I found this in a barn

So your gonna rod it so it will be worth $0 dollars when your finished because it's not the body style or year other rodders are looking for?  Or are you saying your just gonna upgrade the machanicals?

28anut, that is why I would like to rod it. It is different it’s not the same as what everyone else has.

I am doing this build for the enjoyment not to make money, if that’s even possible lol.

You said it’s the wrong year, what is your best guess on the year?

alsancle, why is it not good street rod material?

all advice is helpful. Thanks

• Haha 1

You may find that this is a site that likes original cars.  That's not to say that you won't find people willing to help, but you will also find people, like me, who cannot understand destroying a very nice original car.   The HAMB might be more helpful.  But turning a nice old car into a street rod is the same as graffiting a Charlie Russell painting. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Angelfish said:

You may find that this is a site that likes original cars.  That's not to say that you won't find people willing to help, but you will also find people, like me, who cannot understand destroying a very nice original car.   The HAMB might be more helpful.  But turning a nice old car into a street rod is the same as graffiting a Charlie Russell painting. 

As soon as you use the words “street rod” on the hamb, you will be immediately banned. So believe it or not, this is more welcoming.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Model-50-1926 said:

28anut, that is why I would like to rod it. It is different it’s not the same as what everyone else has.

I am doing this build for the enjoyment not to make money, if that’s even possible lol.

"Street Rod" vs "Hot Rod".   The latter is typically a 3 or 5 window coupe or a roadster.  A traditional hot rod follows certain rules.   If you read the HAMB long enough you will get the idea.  Those are cool.

Street Rod can be any car to start with and follow no rules.  Think crate engine and air conditioning.   You can't discuss these on the HAMB.

The reason I think this is a poor car to create either out of is the hours and money invested far out weigh having a car in hand that not appropriate.  Better to sell this to someone else and start with a better basis.

As far as not making money,  my guess is you will lose 75% of all the money invested in making this any kind of rod.  Better to get that number closer to 25%.  Zero is very hard to do.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The car rebuilt in any fashion will be a loosing proposition. Restored original or in a "Street Rod" configuration  will not make it a worthy project.  It looks like it was a real good original and someone has already given it a haircut   for parts to build a roadster or touring car.   Look at whats missing ... all parts that could be substituted  to a more desirable model. JUST MY OPINION.....

• Like 3

Hello, if it is the body that was your first attraction, you can make molds of it, then lay-ups and use those to create the body of your dreams! Modifying the "new" to fit whatever chassis you have or can buy. The chassis and engine to this original won't make for much in the way of a "Hot" rod. Use what you've got, redress it and then do a form of "Catch and Release"! Maybe?

• Like 1

A "restomod" seems the best way to go. These cars in original factory specs are not much in demand, a complete decent running one hard to sell at $12k-$15K. And at that, they can only be used for occasional short trips and shows. however, if the out ward appearance can be fully retained and modern power train etc installed, you get a good runner for about the same price, and it can be maintained by most mechanics with off the shelf parts. A friend is doing such with a previously disheveled '31 Chrysler, will be able to drive it anywhere, including long trips.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 5:41 PM, Model-50-1926 said:

I'll bet NONE of the above offer to buy that car so THEY can give it what it "deserves".

Carry on! 

Ben

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 3:41 PM, Model-50-1926 said:

The only thing I can think of as to why it would not make a good street rod is the wood body structure beneath the metal. Probably won't hold up to a lot of torque.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I say do whatever vision you see and like. If money isn’t the object then you should build the car however you like, you’re still saving it from the crusher. At the end of the day it’s in your garage and no one else’s.

• Like 1