Apparently, this old Studebaker 2R was from a plastering contractors' company. Any ideas on the truck itself or the company?

baper.da.cow

3 hours ago, baper.da.cow said:

I tried reuploading the other two separately, but it did nothing. The original files are right-side up, but for some odd reason they always appear upside-down ONLY on this website.

Some digital pictures get orientation reference data from the device being used to take the pictures and software on sites like this read that data and react to it.  I run into this with iPad photos and the way the iPad is held to take the photo.  Frustrating at times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For a 1950s plastering company you will have to go and look for old advertising, phone books etc.

Plastering in Illinois would have been for interior walls in buildings not pools. Drywall when it first came out was 16 inches by 8 feet so there was still a lot of mud work involved.

1 hour ago, 28 Chrysler said:

For a 1950s plastering company you will have to go and look for old advertising, phone books etc.

Plastering in Illinois would have been for interior walls in buildings not pools. Drywall when it first came out was 16 inches by 8 feet so there was still a lot of mud work involved.

But the thing is, I can't seem to find a thing even remotely related to this company.

I think this old Studebaker workhorse is beyond a cost-effective restoration, but I'm tickled you've noticed it and have some interest in old vehicles.

Three or four digit phone numbers were common on local phone exchanges thru early 1960s so that helps date the company.

Woodstock is now a Chicago suburb and appears to be the county seat of McHenry County. Try contacting the McHenry County local historical society. They'd be a great source of information on old businesses in the area. They or the local library may have an old business directory covering the truck's company owner.

Quick google found this:

https://mchenrycountyhistory.org/

I have to say I'm surprised at their research fee. Here I am a member of four county historical societies and two local museums and we've never charged for research, though we usually get a donation from the requestor. I guess being in a high cost-of-living area drives it.

Here's their library:

http://www.mchenrylibrary.org/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• baper.da.cow changed the title to Apparently, this old Studebaker was from a plastering contractors' company. Any ideas on the truck itself or the company?
On 12/2/2023 at 1:32 PM, Oldtech said:

Looks like a 1954 one ton, or larger.  54 was first year for one piece windshield but retained the 2R styling from 49 to 53. 

I'M gonna back down my year a couple. This is a 2R from 49-53. The center post of the windshield is gone which  I now see just rusted out.  

3 minutes ago, baper.da.cow said:

No dude, I was talking about the company printed on the side of the door.

Sorry, can't help you with that.  A local library may have back issues of local business directories that list the plastering company.  If you can find the owner's name, there may still be relatives living in the area who can help you.  Good luck with your search.

• Thanks 1

• baper.da.cow changed the title to Apparently, this old Studebaker 2R was from a plastering contractors' company. Any ideas on the truck itself or the company?
8 hours ago, 7th Son said:

The hood looks to be in relatively good condition. It could be put to good use:

image.png.637d6d1be18f62328488fad7bf69a4f8.pngimage.png.40bbaeb224db9af67a58fce168bc21b6.pngimage.png.c5c5b1dabce41d08154a11b86b1d62b9.png

The door has possibilities, too, as wall art:

image.png.791cb11e135ff2113f445d902acec004.pngimage.png.196496057f9263e4fe77d4a29e9cb79c.pngimage.png.1ebcab10b011dd940b61605ba5e04bb0.png

Nah, I think Ima try and restore it first. If that doesn't work out then yeah, I'll try out your ideas.

• 2 months later...