1936 Pontiac three window coupe

On ebay. Looks like a gorgeous car to me. Very desirable to me, not mine.

"This restored 1936 Pontiac Silver Streak is powered by a Straight-8 engine paired with a 3-speed manual transmission. The interior features functioning gauges, a radio and a clock. It rolls on artillery-style wheels. Records of travel and driving experiences go with the sale, including log sheets for 1,500- and 3,300-mile trips. for more info call jordan at 866-733-4451 Video watch?v=mZyluy_u3ds"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266657827741?

s-l1200-2.webp.7ef373c9cd4580f6bdd2c94ead99d2b4.webps-l1200-1.webp.1b75f012245baf28e4d31ea4c2af4326.webps-l1200.webp.156744dca29aeb7795b5154a130deb10.webp

Edited by Hans1965 (see edit history)
  • Like 10

Does anyone know if GM used this same body shell on the 1936 Chevy coupe.  I heard somewhere that the  36 Chevy used the A Body where the higher priced cars used the B Body. 

• Like 1

36 Pontiacs are all A bodies, as are Chevrolets, but the answer to the question is still no. Most parts are close but do not interchange between makes. I have been collecting pics of door wood, and somewhere I have pictures of a coupe door that was sold as Pontiac to a guy who owned 3 Pontiac coupes. It was close but no match, the beltline was all wrong. We thought it was probably Chevrolet. Then there is the issue that these Pontiacs are 3 window coupes. Did Chevrolet even make that in 36? I'm not sure.

Oldsmobiles and Buick 40s are also A bodies.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DFeeney said:

Does anyone know if GM used this same body shell on the 1936 Chevy coupe.  I heard somewhere that the  36 Chevy used the A Body where the higher priced cars used the B Body. 

Throughout the 1930's and into the postwar period, GM's A-B-C-Body programs were structured to Chevrolet always having the A-Body which was then shared with the six-cylinder Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles to help them compete in the lower-price segments.  Eight-cylinder Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Buick Special 40 and Century 60, LaSalle and Cadillac 60 all received B-Bodies.  Buick Roadmaster 80, Cadillac 65, 70 and 80 C-Bodies and the Buick Limited 90, Cadillac 75, 85 and 90 the D-Body which were an extension based on the C-Body.  GM Divisions and Fisher were very clever utilizing shared bodies across nameplates and price segment to generate high volume sales to amortize the capital-intensive tooling necessary.   The Sloan Ladder of "A Car for Every Purse and Purpose" succeeded marvelously with this body sharing program as one of its pillars.   Specific model years and series require in depth study to determine how the various body series were utilized.

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments added (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Bloo said:

...these Pontiacs are 3 window coupes. Did Chevrolet even make that in 36? I'm not sure.

1836 Chevrolet Master 3-window coupe. It appears to have a rumble seat, hence the external spare. The Pontiac coupe has a conventional trunk and, I suppose the spare is inside, although there are no photos of it. The spare is not inside the passenger compartment.

1936 Chevrolet Master

1936 Chevrolet Master

1936 Chevrolet Master

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Fascinating car. The Indian head is everywhere, the grill in 36 is fantastic and the art deco styling is just outstanding. I love all the nice little details on this one. Really nicely restored car. Even at the dealer price of 29.5 grand not overpriced at all, I think. I am always grateful to see such cars, where someone with real passion and love wanted to bring back the former glory of the car, no matter what it costs. I'd love to own this. Would look great next to my 52 Pontiac Catalina and black 47 Buick Super Sedanet... 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Bloo said:

36 Pontiacs are all A bodies, as are Chevrolets, but the answer to the question is still no. Most parts are close but do not interchange between makes. I have been collecting pics of door wood, and somewhere I have pictures of a coupe door that was sold as Pontiac to a guy who owned 3 Pontiac coupes. It was close but no match, the beltline was all wrong. We thought it was probably Chevrolet. Then there is the issue that these Pontiacs are 3 window coupes. Did Chevrolet even make that in 36? I'm not sure.

Oldsmobiles and Buick 40s are also A bodies.

Most Buick's are B bodies. Early 30's and 1 model of Buick in 1940 [40A] use A.  Some GM brands used A on some model and B on other models in the same year, as very good post above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_A_platform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_B_platform

The car in post 1 looks very good

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

I don't think any of that is going to hold in 1936. In fact, those Wikipedia links contradict it. To some extent they also contradict each other. Here's an example from the A body link:

Starting in 1926 through 1958, GM used four different designations based on different wheelbase dimensions used which helped Fisher Body standardize coachwork provided for various bodyshells/platforms with the A-body for Chevrolet, most Pontiacs, Buick, and Oldsmobile vehicles.

