Director at the Convention advocating for adding restomods in AACA

rustlover

First time poster here. I attended my third AACA convention this year. The location was great, and the seminars were very good. However, when I went to the membership meeting I was shocked to hear the AACA director who moderated the Q and A supporting the addition of restomods/highly modified vehicles to AACA National events. Isn't the restoration and preservation of original automobiles the intended purpose of AACA?? Did I miss something?? I don't recall this topic being covered in the magazine. I am involved with AACA because they support the history and originality of the automobiles. If I want modified cars I can join a street rod club. I looked up this persons biography in my magazine collection and they not once mentioned they were wanting to change AACA. How did this happen? Is there a way to recall Directors? I was very saddened by this

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rustlover said:

First time poster here. I attended my third AACA convention this year. The location was great, and the seminars were very good. However, when I went to the membership meeting I was shocked to hear the AACA director who moderated the Q and A supporting the addition of restomods/highly modified vehicles to AACA National events. Isn't the restoration and preservation of original automobiles the intended purpose of AACA?? Did I miss something?? I don't recall this topic being covered in the magazine. I am involved with AACA because they support the history and originality of the automobiles. If I want modified cars I can join a street rod club. I looked up this persons biography in my magazine collection and they not once mentioned they were wanting to change AACA. How did this happen? Is there a way to recall Directors? I was very saddened by this

Welcome to the Forum!! I see your point of view and appreciate you advocating the restoration/preservation of historical vehicles as the mission statement of the club. My 1931 Buick is bone stock mechanically, the paint doesn't appear to be the original color, but I enjoy it immensely. On the other hand, my 1970 Monte Carlo has a 383 small block, headers, dual exhaust etc, etc. I also enjoy driving it whenever I can. I think there's enough room under the tent to accommodate everyone's interest.  When I attend a show such as Hershey, I tend to gravitate to the pre-war cars, it's what I picture when I hear the phrase "antique car". That doesn't mean that I don't still appreciate the post war cars, muscle cars, sports cars etc that populate the showfield. I remember when hot rods were first accepted at Pebble Beach and anarchy was predicted by some of the old guard. Turned out, there was a genuine interest and appreciation of the cars and the workmanship they represented. In short, I'm open to expanding the universe of cars accepted by the AACA.

• Like 4

While I can't speak for her and I don't remember exactly what she said, it was in response to a suggestion from an AACA member in the audience who was advocating for considering allowing restomods in the club. I feel confident in saying that there is no change of direction of AACA, and I do not expect to see any such change. In any open mic Q & A, the person conducting it has no idea before hand what members are going to ask or state. My recollection was that, just as with other questions and comments, she was attempting to be polite and appear agreeable with comments made by members, but I would not read too much into that off the cuff remark. During the weekend, she made a few other comments that I heard that also did not seem to have been that well thought out, and some of them were during a presentation that she should have been prepared for. It is very easy to open your mouth when you have a microphone in your hand and say something that might not be the best thing to say. I would not worry to much about an off the cuff comment. If you don't see it as a published proposal, but as a random comment by a single Director, there is no reason to worry as that does not signal any new direction for the club. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I would surely think, as mentioned,a passing comment does not affect the club.

The local AACA region in Winchester has a show every year, the club is allowing hot rods, street rods, and restomods.

I quit bringing a car to the show due to this, may sound petty on my part, but I don’t  want my Pierce parked next to a rusty rat rod.

I trust the AACA national won’t head down that road.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Here we go again... It reminds me of a saying I have about people in general. "If you repeat a lie enough times, it becomes the truth." It's only a matter of time... Watch this space.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As Convention Chairman (and Board Member) let's be clear. AACA remains absolutely committed to its 25-year-old and older mission of originality and authenticity for any and all automobiles. Plain and simple...NOTHING's CHANGING! Which is why I closed the Awards Banquet proceedings with the statement that we look to further celebrating our mission (as stated above) in the year(s) to come and accelerate ahead. All the Meeting Moderator was trying to convey was that if people have multiple interests, they're welcome to join the Club. Our intention is to educate them on the virtues of originality and authenticity.  We're not going to change our recipe, but we encourage them to come and take a taste of what we stand for. There's a good change that they'll find it a delicious new flavor. And if you missed Chantilly, I urge you to join us in Charlotte next year! STEVEN ROSSI

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I appreciate all the replies, particularly those from current Directors, and I understand the need to close ranks and "tow the company line". However, characterizing her statements as misspoken in an attempt to be polite to one individuals' comments gives me no comfort. I would have thought the same had she not responded in kind to three people in the same fashion. She very clearly articulated a position or personal opinion supporting the inclusion of modified vehicles in AACA National. Others at my table felt similarly. I wasn't hearing things. It was said, and in clear terms. in fact her position led to further supporting discussion of that position.

