1939 Buick coupe

Hello everybody, 

I have just purchased a 1939 Buick coupe.

Trying to figure out if it’s a 40,60 or 80 series.

pictures of the frame, engine and firewall numbers I found so far. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!   

IMG_7486.jpeg

IMG_7482.jpeg

IMG_7476.jpeg

IMG_9640.jpeg

• Like 2

Your firewall I.D. tag indicates the car is a series 40, model 46, which is a SPECIAL business coupe. The 13432779 is a frame serial number. The first digit (a 1 in your case) indicates this BUICK was built in the Flint, MI plant. 

Frame serial number:

Plant Name

Plant Code

Seq Num Start

Seq Num End

Flint, MI

South Gate, CA

Linden, NJ

I also sent you a private message here on the forum. Just click on the little envelope in the top right corner of this page. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Neat little coupe.

You should definitely join the Buick club, you'll get tons of help and info there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

At first glance it has the first version grill and the marker lights on the front fender were a $4.20 option

And  has the small wiper transmission, so very likely the short chassis.

The engine serial number may be a restamp.  Buick used the letter b for 6, and inverted b for 9. Stamping not the same quality as Buick factory

Paint 531 is rainer blue (a very nice color IMHO)

Trim 700   Novetly Bedford Cloth   Tan

Trim 701   Mohair Fabric  Taupe

Front fender lights may have been $4.20 in 1939 but can be ~$250 now.  Lens are hard to find.  Years ago a friend in NZ made some plastic lens that were a very good match to glass. Hard to tell difference.

PASTHINGS

Does it drive and stop OK?

Are your intentions to restore it ~ get running as is?

Many 1 year only parts for 1939 series 40

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

I think you got a very rare Buick.  I've always seen 4 door sedans as 39 Buicks, but never a small coupe.  Looks Chevrolet size.  It looks green to me.  Is it really blue?  Does it have a six cylinder engine like a Chevrolet?  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, marcapra said:

I think you got a very rare Buick.  I've always seen 4 door sedans as 39 Buicks, but never a small coupe.  Looks Chevrolet size.  It looks green to me.  Is it really blue?  Does it have a six cylinder engine like a Chevrolet?  

From 1931 to 1953 Buick had straight 8's.

Buick bodies are GM B , Chev was GM A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_B_platform

Car has been repainted blue to green

• Like 1

I sold this 3 years ago after owning it for 12 years.    I wanted a Buick with the dual side mounts and looked at a lot 

poor condition and over priced cars.   This came from Milwaukee area, owner moved to Hot Springs AR  history was lost until around 2000 

when it was landed in Palestine TX and I purchased from the owner there.    It has every possible option (probably installed when restored)

I was able to get a copy of the Buick accessory booklet from The Buick Heritage Alliance...  my car had the stream boards...running boards that were 

only offered in 1939 on Specials and Centurys at no extra cost    I also want to correct the price on the front fender lamps,  they were $7.50 factory 

installed.    Something I have never heard in a discussion.. the accessory/option booklet list a 3.615/1 gear ratio as an option.  

39 santa.JPG

here is a copy of a page from the accessory booklet.  

accessories.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I bought my first 39 business coupe the year of Woodstock and I still have it. There are many idiosyncrasies between late and early models and quite a few items are 39 only. I'd be glad to help anyway I can.

Thanks

Leif

• Like 2