39 Buick Roadmaster stuck won’t shift

Roadmaster

This won’t allow me to upload the video of what it’s doing but I’m needing help. Bought this car and test drove it. Got it home, text drove again then couldn’t shift , got a grinding sound. Was able to get into what I think might be 3rd gear and got in the driveway but can’t get into garage. The gear won’t shift at all now . Can’t get into any other gear . When I put the clutch down it doesn’t roll. It won’t go forward either anymore . Please help. I’ve never driven anything this old. Def damsel in distress lol 

IMG_1992.jpeg

The 1939 Transmission is a one year only design. The transmission is shifted by cables that can be a bit tricky to work on. I don't know that much about it, but others on this site, especially in the Pre-War Buick section of the forum, can certainly help. Where are you located? Hopefully there will be a Pre-War Buick guy near you who can help in person. 

I had this happen with my '39 Century.  I would like to suggest the issue is in the clutch since the car won't roll with the clutch petal pushed down.  I had a mechanic and he set the parking brake, start the engine in gear and " burned in the clutch".  Clutch and transmission have worked fine since.  Be careful, best of luck with your new wheels.  Gary

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cxgvd said:

I had this happen with my '39 Century.  I would like to suggest the issue is in the clutch since the car won't roll with the clutch petal pushed down.  I had a mechanic and he set the parking brake, start the engine in gear and " burned in the clutch".  Clutch and transmission have worked fine since.  Be careful, best of luck with your new wheels.  Gary

I have done hundreds of clutches, on many exotic and unusual machines..........I have never heard of anyone "burning in a clutch". And personally anyone who would do something like that wouldn't work on my cars. Currently I am making three clutches from scratch for my own cars.........doing the metalurgy is very difficult on the steel disks..........I do recommend talking to the Buick guys who are familiar with that type of transmission. The clutch should be nothing special. Sounds like there may be multiple issues, as the car should easily go into any gear. Take your time, figure it out. Don't be afraid to pull it all apart.

• Like 3

Roadmaster, as MCHinson suggested above please go to the Buick site on this same forum and post your issue on “Prewar” section, I can guarantee you that you will get help.  I have two early Buicks a 1915 and a 1928 and over the years I have been given lots of help from the Buick guys.  Some collectors such as my self have various makes of cars and others stick with one brand.  So it is not unusual for a Buick collector not to look at other sections of the forum.  Also it might be helpful to let our forum know generally what area you are in, that will help steer you to a Buick club or perhaps a trusted shop in your area.  I have even heard of club members getting together and head over to a new members garage and fix the problem.  Personally that has never happened to me yet, but there is always hope😀

• Like 1

The gear selector will not move when the engine is running, or also not moving with the engine off? Yes, go down the first page of topics to Buick Pre-War.

Oh that was a common scene at traffic lights back in the 60s and 70s. The column would wear allowing the shift fork ln the column to not pull the rod to get out of third gear, then the driver would go for first, and the fork would allow the rod to first to move, and the transmission would be in first and third with the vehicle not moving! Then the driver would set the parking brake and raise the hood and grab at the rods hoping to get them to move.

Youse floor shifter people have no idea....😉

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

It is not uncommon for the clutch disc to stick (rust?) to the pressure plate on old cars that are not used often.   When this happens you cannot shift out of the gear it is in or get into another gear.   This would happen to me on a 1940's Buick.   I would try to get it into first or reverse and then try to start it in gear while pressing in the clutch pedal.   The car would lurch forward or back and then I would hit the brake.   You could hear the clutch disengage with a distinct sound.

One way to avoid this is to use the car more often.

Joe, BCA 33493

• Like 1