.Speaking purely about 1936, that is pretty close. There is no difference between the body of a 1936 Pontiac Deluxe Eight and a 1936 Pontiac Deluxe Six. A Master Six body is different in that it has black knobs on the dash and window cranks instead of brown, and a different stitch pattern in the wool. That's all. In fact, factory built 1936 Pontiacs have turned up with the wrong body on them. You would never be able to tell without looking at Fisher Body's data plate. The differences between the series are all in front of the firewall, the frame and nose being longer on the Deluxe Eight to accommodate the straight eight, and the frame horns are apparently a little different on the Master Six to accomodate a straight axle instead of the Chevrolet-type Dubonnet suspension that all the Deluxe sixes and eights have.

Standing next to a 1936 Buick 40, Buick 60, Olds F or Olds L, I don't think you will find any difference in size or width from the firewall back compared to a 36 Pontiac. Also, they're tiny. If these are all B bodies, then why are the door dimensions all like Chevrolet? Also, that would make a Buick 80 a C body. Then what is the 90? A D body? Did that even exist yet in 1936?

I've done this subject to death looking for alternative sources of wood patterns and dimensions and other door parts for 1936 Pontiacs. I think you will find that all Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and any Buicks smaller than series 80 were A bodies in 1936. Take Buick off that list, and you can include 1935 too. Those are exactly the same cars and series that turned up in 1937 with new wider all-steel bodies that looked almost alike from the firewall back. In my opinion that is not a coincidence. The only things left with wooden bodies in 1937 were large Buicks (and probably Cadillacs).

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DFeeney said:

Thanks to all who brought me up to date on mid 30's GM cars.  At 79 I remember seeing  a lot of these cars when I would ride my bike behind the neighborhood  gas stations. 

Fantastic memories that the younger guys here simply cannot have. Age wise and simply because I live abroad. 

Wonder how it was in the 30s and 40s to live in the US. When I asked my late aunt how the time after the war was or the early 50s here in Germany, she said it was a time in poverty when you where happy to get an orange for Xmas and everybody had only one pair of shoes and the girls just 2 or 3 simple dresses. And still they made the best out of it. Mid 50s and later it got much better. Our golden generation, too. Miss my grandparents, uncles and aunts, great bunch of people. Hey, do I have a winter depression? OMG !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Very attractive car IMO. Often, I will see a black car that doesn't have enough details so that it looks boring. That said, whoever restored this car added the paint at the belt line and painted the artillery wheels so the black is broken up a bit. GLWTS. I wonder what the reserve is. 

I saw a 36 Pontiac 8 coupe at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale and it sold for $23,100.  That car looked very similar to the one posted here.  I have always liked 36 coupes from GM however I am partial to Buicks and Pontiacs but I can't get over the wood issue.  I saw a video recently posted on some website of the new owner shooting a video of the car on the lot of Barrett Jackson and thinking he's going to flip that car.  So I checked VIN' for both cars and found the Barrett car has a stock number in place of the VIN so who knows if they match.  Pretty crazy but II do think this is the same car because 2 36 Pontiacs for sale at the same time would be very astonishing.  Well the one posted on this thread is currently at $19,000 on eBay so time will tell where price ends up on eBay!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deac said:

I saw a video recently posted on some website of the new owner shooting a video of the car on the lot of Barrett Jackson and thinking he's going to flip that car.  So I checked VIN' for both cars and found the Barrett car has a stock number in place of the VIN so who knows if they match.  Pretty crazy but II do think this is the same car because 2 36 Pontiacs for sale at the same time would be very astonishing. 

1 hour ago, deac said:

Here's the Barrett Jackson listing: 

I think you accidentally reposted Ebay. Here's Barrett-Jackson: https://bid.barrett-jackson.com/lot-details/index/catalog/35/lot/20184

36 Buick fender lights, sealed beams, lynx-eye(?) tail light lenses, 36 Chevrolet(?) radio (bet they had to cut the dash to get that in), cowl mounted antenna, block heater, autostart switch missing, manual choke? (not even optional), front license on wrong side, 1937 heater, is that someone's kitchen clock on the glovebox?

No way did someone match all those details. It's the same car.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...