Charlotte 2024 - Two Shows

Akstraw

I note that for Charlotte this spring, there will be a Grand National Meet on Friday, and a National Meet on Saturday.  I have been thinking about my game plan.  Bring a an eligible car Friday, and show it again on Saturday?  or go back home (90 min one-way) and bring another car Saturday?  Is it a faux pas to show the same car Friday and Saturday?  Some may say “What’s the point?”, but I am not really chasing trophies; I just like to participate.  I am wondering what others are planning.

Good Question , I been wonder about this dual show my self 

let's say you bring a senior car on Friday for the Grand National competing for a Grand national Junior , Will the car still receive a repeat preservation award if the car scores over 350 ? or is it just competing for the junior award. Then the same thing on Saturday in the national could it also win another repeat preservation on Saturday . Can some one with a senior car attending both shows receive 2 preservation award this week end  

Thank in advance for the answer. See you folks there 

Great questions, as it has been quite a while since there has been a dual Meet.  Many showing a car in the Grand National will be showing the same car in the National on Saturday.  Some will bring a different car or additional car to the National.  At the Grand National, when going for a First Place Grand National award and you do not receive a First, Second or Third Grand National award and score 350 or above you will receive a Preservation award. You can receive a Preservation award at the National as well.  These are administratively run as two shows taking place at one event, so you will need to register for both events.  The same for Judges, they will have to register for two shows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 61polara said:

Great questions, as it has been quite a while since there has been a dual Meet.  Many showing a car in the Grand National will be showing the same car in the National on Saturday.  Some will bring a different car or additional car to the National.  At the Grand National, when going for a First Place Grand National award and you do not receive a First, Second or Third Grand National award and score 350 or above you will receive a Preservation award. You can receive a Preservation award at the National as well.  These are administratively run as two shows taking place at one event, so you will need to register for both events.  The same for Judges, they will have to register for two shows.

Hi Dave, silly question and no need to answer now if unknown, but for those planning to do both shows with the same vehicle and do NOT have trailers will there be an option to the leave the car on the showfield overnight if we choose to do so?

On 12/26/2023 at 8:58 PM, Akstraw said:

I note that for Charlotte this spring, there will be a Grand National Meet on Friday, and a National Meet on Saturday.  I have been thinking about my game plan.  Bring a an eligible car Friday, and show it again on Saturday?  or go back home (90 min one-way) and bring another car Saturday?  Is it a faux pas to show the same car Friday and Saturday?  Some may say “What’s the point?”, but I am not really chasing trophies; I just like to participate.  I am wondering what others are planning.

SO I have to say, If I had the ability to have 2 different cars at this show , with only a 90 minute drive , I would go for it . Looking forward to the show and seeing what you decide to bring 

The Embassy Suites on John Q Hammond Dr is the host hotel.  There are no events at the hotel, so it may be beneficial to shop rates at all of the hotels in the area.  Registration should be open by mid January.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

Charlotte registration information should be on line within the next two weeks. Recommended hotels are:

Embassy Suites 704-455-8200  AACA Special Rate $179

Comfort Inn  704-761-6803

Wingate by Marriott  704-979-1300

Hampton Inn  704-793-9700

Courtyard by Marriott 704-453-2600

Residence Inn  704-454-7862

Homewood Suites  980-313-3100

Also, Hilton University Place (5miles) 704-547-7444

Is there going to be a special rate at the Embassy Suites for AACA members?   I am ready to book now, but will wait if there is going to be a special rate.   Best rate for Friday night is $290 logging in as a Hilton Honors member, so I am hoping there will be a discounted rate for the show.  

Brian, there is not a special rate, so shop around for better prices as other area hotels.  Judges registration will be open in the next day or so and the meet registration open by early next week at the latest.

CORRECTION: THERE IS A SPECIAL AACA RATE AT THE EMBASSY SUITES OF $179.00

• Like 1

Brian, I just changed my reservation the other day at the Embassy Suites by calling the hotel. They gave me the AACA Nationals rate for $179. You might try calling the hotel because when I first booked on line through the Honors App it did not offer this rate.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

Is there a set order to how cars in the Driver Participation Class are parked? Or can you park next to friends with DPC cars that are of a different era or brand?

DPC and HPOF cars are parked in year order, within the award class they are seeking.  These will be assigned spaced at Charlotte.  Also, there are no DPC or HPOF cars in the Grand National, only the National on Saturday.  It will give you a chance to walk around and meet some new people.

