Charlotte Spring swap meet

Have been able to attend both the spring and fall Carlisle swap meets most every year forever, haven’t made it to Charlotte in 20 years.  Hoping to attend Charlotte next month.  
Wondering what the event looks like and busiest days.  Seems like Carlisle has been becoming more of a weekday event over the years, by Saturday midday vendors are beginning to close up.

haven’t made it to Hershey in some years but that as well I’ve heard is more of a weekday event.

Hoping to score some specific items for my project.  Best days to attend? I can give it 2 days, arrive Thursday midday and depart Friday eve or Saturday morning is my thought right now.

Any suggestions? Thanks all!

2 hours ago, Timchek said:

Hoping to score some specific items for my project.  

If you tell us what your project is, knowledgeable

people might give hints of what vendors might be there,

or whether the Charlotte event even has much for that

type of car.

All the best to you in your search!  It's fun to be 

around other car fans, rather than merely shop through ads.

• Like 1

It has probably been 12-15 years since I was at the spring Charlotte swap meet. I have heard there have been many changes with the swap meet, car corral, and number of vendors. I have heard that the car show is still really good but I'm more interested in the swap meet. I would also like to hear others thoughts that have attended recently.

• Like 1

I’ve attached a coupla photos of my project to illustrate. The most needed item which are probably a longshot, are the upper windshield stanchions for the 30 Pontiac roadster.  May havta settle for something close and modify, I’ll see what I find.  In addition, possibly some vintage gauges (40’s) to fit the theme of the build.  Vintage air cleaners for the 1 barrel rochesters.  Hubcaps for the wire wheels.  Who knows what else I might find of interest!!  Oh, and sample some of the heath food from the vendors and possibly a beer or two!

Really enjoy the whole event at Carlisle, from what I remember Charlotte was very similar, mostly wondering the timing of the event.  Wouldn’t be a total loss to come home empty handed, but I suspect that’d be unlikely.  I always seem to find something to drag home!  Thanks all!IMG_7031.jpeg.0ecf1998856900cde9f7df5c1a2ff175.jpegIMG_7035.jpeg.cf45072c9604279c93befe6e20cb9adc.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like a traditional "jalopy" style hot rod, something that could've been assembled back in the day. You'll find out soon enough however that most that frequent this site, and the AACA in general is geared toward factory stock originals and restorations. There are a bunch of great folks here and some that dabble in the hot rod world too, but the vast majority here are not into anything but factory original cars. 

If you are familiar with "The Hamb", that site is all about hot rods and you will find a lot of helpful folks there too.

-Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

For those who remember the swap meet at Charlotte, say prior to Covid, the changes are a bit disappointing. The track ownership has taken much of the area inside the track for other purposes- pushing much of the swap meet vendors into the large fields behind the track. Some vendors were upset when their prepaid fees were not refunded when the event was cancelled during covid. None of this is a reflection on the Region- they do the best they can with the cards they are given.

If you really enjoy the AACA car show, by all means attend. If you are looking for a top notch swap meet for hard core collectors, this may not be your event. 

Edited by greenie (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I like the Charlotte meet, and have been attending for 30 years.  Having said that, I think the swap meet today is largely late model Ford/Chevy parts, tools, and automobilia.   Not many truly vintage collectors and suppliers vending there like Hershey.  Still a few, but you have to sort through a lot of chaff to find a grain of wheat.  As for which days, Friday and Saturday still seem to me to be the strongest, unlike Hershey which has shifted to a weekday event. 

• Like 6

Thanks gents for the feedback. Kinda wondering now if the trip is worth it although I do really enjoy the events.  I do hav several other toys in the garage, this just the latest.  Long drive from Pittsburgh, but Hershey is a long way off… :( 

PK, yes I’m on the Hamb as well, thanks!

I've always enjoyed the Charlotte event for a variety of reasons. It's got to be one of the friendliest events around.  If you take the time to stop and talk to vendors you'll realize the meaning of "Southern Hospitality."  Some grumble about the race track food prices but just pack a sandwich or some energy bars and some drinks in a small soft-side cooler and keep walking.  Dinner in one of the many excellent nearby restaurants awaits after your too tired to shop. 

I collect early automobilia and here is a "secret" I'll let you in on...some of of the vendors selling mag wheels, blowers, lowering kits and truck parts also have older stuff they play with.  None of them Ive ever met have hesitated to pick up a brass headlamp or a box of old spark plugs to take along to make a buck or two on.  The goodies are mixed in among the rest.  It's not going to jump up at you so you'll need to dig.   You won't find piles of hundreds of hubcaps to sort through looking for what you need.  Instead it's going to be just one hubcap at the bottom of a box somewhere.   Over the years I've found some amazing treasures there.  A few years ago I ran across a younger couple with a U-haul trailer full of stuff they'd cleaned out of their Grandfather's garage.  I bought NOS Model T parts, brass lamps, accessory turn signals, clocks, speedometer parts, NOS dog-bone radiator caps, and a mess of other things.  Had to make two trips to get it all back to my van.  Last time I was there I bought a fantastic pair of early automobile flower vases and a cool tin sign advertising spark plugs. 

Sometimes you might have to walk a little further, or peak under the table, or even ask questions to find goodies. 

I'd never NOT got to a swap meet just because somebody else told me it wasn't worth the trip.  Only you can be the judge, so try it.  You're not obligated to go back.  Heck, there have even been occasions where it rained like crazy so we went through a couple of local antique malls and found some cool stuff. 

It's a treasure hunt and that's what I enjoy most about events like this.

Terry

• Like 7

I too have been going for 30 plus years and look forward to it every year.  My problem is there are very, very few Cadillac parts but I enjoy walking the track and looking at the cars for sale.  I'm going this time to find the guy who sells owner's manuals and dealer brochures in hopes I can get one for the Impala I just got.

Also going to Myrtle Beach next week for the Pee Dee Rod Runners car show and swap meet.

Tim

• Like 1

I go for the AACA car meet. I usually go Saturday to look at the AACA cars, and by the time 2 or 3 o'clock rolls around my aging body is too exhausted to visit the swap meet. And don't forget the Grand National meet Friday -- I guess I'll have to stay overnight this year.

The AACA shows are outside the speedway and are free. Little or no food at the car meets, but plenty of choices inside the gates. There is a charge to get into the flea market.

Definitely worth the trip for me.

Don

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DLynskey said:

There is a charge to get into the flea market.

If you show or judge at either show you will receive passes to enter the flea market for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been to spring Charlotte the last 2 years and really enjoy it. I go for the swap meet - the thrill of the hunt!  It takes me the better part of 2 days to go through it all. Its a 5 hour drive for me, well worth it. If it looks like rain, bring your mud boots.

• Like 1