posting. That was back when car makers had a lot of influence on popular culture. Still, I always laugh when '60's era companies tried to "relate" to young people through TV ads or through video presentations. Their choices of music were always several years behind the times, and back in the fad crazy 1960's, that was like an eternity (to young people.)

• Like 2

Indeed it was, either 3-speed stick or Powerglide, along with a bench front seat.

I've seen two 67s with bench/column combination, both automatics, one 6-cylinder, one 327.

The six cylinder car met the fate of many Camaros in this area. It became a red 396 four-speed RS car in the late 1980s and went thru several owners.

Long as it was changing hands locally nobody said anything. It's when one of the local Camaro cretins tried to sell it out of state for big money that the lawyers and courts got involved. It simply couldn't outrun its six cylinder VIN.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Awesome!

I have never seen a 67 camaro with a column shifter.   Was that even a thing?

Back in the mid 80's my brother had a '67 Camaro Sport Coupe with the 327 / Powerglide that had a column shift with the bucket seats but no console.

It went to the junkyard in the sky when his girlfriend parked it outside her parent's house and it was hit hard in the rear by a drunk driver.

Bent the frame and rear axle real bad so it was totaled.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rocketraider said:

The six cylinder car met the fate of many Camaros in this area. It became a red 396 four-speed RS car in the late 1980s and went thru several owners.

In 1975, not long after I finely cut a 3/4" strip off the rear of the fender so the driver door wouldn't bind my 1965 Impala four door hardtop gave up its 396/Powerglide to a 6 cylinder Camaro swap by others. $150 would buy a lot of engine in the early '70s.

My Impala was a pre-Quadrajet car and came with a Holley 4 barrel at 325 HP with the PG. I used to say that car had no need for a transmission, could have gotten by just fine without one. Great car, New York rust got it.

3 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

my 1965 Impala four door hardtop gave up its 396/Powerglide to a 6 cylinder Camaro swap by others. $150 would buy a lot of engine in the early '70s.

The 396 that went in the bogus Camaro here came out of a gorgeous Royal Plum 67 Caprice 4dht. The lady who owned that car went in a nursing home and her son sold the car to the Camaro guy for $400 in the belief his mother's car would continue to be maintained and cherished. Camaro guy was and is an oily smooth talker, and known to often be an outright liar.

Six weeks after purchase the Caprice was sitting in a local junkyard, stripped of its engine, transmission and 396 badging. I daresay selling its Chevrolet pattern T400 cut the cost of the Caprice in half. I won't call the Caprice a "donor car" either. It was molested to get its engine.

Caprice was an outstanding original car. But it was a four-door full-size car ("them big cars ain't worth nothing") and the Camaro was a six ("a six cylinder Camaro ain't natural man!").

🙄

The one that tried to sell it in early 2000s paid a high price and a lot of legal fees for his efforts. The one who originally built it got away scot-free and continues to build bogus Camaros and SS Chevelles.

And y'all wonder why I distance myself from the "car people" here and their mentality.

4 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

outstanding original car. But

That's car people talk all over, no matter the group. We were having coffee in my garage last Tuesday talking about those "too bad it's not" comments so frequently heard. My '60 Buick Flat Top was sitting across from us. I said "Yeah, I'm lucky. I don't get that "Too bad it's not a two door". Most know they only made four doors.

Take out the seat belts for the new carpet job.

IMG_0602.JPG.393e9a15c6647ebb8c4db498b995c365.JPG

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

From a time when all car advertising in any media made you want to see and own the car.

I haven't seen an ad (or vehicle for that matter) that made me want to go out and buy a particular vehicle in decades.

I agree 100%

Tim

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 11:36 PM, zepher said:

Back in the mid 80's my brother had a '67 Camaro Sport Coupe with the 327 / Powerglide that had a column shift with the bucket seats but no console.

It went to the junkyard in the sky when his girlfriend parked it outside her parent's house and it was hit hard in the rear by a drunk driver.

Bent the frame and rear axle real bad so it was totaled.

In my collection I have a car with precisely this configuration. I've owned it since 1969 when I bought it from a cash starved friend for $400. The car had been in an accident early on and rebuilt. My friend bought it in the summer of 1967 for the price of the damage repair, $1200. He was the antithesis of a car guy and wanted me to look at it with him. He was willing to ignore the rough edges, so I told him to go ahead and buy it. Neglect and abuse was to be the it's plight for the next two years, until he blew the engine. At that time the car was tagged with it's name "The Purple Piggy" by a mutual friend.  

My friend needed wheels and I had some cash. I had planned to do a quick engine R&R and resell the car. I put a $75 used 283 in the car over the weekend and was driving it on Monday. My girl friend at that time told me she wanted to buy it. Long story she never paid me for it and he new boy friend, a used car dealer told her that the car was not worth the $900 I was asking for it. So I continued to drive it for the next ten years and putting another 125K miles on it before it got parked-so much for that guy's opinion. 

If a car has been good to me I try to give the same back. Today "Piggy" lives on, a much loved, Royal Plumb, Rely Sport-after my long duration, major refurbishment. It's not always how a car begins life that counts!   

• Like 2

Nice to hear that one of the same models is still out there.

My brother's car was originally gold but was repainted black not long before he picked it up.

Originally had a 2 barrel carb but we transplanted a 4 bbl manifold and carb onto it so it had a little more get up and go.

If I had unlimited money I would find another Sport Coupe like he had and buy it and just give it to him.

At the risk of overdoing this thing, some might still find some of this interesting. Everything about these early Camaros can be broken down by percentage as per their particular features. One day I had some time to kill and just to satisfy my own curiosity I began to parse out the features to determine about how many cars exactly like mine had been produced. Some items can be a big trend setter especially if it was a rare feature. These numbers are just from memory and would have been approximate anyway.

220,000 1967 Camaros produced

10% Rally Sport=22,000

3% of 67's were painted the rare one year only Royal Plumb=660

The rest of the items like 210 horse 327, Powerglide, column shift, standard interior, ww tires etc. are all kind of a blur ten years after I did the calculation. What I came up with approximately 26 identical cars produced! Remember this was just to satisfy my own curiosity and certainly not because any combination of these features on a standard Camaro would make it any more valuable!

With the proclivity of young owners to customize and tear them up when they were new, I figured that my chances of seeing another one like it was one step up from zero. About a year later I went to a big car show in Snohomish Washington. It was the last big car show of the year. Regardless of the odds there it was the spitting image of my car magnificently restored to original. Only in the Twilight Zone! 

• Like 3