BEAUTIFUL 1988 CORVETTE, IMMACULATE, ALL ORIGINAL, STORED INSIDE - $10,000 (FORD RIVER MI)

• Reynard changed the title to BEAUTIFUL 1988 CORVETTE, IMMACULATE, ALL ORIGINAL, STORED INSIDE - $10,000 (FORD RIVER MI)

I have an '89 with the six speed that I really enjoy; has almost 83k on it. Never did understand why these are the subject of so much disdain, even and sometimes ESPECIALLY from other Corvette owners. C4 was an

absolute game changer when introduced in March of 1983 as an '84 model. Well kept ones are out there and are a blast to drive. Almost feels like a race car from the driving position. Not the fastest there ever was, but

a ton of fun, no matter if you choose the L98 engine like this one has, or the LT1 like the 92-96 cars have.

• Like 3

As a non corvette guy I like these. I remember when they came out how much I wanted one. Too young and no money🤔 I knew a couple of guys that bought new and they loved them. I dont think they are a bad car in general but from an 'outsiders' point of view. They were a welcome update to a very old platform. Compared to what came after (and before) them the styling is just kinda blah. The succeeding generations upped the ante in design and performance. A bit late compared to others but I think these could qualify as the malaise era vettes. 

• Like 1

Someone could buy this car (most likely for a bit under $10K) and have a comfortable and capable long distance performer eligible for AACA and VMCCA touring.  Modern creature comforts and serviceable at virtually any dealer or repair shop across the country.  ;)

• Like 3

Last year I did a deep dive into the C4s.  Bought a good buyers guide.  The affordability was the reason plus I like them.  

This particular car really speaks to me as I love that rare color and saddle interior.  Are you kidding me?  Where else can you find a collectible car for under $10,000 with 49,000 miles?   

I drove a 1993 Polo Green convertible with 17,000 original miles for $16,000.  I used facebook marketplace and ended up saving at least 20 cars within 200 miles of me in central Iowa.  I could have added another 25.  

I narrowed my search parameters.  This car certainly would have appealed to me but I became a horsepower geek. The first gen of C4 84-87 I avoided.  Low HP and the original style wheels.  

The 88-90s had these style of wheels and I like them the best.  I found maybe 2-3 I saved including an insanely low priced 7,500 original mile convertible for $15,000.  Weirdly, it went unsold for months because the owner was not familiar with Facebook marketplace and his son put it on and navigated the interest poorly.  He didn’t care a whole lot.  

But I focused on the 92-96 cars. 1996 was the last year. Lower production and they offered the fastest non ZR1 engine.  I was working with a seller in Charles City, Iowa with a collectors edition 1996 coupe with a 6 speed manual.  We agreed on $15,500.  I believe it had 55,000 miles or so but he had done a lot of work on it.  

That’s just it, a serious buyer needs to sift out the crap from the well owned cars. If I ask about maintenance and repair history and the response is none or what? I moved on. It’s easy to say it runs good and is well maintained, it’s another thing entirely to back it up with paper.  

I ended up buying a 2007 Mazda Miata which had the top of the line package for $10,500 with then 55,600 miles.  Stack of receipts, clothe convertible top, highest option package.  

But I would still love a C4 Corvette like this 1988 which as someone pointed out can likely be purchased for $9,000.  I specifically excluded the common colors seen and focused on Polo Green with saddle interiors, odd colors minimally produced in a particular year like a Teal Green color they offered, this Burgundy with saddle is simply beautiful.  Bright red was a common color.  Black. White.  I did look at a 1994 White convertible with black top even though I don’t like white too much. Interior choices were still varied such as a blood red leather and dark blue.  My obvious favorite is saddle so I would always look for that.  

I remember finding a 1996 black coupe with saddle interior.  But what someone stated about speed is correct. The 17,000 mile 1994 Polo Green convertible I test drove was rated at 0-60 in about 6.4 seconds I think but a person got a sense these cars were touring cars.  Not speed demons.  

I probably won’t buy one.  I just bought a 1981 Camaro Z28 project car with T Tops and the Miata scratches the same itch, but I hope I don’t regret it.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

The 17,000 mile 1994 Polo Green convertible I test drove was rated at 0-60 in about 6.4 seconds I think but a person got a sense these cars were touring cars.  Not speed demons.

That was my original point; a car like this one would be great for AACA or VMCCA touring.  Good performance, good looking, easy to maintain and 25+ years old with modern conveniences.  Oh - and did I mention bargain price...?  ;)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

ended up buying a 2007 Mazda Miata which had the top of the line package for $10,500 with then 55,600 miles.  Stack of receipts, clothe convertible top, highest option package.  

I did the exact same in 2010…..sold my ‘04 Corvette w/ 2 pedals and bought a ’91 Miata w/ 3 pedals and 28K miles. Never looked back and still own/love the Miata.

That being said, this Corvette looks like a good buy!

• Like 1

I dont get the need for a manual transmission (as Im building a 4 speed car right now!). Is it a macho thing or what? I dont mind shifting on my motorcycle but I have driven enough miles rowing through gears in a big truck to never care if I shift again. Maybe not so much in an older car, but a new auto will outrun a manual any day of the week, so its not a speed thing. My son had to have a manual when he bought his GTO. He had never driven one before, picked it up nicely and loves it now. But he told me the other day that after driving it for awhile he realizes an auto would have been just as good. 

I see both sides. I prefer automatics now that I’m 60.  I want my focus on the road and the driving experience.   

My wife has a 6 speed manual 2020 Camaro with 425 hp 6.2.  There is a visceral feeling that can not be matched by an automatic.  

I’ve had a few manuals in my life, most fun.  On the other hand there is not much fun with a 1950 American car with a 3 speed on the column and no power steering.   

This car is an example of what a hobbyist can affordably buy, and something that they can enjoy without a restoration.  It's not a split window '63, but it is definitely a Corvette! The malaise models were the last of the 70's models. But even those are still worthwhile. 

This is a 36 year old car in good cosmetic shape, look at those seats! I've always thought that Corvettes were cool, but have preferred other cars instead. I was a '60's kid, so who knows, maybe it's time for a Vette. 

• Like 1

My brother had a vette of this vintage and really enjoyed it. I have had vintage cars since I was 14, so 60 years and only owned one vette, a 78, that I bought just to flip. Had it one week. However, last year, I bought a beautiful 98 vette coupe. I love it. You have all the modern conviences and car can go anywhere at any speed. Sold my 36 Ford Cabriolet, and 68 Impala convertible. Still working on a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Sport Coupe, but, losing interest. This car is a great way for someone to get into the hobby.

22 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I dont get the need for a manual transmission (as Im building a 4 speed car right now!). Is it a macho thing or what? I dont mind shifting on my motorcycle but I have driven enough miles rowing through gears in a big truck to never care if I shift again. Maybe not so much in an older car, but a new auto will outrun a manual any day of the week, so its not a speed thing. My son had to have a manual when he bought his GTO. He had never driven one before, picked it up nicely and loves it now. But he told me the other day that after driving it for awhile he realizes an auto would have been just as good. 

For me, it's more engaging to drive. First, simple act of getting all the controls in sync is very satisfying, particularly on down-shifts.

The other part is having more control. I've long held the opinion that the measure of a car's handling is how it reacts to what the driver does with their feet, not their hands. How a car's line in a corner be adjusted when you trail the throttle or brake is important. Plus, how does power-on effect the exit from a corner. Manuals offered infinitely more control then automatics. That said, modern performance automatics are now on part with manuals. For old cars, the gap still exists.

Finally, since manuals are getting very difficult to buy new, I want to get them while I can.

• Like 1