Dave Bowman

Chief Judge

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 61polara said:

DPC and HPOF cars are parked in year order, within the award class they are seeking.  These will be assigned spaced at Charlotte.  Also, there are no DPC or HPOF cars in the Grand National, only the National on Saturday.  It will give you a chance to walk around and meet some new people.

Dave Bowman

Chief Judge

Thanks Dave. I have friends in the area who are a couple with young children and cars separated by 66 years. I was just curious how they’d be able to park. 
We all plan to be there and are looking forward to the show. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 61polara said:

Online registration is open for both shows and judging.  The room block at Charlotte is being expanded, but book soon if you want to stay at the Embassy Suite at a discounted rate.

Dave,

I plan to come the meets to Judge.  Can you let me know once the room block at Embassy Suites in Charlotte is oficially expanded?  I booked my room but, the only night that was available at the AACA rate was on Saturday night.  Once the block is expanded, I will call back to Embassy Suites to see if I can get a better rate than what I am currently being charged for each night.

Thanks, Tim

8 hours ago, 61polara said:

Try again today.  They are willing to expand the block as needed until the cutoff date of January 28.  We will see what they will do if the block is full at that time.

Thanks Dave.  I did call again and was able to get a room in the AACA block and saved a couple hundred dollars at the new rate despite that rate being a Hilton Honors discount.

Tim

• Like 1

Show and Judges registration is now open online.  Thanks to the work of our National staff, your show registration can now be paid for by credit card just like Judges registration has been for the past few years.  For those attending both shows, you only need to pay for trailer parking or motor home parking (and Ice Cream Social) on one of the two registrations not both.  Trailer parking, motor home parking and judges parking passes will be mailed about a week before the show.

Dave Bowman

Chief Judge

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 6:23 PM, 61polara said:

Online registration is open for both shows and judging.  The room block at Charlotte is being expanded, but book soon if you want to stay at the Embassy Suite at a discounted rate.

What’s the deadline for registering show cars? Is it possible to change what car is being shown after registration? I’m concerned the car I want to register might not be ready, but I’d bring something else in its place.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

WOW what a great show, Getting to see the Zenith award cars in person all in one tent was great. Getting to meet the owners was fun also. Walking the show field both days seeing all the cars. WOW , Where can you see so many great cars in one spot . I always explain to folks who have never gone it "Its The Best Of The Best" cars on display.  Also after meeting and chatting with so many folks who had their cars on Display,  I was surprised at how many of the cars were in families since new, and they are keeping and displaying the car in honor of a past family member 

I want to say Job Well done to the national folks, Job well done to the Hornets nest club, and Thank You also to all of the volunteers that made it happen , The poor folks freezing Saturday morning trying to park cars at day break . How great was it to have the Dual show 

Talk about a great value being apart of the club and all you get as a club member and then all you get when you display your car .

As always my only complaint is at the award ceremony by the time we get to category 25 or so the room is so loud with folks chattering its hard to hear who won what .Once your category is read if you cant be quiet ,Leave the room. No matter how many time the chief judge asks for quiet with in a few moments it rises again. and if he raises his voice above the crowd they just raise theres above him .

Thank you Again . I am already looking forward to our next event in Upstate NY in June 

• Like 1

CarNucopia and 1967 Red Deville, thank you for the appreciation.  61 polara (chief judge) and I will relay your kind words to the HNR at our next monthly meeting.  

While the Charlotte Motor Speedway does provide us with a great venue site, there are some things that come with that venue in NC during April, including the tents and the cold.  Yes, everyone should be quieter while other awards are read, but we know the tent scatters the noise and does not absorb it.  As to the cold, come to our Auto Fest in the Fall and we North Carolinians will make it up to you with 90-degree weather.

I want to add a shout out to Tom Gibson who did such a great job as the Zenith coordinator, to my bride who recruited the show field tent team, to President Jack Harris who kept us moving in the right direction and CEO Steve Moskowitz who never sits down!

• Like 3

I agree with Cornucopia and 1967 Red Deville and I would like to add my appreciation to all the Hornet's Nest members and AACA staff for putting on and hosting 3 great shows. Thank you for everyone for all your hard work! It was a fun weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all that attended the Dual Meet in Charlotte.  It was a great turnout of cars with at least one vehicle in every Class.  And special thanks to all the Judges that responded to the call for additional judges needed.

Dave Bowman

Chief Judge 2024 Grand National and National, Charlotte 2004

AACA National Director

• Like 1