1950 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster Sportabout Convertible

I realize it is three colors and has rust issues but I like it!   I'm still living in my HS days when I wanted this over my 2 door Special Deluxe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256391686805

1950 Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout Roadster. Very complete car, all the hard to find roadster and top pieces are there. Has had some paint and body work done to the front clip and passenger door. Does have typical rust on the floors. Trunk floor is in nice shape. It does run and drive well enough to load,but not in traffic, it does need the fuel system gone through along with the brakes, the brakes do "work" but not well enough for to be in traffic. It has the flathead six and the fluid drive transmission. Also has new Coker Classic 205/75R15s and a new battery. It does need a new top. I also have another  front clip, hood, left side rear fender, a front and rear bumper and some late 40s-early 50s misc parts that are included in the sale. i do have a title in my name for the car. What you see is what you get. Call  or Message with any question, I’ll be happy to help. 701-471-3350

image.jpeg.c3534895102b6c473f4572ae496e910b.jpeg

image.jpeg.e1ab63ca3ef6fde1d4b9f1b2c61c4861.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

The car shows how not to blend paint from one panel into the next.  This 1950 appears to have conventional windows.  I thought these were cool.

from Wikipedia regarding the 1949 model:

The roadster had removable plastic side windows instead of wind-down units, and a short top which eliminated the need for rear quarter windows. More permanent swing-out vent windows were available as an option. However, Californian regulations on hand signalling meant that roll-down windows had to be added quick and retro-fitted to Californian market vehicles.[7] This happened in September, after which the roll-down windows became a rarely selected delete-option.[5] A roadster with a rumble seat was even tested (with a bottom-hinged trunk lid), but the opening would have had to be moved and the cost of tooling up for such an option meant that it was soon dropped.[7]

• Like 2

Its really not a terrible car for the price.  I could use a tow vehicle too. Seeing the missing letter on the hood reminded me of the guy in high school who had a 50 coupe.  He rearrange his letters to spell DOG.

21 minutes ago, mikewest said:

I wonder why he calls it a roadster >??? It could be a good parts chaser car. My dad had a black TRUE ROADSTER  but it w\was so rusty the bottom fell right out of it. He junked it.

If I'm remembering the wiki entry for that model, they refer to it as a roadster. Although I agree it just looks like a normal convertible to me.

18 hours ago, theconvertibleguy said:

If I'm remembering the wiki entry for that model, they refer to it as a roadster. Although I agree it just looks like a normal convertible to me.

Many early cars were runabouts, which may or may not have had a standard or optional windshield and top and nothing more.  Then roadsters came along that also seated 2 or 3 people and had snap-in side curtains.  The '53-'55 Corvette is an example of a roadster.  Then in recent decades, some marketing types decided to get cute and define some small convertibles with roll-up windows as roadsters.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:53 PM, theconvertibleguy said:

The early 49 model was a true roadster (at least the way I understand it) with the lack of roll up windows.  After the roll-up windows were introduced they kept the moniker although it was no longer 100% true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

The early 49 model was a true roadster (at least the way I understand it) with the lack of roll up windows.  After the roll-up windows were introduced they kept the moniker although it was no longer 100% true.

I like that old Plymouth, I dont know why. Id like to see the floors with no carpets on them before the auction ends. Ive got a place close by where that car could be stored until cheap transport was found. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mikewest said:

I like that old Plymouth, I dont know why. Id like to see the floors with no carpets on them before the auction ends. Ive got a place close by where that car could be stored until cheap transport was found. 

Don't you have something else right now to keep you busy?

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 3:45 PM, alsancle said:

I realize it is three colors and has rust issues but I like it!   I'm still living in my HS days when I wanted this over my 2 door Special Deluxe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256391686805

1950 Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout Roadster. Very complete car, all the hard to find roadster and top pieces are there. Has had some paint and body work done to the front clip and passenger door. Does have typical rust on the floors. Trunk floor is in nice shape. It does run and drive well enough to load,but not in traffic, it does need the fuel system gone through along with the brakes, the brakes do "work" but not well enough for to be in traffic. It has the flathead six and the fluid drive transmission. Also has new Coker Classic 205/75R15s and a new battery. It does need a new top. I also have another  front clip, hood, left side rear fender, a front and rear bumper and some late 40s-early 50s misc parts that are included in the sale. i do have a title in my name for the car. What you see is what you get. Call  or Message with any question, I’ll be happy to help. 701-471-3350

image.jpeg.c3534895102b6c473f4572ae496e910b.jpeg

image.jpeg.e1ab63ca3ef6fde1d4b9f1b2c61c4861.jpeg

image.jpeg

AJ, I think it may be time for an intervention!

• Haha 1