1941 Graham Hollywood Supercharged - $59,000

Looks nice but searching this forum it make sure it hasn't been already posted revealed that this is almost double the typical price.  (more pics in ad) 

https://salem.craigslist.org/cto/d/salem-1941-graham-hollywood/7708263233.html

Very rare 1941 Graham Hollywood Supercharged, 1378 Examples built, with only 350 built the last year 1941. This is 1 of 15 with factory Overdrive. When Cord went out of business, Graham continued with the coachwork of these cars. You can look up a lot of information on the web about these cars. This car was shown many years at Branson Auto & Farm Museum in Missouri from he mid 1980's to 2016 when a enthusiast brought it to Texas. In 2019, it was sold to a friend of ours here in Newberg, Oregon. It has a 218 Inline 6, with Factory Graham Supercharger on it, pretty cool car, Original VIN take, with Numbers matching Engine ID is on the tag, and ID is stamped on side of the block. Runs and drive excellent, older restoration, but overall really nice car. It takes someone who wants something different, and has knowledge of these cars. It spent the last 4 years at a Newberg Winery on display, and driving folks around. Interior was all redone in wool in 2016. This is a really cool car, if you have interested let us know. $59,000 obo, Denwerks Vintage Car Shop, DA0612 Thanks Jason (503) 910-2085

image.png.99322745705528039bbb4041f38cf607.pngimage.png.70695333351c7e15b7c01e6f9fb8d6f8.pngimage.png.97656d226361ff13afc9442c358696d4.pngimage.png.b3441d3379b37b12682916b7b945a80d.pngimage.png.f8fd8dd99a5bae0fd62413baec2a0e85.pngimage.png.5fa517a4f029922cadf482933b448dad.pngimage.png.969278d8df4d7a1a79b93035571b2aae.png

• Like 3

That looks like a nice example of a very rare car, although the price seems a bit high.  But I can't look at one of these without thinking how sad that Gordon Buehrig's gorgeous Cord body ended up being repurposed by Graham.  The reworking of the front end is particularly unfortunate, with Buehrig's iconic "coffin nose" being transformed into a goggle-eyed frog.  The wonderful proportions of Buehrig's design were completely ruined.

• Like 2

This car is a frequent flyer on Bring a Trailer. Most recently bid to $36,000 and was a no-sale. Before that, it was sold at $49,250.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1941-graham-hollywood-supercharged-6/

I think the right price is closer to $36,000 than $60,000, which would buy you a decent Cord sedan.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Brass is Best said:

Those tires could be brand new. You can order them today if you want. I have done it several times.

37cp26.jpg

I'm been around a few of these Hollywoods and do think they are neat. You don't realize how much has been lost until you juxtapose the original design. Gordon Buehrig was a master! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

I am tempted to order them as a black wall next time. I like your Convertible Coupe. Very nice.

The problem with the cord is, they were all delivered with the double whites. However, I agree with you if I buy a set of tires I’m gonna get black walls.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

The problem with the cord is, they were all delivered with the double whites. However, I agree with you if I buy a set of tires I’m gonna get black walls.

The Indianapolis AAA record cars used Black Wall tires.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

This is 1 of 15 with factory Overdrive.

Oh? Was that even an option? I asked the question at the Graham club nationals when it was in Graham, WA, and was told no, because it didn't fit, but there is some trick you can do to make it happen and a few of them have overdrive now. Do any of you know more about this?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

Oh? Was that even an option? I asked the question at the Graham club nationals when it was in Graham, WA, and was told no, because it didn't fit, but there is some trick you can do to make it happen and a few of them have overdrive now. Do any of you know more about this?

So, if you read the BAT comments, you can see where I called this out. Then somebody else linked to a thread here on the forum where I specifically mentioned the 15 cars with overdrive. I wish I named the guy in the club  I talked to that said that 15 cars got the overdrive. It might’ve been Tom Mulligan. 

Anyways, if this is disinformation, I guess it started with me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

So, if you read the BAT comments, you can see where I called this out. Then somebody else linked to a thread here on the forum where I specifically mentioned the 15 cars with overdrive. I wish I named the guy in the club  I talked to that said that 15 cars got the overdrive. It might’ve been Tom Mulligan. 

Anyways, if this is disinformation, I guess it started with me.

I don't know if it's disinformation? I am no expert on these. If it is mechanical only, that could help explain it. It was an option in 37 on the Reo bodied cars that I am interested in. Those overdrives were pure mechanical, because that's just how a Borg Warner overdrive was in 37. They changed every year, and as I recall there is an article about all the versions on P15-D24.com. 39 may have been the first year for the electric ones in several makes(?). Maybe Graham had a few all-mechanical left overs?

My dad used to tell a story about thumbing a ride in Kansas in 39 or 40, and catching a ride with some salesman in a supercharged Hollywood. They were brand new at the time, maybe not even out yet, and I think it was the first one he had seen. The salesman was driving the Hollywood as fast as it would go, probably 80mph or more, at a time when people drove 45 or 50. He said you could see a long way ahead on the flat land, and now and then a car or tractor would be approaching from a side road, with no idea how fast that Graham was probably approaching. There were some close calls. I told that story to an informal group at the Graham nationals, and was surprised when 2 or 3 people said Hollywoods weren't built with overdrive because it doesn't fit, but some folks had managed to cram one in later on. Some newer car has an adapter that mounts the Overdrive solenoid on a right angle so it hugs the transmission. It might be the 49-50 Ford Convertible. Maybe that's the secret to getting it in there? This was several years ago, and I was brand new to the Graham club. I don't know if the people I was talking to were authorities on Hollywoods or not. There were some Hollywood owners in the room though.

Anyhow, thanks for responding. I hadn't seen the earlier thread before now. I was hoping you would jump in as you seem to know a lot about these cars. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

I don't know if it's disinformation? I am no expert on these. If it is mechanical only, that could help explain it. It was an option in 37 on the Reo bodied cars that I am interested in. Those overdrives were pure mechanical, because that's just how a Borg Warner overdrive was in 37. They changed every year, and as I recall there is an article about all the versions on P15-D24.com. 39 may have been the first year for the electric ones in several makes(?). Maybe Graham had a few all-mechanical left overs?

My dad used to tell a story about thumbing a ride in Kansas in 39 or 40, and catching a ride with some salesman in a supercharged Hollywood. They were brand new at the time, maybe not even out yet, and I think it was the first one he had seen. The salesman was driving the Hollywood as fast as it would go, probably 80mph or more, at a time when people drove 45 or 50. He said you could see a long way ahead on the flat land, and now and then a car or tractor would be approaching from a side road, with no idea how fast that Graham was probably approaching. There were some close calls. I told that story to an informal group at the Graham nationals, and was surprised when 2 or 3 people said Hollywoods weren't built with overdrive because it doesn't fit, but some folks had managed to cram one in later on. Some newer car has an adapter that mounts the Overdrive solenoid on a right angle so it hugs the transmission. It might be the 49-50 Ford Convertible. Maybe that's the secret to getting it in there? This was several years ago, and I was brand new to the Graham club. I don't know if the people I was talking to were authorities on Hollywoods or not. There were some Hollywood owners in the room though.

Anyhow, thanks for responding. I hadn't seen the earlier thread before now. I was hoping you would jump in as you seem to know a lot about these cars. :)

You really need to read the bat thread for laughs. Because I’m basically calling BS on the 15 car number and asking where the hell did that number come from. And eventually we figure out that the number came from me.

• Haha 4