Period images to relieve some of the stress - FEEDBACK

I love the topic started by Walt:  "Period images to relieve some of the stress". It has such amazing contributions!

UNFORTUNATELY...

• All the amazing contributions and feedback are lost to the VAST MAJORITY of users

• With 600 pages/30,000 responses, it's become like a library without any organization 

• Responses to photos are disconnected from each other
  • There is no topic title matching the responses, so itsvirtually impossible to search

The topic and its posts will live on. But you'll serve yourself and this community better if you use the forum software as it was intended and follow the forum recommendations:

RECOMMENDATIONS:

• One topic per photo or set of photos. Comment on the photos within the same topic.
  • Do NOT post additional unrelated photos to an existing topic.  Create a new topic instead.

THANKS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree. Love it. But.... Sometimes 30 days or more goes past before I have a chance to catch back up, and making comments on any of the photos is frustrating, because one has no idea if comments have already been made on it. 

While I absolutely love seeing the posted photos, I cannot fathom a newcomer going through all 600 pages.

I cannot offer any solution to the problem.

Is there any computer guru out there ( I am not one at all) that can volunteer under guidance ( from Peter or another moderator) to start to carefully go through the pages - perhaps starting with the first one, to copy and repost as a separate title under a specific make, or all the brass era photos under one title? I don't know how to do that or even it it can be done. The end of March the thread will be 4 years old. Maybe I am suggesting the impossible?

15 hours ago, Walt G said:

Is there any computer guru out there ( I am not one at all) that can volunteer under guidance ( from Peter or another moderator) to start to carefully go through the pages - perhaps starting with the first one, to copy and repost as a separate title under a specific make, or all the brass era photos under one title? I don't know how to do that or even it it can be done. The end of March the thread will be 4 years old. Maybe I am suggesting the impossible?

It actually would not be all that difficult to do. However, at this point, it would be a massive undertaking. One really big potential problem may exist? A lot of the photos were originally posted as hosted links which may (probably do) have expiration times connected to them. I know about two years ago, I went back through several earlier pages of postings, and saw a number of photos that had apparently expired.

I wish I could do it, however my family situation currently doesn't allow me much time. The reason my cars aren't getting done.

The only people that I currently know that are technically capable? Aren't personally stable enough for me to recommend them.

• Thanks 1

Another thought. Personally, I would not want the original thread to become lost descending down below as people are weaned off posting on it and using more "discussion" photo posting threads. If it were permanently pinned to the top, some people might feel more at ease in individual photo threads?

Walt, I cannot thank you enough for starting that incredible thread! I know it has helped me just looking forward to the almost daily new photos posted!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Walt G said:

I doubt anyone has the time to take this on.  As Wayne said, it's not that difficult, but it would take forever. Also, so many of the photos are not identified until way further on down the line, and there's no quick way to find "the answer" other than to sift through several pages following, all with pure hope that it got identified at all.

Maybe best to "lock" it, pin it at the top for all to see, then have future individual posts for each photo. If a photo doesn't need to be identified, the title of the post should be year/make of the car. If it does need to be identified, some sort of question in the subject line, then changed once it's been identified.

11 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Maybe I am suggesting the impossible?

my last line says it all.  As mentioned I am not a computer guru, so to even do what West suggests is beyond my ability .

I started the thread because I like period photos, information, material etc. and it gave us something to see during the pandemic when nothing was going on - no club meetings, local or national, no flea markets , no club events ( picnics, luncheons etc) plus it opened up a place for people to see period material that had many times been lying in collections for life times. Club publications do not have the space, West has told me that for stories I offered for the Antique Automobile. All understood and accepted .

I guess we all will see where and if the thread heads in the future and if it is tolerated.

WG

It would be a great help if the photo's could be sorted into decades { based on the year of the car , not the photo itself } Almost all the cars are identified, and a bit of latitude could be given for the ones where the exact year is not precisely pinned down. Say a suspected 1919 being posted both in 1910 - 1919 and 1920 - 1929.

I like all the photo's , but the ones I would be most likely to want to review would be the 1910 - 1919 decade. I am sure others would be in a similar spot, just different decades depending on ones individual interests.

A big job, but probably something that could be accomplished with some effort.

32 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Maybe best to "lock" it, pin it at the top for all to see, then have future individual posts for each photo. If a photo doesn't need to be identified, the title of the post should be year/make of the car. If it does need to be identified, some sort of question in the subject line, then changed once it's been identified.

"LOCK IT UP!" ...great Idea. That will encourage (force) individual posts that can be better identified and commented on.  Go for it.

11 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Walt, I cannot thank you enough for starting that incredible thread! I know it has helped me just looking forward to the almost daily new photos posted!

I vote for leaving it alone. I enjoy perusing the photos, whether they are identified or not. If it bothers someone, then don’t look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have given my opinion before but since the decision has restarted, I would rather scroll through a bunch of photos in one thread than open a bunch of links that have one photo.  If a photo is being posted asking for info or it is expected to generate comments or additional photos start a new link.

Most photos are not immediately identified so if that was a requirement they would not get posted at all or we would have hundreds of threads listed unknown car from 20s.

1910 Brush automobile, in the open corner entrance of an automobile sales business at 1911 or 1912 Ninth Street and Tacoma Avenue, Tacoma, Pierce County, WA, 1910. 

1970.45.29.jpg

Image from the WA State Historical Society

• 1 month later...

I have pulled all the images off of 589 pages of the thread.  Around 29,000 files, all randomly named, 6.3 GB.  Sadly, there is a lot of duplication, due to the unfortunate practice of quoting entire messages, including all images, in replies.

This is too big to send through WeTransfer.  If you're interested, PM me.  If can you send me a flash drive, with an addressed and postage-paid return mailer, I'll copy them onto it.

• Thanks 1