I hate to feel forced to defend my position on modified vehicles on an AACA forum but given that this is a public forum and not one requiring AACA membership, I know some may jump to the conclusion that I am a crusty old guy who hates modified cars...I actually own two. I also show them at region events. Im not old or crusty either HA. I think the inclusiveness in working with others is a good thing, but AACA is the only club to my knowledge outside of the Veteran Car Club which is based upon stock vehicles...the librarys mission supports stock vehicles, and many members including myself recently donated to that cause, which is another reason I am expressing concern.

Obviously, at least one member of the AACA Board supports changing AACA Nationals posture and mission. IF there is a discussion going on behind board doors about such a change, there needs to be transparency. Not including the memberships opinions on something of this magnitude is governing malfeasance.  I have noticed there are fewer opportunities at National events for members to discuss opinions...helpful ones in most cases. 

If there are moves in this direction, then there should be an open discussion about it. If as Mr. Rossi says, there are no changes, then perhaps there needs to be an official statement from the President on behalf of the entire board to that effect. Clarification is needed...there were a couple hundred people there.

If AACA makes any change, I hope it includes the opinions of the majority of its membership. Ignoring the general constituency is a hallmark of todays politicians, it should not be the same here.

It is not as if my concerns here were organic, I came to address them because of what was clearly articulated at our membership meeting. Perhaps this Director is rogue, but repercussions should exist if they are out of line or incompetent. AACA membership does not have a great trajectory. Situations like this make that more difficult to improve. AACA already has an image issue.

I thoroughly enjoy the club, the magazine, and its members. Should AACA make a course change I will accept that, but will likely leave your ranks.

Also, I appreciate Mr. Hinsons thoughtful reply as well...I neglected to mention that earlier.

As a National Director, I can say that there is NO intent on changing the mission of AACA.  Individual Regions and Chapters can permit modified cars in their local shows however.  Nothing has changed and nothing is in the works for a change.

Dave Bowman

AACA National Director

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As indicated by board members here, there are no changes, there are no discussions for changes, nor intent in making changes to the club's mission whatsoever. There is nothing to be concerned about in regard to AACA making a course change. AACA remains absolutely committed to its 25-year and older automobiles that are original and/or authentic.

We thank you for being so attentive and sensitive for this all-important issue that we remain forever steadfast.  -- Jack Harris, 2024 AACA National President

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, 61polara said:

As a National Director, I can say that there is NO intent on changing the mission of AACA.  Individual Regions and Chapters can permit modified cars in their local shows however.  Nothing has changed and nothing is in the works for a change.

Dave Bowman

AACA National Director

Thank you Mr. Bowman. Im not trying to be difficult here, and as I stated I understand the need to defend the position, but no-one wants to acknowledge the elephant in the room. I heard what I heard. Those at my table heard it as well. The Director clearly supported modified vehicles in AACA National, but no-one is willing to admit that. Characterizing it as a minor misspoken response, and acting as if yours truly is hearing things or taking them out of context is something I would expect at a Whitehouse Press conference of either party, but not here. Everyone is jumping in suddenly to cover this, but it still stands. It happened multiple times not just once. Again, I really appreciate the engagement, but I do not wish to be dismissed. I heard what I heard gentlemen. You obviously have some housekeeping issues as your board is not in synch. Its disappointing.

Not everyone on a board needs to have the same opinion. That’s why there are more than one person on a board.  However, a board member should clearly distinguish between their personal opinion and the board’s collective and official position. 

• Like 2

My wife and I were there. There were two persons opining on restomods. The first person opined it be something to consider and include. The second commenter was virulently against. Ms Ruby handled it well. Thanked the comments but I heard NO affirmation by OUR directors this was in the works. Or more accurately that OUR bylaws were being changed. 
I’m certain if that were going to occur, the membership would be informed. There would be discussions on this forum, likely an article(s) in magazine and likely something in Speedster. 

Other comments that were made that I thought were important was a comment to increase efforts on legislation - specifically about ethanol and the other about combining with other marque clubs - bringing them under the AACA banner. 

The best thing I heard was that we - the members - that includes directors - are deeply passionate and passionate about a broad range of issues. Some items I love, some I’m dubious, some I dislike, some I’m ambivalent. Probably like everyone else. 

• Like 2

This is NOT a picture of a "board of directors" in a democracy, marching in perfect lockstep.

image.jpeg.b4268e901afc1642ba4b67a568171a7d.jpeg

Neither is this...no matter how attractive

Donald Trump: Rockettes reportedly complain about inauguration

Defineda board of directors is a group of people, selected by the shareholders, who make the major decisions for the corporation. The exact responsibilities of the board are governed by the company's articles of incorporation. Divergent opinions should be allowed to be expressed openly without fear of repression or negative repercussions, but not to the extent of undermining, grossly modifying or negating said articles unilaterally or by a minority there of.

• Like 4

The OP requested/demanded the AACA President provide a statement on the issue being raised by the OP. The AACA President provided that statement via West Peterson which essentially said the Mission of the AACA is unchanged and there are no current discussions to change it. Shouldn’t that put this issue to rest?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6