1940 Pontiac Deluxe 6 oil under steering wheel

I took my car out for a short spin and found a fair amount of motor oil on the floorboard beneath the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. I'm thinking it's the oil pressure gauge. Anything I should look for? I'm pretty new to this.

Oh the opportunity for smart atz responses.  Tempting, tempting.  

What type of feed goes to the oil pressure gauge?  Guessing its a small diameter copper or steel tube, with a flare, or nut & ferrule connection.  If you are lucky, the connection is loose at the gauge and just needs to be snugged down.  More likely, the tube has cracked which will require replacement of some or all of it.  

Find the back of the gauge, then check the connection.  Clean everything up, start the car, and watch to see what leaks.  Should be enough room to get your head under the dash.  

Good luck.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had this problem on my 48 DeSoto.  I couldn't figure out what was wrong until someone told me that some previous mechanic might have replaced the oil pressure line with a brake line.  I checked the line going into the oil gauge and sure enough, it was a brake line!  The oil gauge uses a pipe fitting type of connection, not a brake line.  But finding the correct fitting was practically impossible.  Not an O'Reillys or Rock Auto type item.  NAPA either!  I had to get another one from a parts car!

• Like 1

The Pontiac most likely has a "threaded sleeve" connection to the gauge on steel Bundy tubing. I don't believe there should be any rubber line under the dash at all. "Threaded sleeve" fittings are uncommon today, but available at Blackhawk Supply, and maybe a few other places online. I doubt you would find them at an auto parts store. Steel Bundy tubing in that size is completely extinct in the North America. If it needs replacing, and you are in the US, you'll have to use copper refrigeration tubing. It works fine.

I think you'll have to get a look up under there. and see what it really has, and if someone has replaced it with inappropriate parts as @marcapra suggested.  It is also possible that the bourdon tube inside the gauge has popped and the gauge itself leaks. You don't usually see that though. I wonder if the fitting is just loose? The Threaded sleeve nut becomes part of the tubing after the first tightening, just like a ferrule does in a plumbing fitting. The threaded sleeve nut once attached to the line is reusable practically forever unless damaged. You shouldn't need one unless you are replacing tubing, and in that case you definitely need a couple as they are not removable from tubing. They are sold by tubing size.

Post pics of what you find, and we will try to help you figure it out.

https://blackhawksupply.com/collections/plumbing-brass-fittings-double-compression

Threaded sleeve nuts look like this:

16001_87daf558-f27f-4488-8ea2-61c89a11b2

• Like 2

18 hours ago, macleay said:

Thanks. I'll try to get my pudgy butt up under the dash and have a look.

That is what kids are for. Tell the kid to look under the dash while you are looking under the hood.

• Like 1