Brake Master Cylinder - to hone or not?

Stude Light

I’m replacing the brake system on my 1962 Olds F-85. The master cylinder had some crude in it so I disassembled it and bought a rebuild kit.

The master cylinder worked fine and didn’t leak before I disassembled and cleaned it out. The bore is not rusty nor pitted. Normally I would just buy a new one but the original housings are no longer available and I like originality.

My question: Do I lightly run a wheel cylinder hone down the bore of the master or just leave it as is?

On some things like that I have used the brush that is used to clean copper fittings before soldering them together.  You can use them manually with the handle on or cut the handle off and use a drill.  Buy them at any hardware store or Home Depot, etc..

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Oatey-31327-1-2-Copper-Fitting-Brush-w-Plastic-Handle?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=Shopping_tm&utm_campaign=Shopping_TM_New_users&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAuNGuBhAkEiwAGId4ak1uW93GZyBL3HKroXFfWmsJA40DXwDYFn7ApIf6XqCnCEIWOAaeeBoC8CwQAvD_BwE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After cleaning up the bore of the master cylinder with some brakleen it turns out that it has a brass bore. That’s why there is no rust nor pitting. It is in very nice shape. Now I’m thinking a little 000 steel wool just to clean up any oxidation.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Stude Light said:

After cleaning up the bore of the master cylinder with some brakleen it turns out that it has a brass bore. That’s why there is no rust nor pitting. It is in very nice shape. Now I’m thinking a little 000 steel wool just to clean up any oxidation.

Be very careful with that steel wool. The tineyest little specs of wool can really screw up a good job by getting in the lines and fittings. Wash, wash, wash and blow, blow, blow out. Just some advice from someone that's been there.

• Like 1

Wash with soap and water. Then blow dry. Sounds counterintuitive water with cast iron, but do it. Then lube lightly with the fluid you will be using. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 9:54 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

"Back in the day" [ hate that phrase]  we just cleaned them up with fine crocus cloth.  Never had to do one over.

Ben

What I was a kid I didn't have a hone for wheel cylinders or the master cyl. I used a piece of wood dowel , cut a slit in it and used  a piece very fine emery cloth  sliding the slit. It worked good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Wash with soap and water. Then blow dry. Sounds counterintuitive water with cast iron, but do it. Then lube lightly with the fluid you will be using. 

This^^

Better yet, lube it with Sil-Glyde. That goes double for wheel cylinders.

• Like 1

It’ll go in the ultrasonic cleaner before assembly. I use the purple Simple Green with water at about 200 deg F so when you pull it out and rinse it is still hot enough to quickly evaporate any residual water.

I used a lot of 600 wet or dry sandpaper before I got a brake cylinder hone....👍

I never tried to remove pits, just got the crud out for a smooth finish. Worked great!😉

🛠️☃️❄️🐫🏎️ 🎠 🚗 🚋

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1