Can someone identify this car with two front ends?

marcapra

When I used to substitute teach in Imperial Beach in the 80s, I used to take the Silver Strand up to Coronado so I could take the breath-taking free direction Coronado bridge over San Diego Bay and see the beautiful harbor and skyline.  Palm Avenue had a lot of interesting night clubs.  I remember seeing an old car mounted about 20 feet in the air, and this curious car made from two front ends welded together.  I took this pic around 1984.  I wondered if this car was still there advertising Lydia's Cafe.  But a lot has changed since 1984!  Palm Avenue was widend and the cafe is now an urgent care building!  

orangecar.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marcapra said:

When I used to substitute teach in Imperial Beach in the 80s, I used to take the Silver Strand up to Coronado so I could take the breath-taking free direction Coronado bridge over San Diego Bay and see the beautiful harbor and skyline.  Palm Avenue had a lot of interesting night clubs.  I remember seeing an old car mounted about 20 feet in the air, and this curious car made from two front ends welded together.  I took this pic around 1984.  I wondered if this car was still there advertising Lydia's Cafe.  But a lot has changed since 1984!  Palm Avenue was widend and the cafe is now an urgent care building!  

orangecar.jpg

I remember it well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, marcapra said:

orangecar.jpg

From July 1966 to 68 I was stationed at NAS North Island working on 9cyl radial airplane engines in one of the sub chaser/killer squadrons. The Viet Nam war was going on and the barracks were crowded so they paid us to live in town if we wanted to,we did. Rented a house in Imperial Beach a block from the pier and discovered the ocean. A little different than living at 6062' above sea level in the SE corner of Wyoming. 

• Like 2

I would assume that most of these double front cars were made to be head turners to draw your attention to a business like a garage or a restaurant.  I just found this old snapshot in the back of an old desk.  I'd like to see any other pics of cars like this.  

• Like 2

There was a similar topic thread recently, including a discussion between Keiser and me about an orange, double ended Pontiac Catalina that sat for years outside the Catalina Lounge at Voltaire and Catalina, also in San Diego/Point Loma.  Made inquiries about it to the current Lounge owners and to a local photographer, both without any success.  Still trying to locate a photo of that one. 

• Like 2